Thread: Newly Completed Brescian Mandolin in Walnut and Maple

Default Newly Completed Brescian Mandolin in Walnut and Maple

Just completed this Brescian Mandolin in curly Claro Walnut and Curly Maple.
    It has geared tuning pegs and Aquilla nylon strings. Tuned to a standard GDAE.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCI0021.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	207.2 KB 
ID:	202499

Name:	DSCI0010.JPG 
Views:	70 
Size:	603.1 KB 
ID:	202500

Name:	DSCI0009.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	221.4 KB 
ID:	202501

Name:	DSCI0014.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	303.8 KB 
ID:	202502

Name:	DSCI0015.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	328.2 KB 
ID:	202503

Name:	DSCI0016.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	739.5 KB 
ID:	202504

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Tukanu For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Newly Completed Brescian Mandolin in Walnut and Maple

A fine creation, David. Very elegant design and timber choices. The geared violin tuning pegs are such a good idea too.
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

4. The following members say thank you to John Kelly for this post:

Tukanu 

Thank you. John. I think the traditional mustache bridge is a bit too much "19th century", so I tried for something more contemporary. The arm rest is a nice nod to the designs of the modern German and Italian builders.

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Beautiful work, David. A pleasure to the eye and I'm certain to the ear.

I am an architect and a furniture and industrial designer, though not an instrument designer.

The task of designing something as complex as a bowlback mandolin with both a particular functionality and balancing historical and contemporary design aesthetics is an extraordinary task.

You've done an amazing job. Elegant and delightful.

A question though, as I have never played a Brescian mandolin (though my theorbo-playing nipote, Pablo, has his eye out for one)....

The action appears a tad high for a steel strung bowlback player like myself.

Is this a function of the photo angle, or do the strings used allow for a bit higher playing action in favor of pick technique, sound quality, etc.?

Thank you so much for sharing.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

7. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

Tukanu 

Thank you for the kind words, Mick. The action is set at .03 at the first fret, and .09 at the 12th fret. I think this is pretty standard for nylon stringed instruments like the ukulele. The fretboard is thicker than normal in order to provide some additional strength for the neck-to-bowl joint. This may give the impression of higher action over the strings.

I did a thread a while back about the design process.
    You might be interested in it: "Building a Mandolino Bresciano in 40 pictures".

I am currently working on Bresciano #5, with a claro walnut bowl. It is a little larger version than the photos above. Pablo might be interested?

Name:	DSCI0006 (2).jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	397.6 KB 
ID:	202630

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tukanu View Post
    Thank you for the kind words, Mick. The action is set at .03 at the first fret, and .09 at the 12th fret. I think this is pretty standard for nylon stringed instruments like the ukulele. The fretboard is thicker than normal in order to provide some additional strength for the neck-to-bowl joint. This may give the impression of higher action over the strings.

I did a thread a while back about the design process.
    You might be interested in it: "Building a Mandolino Bresciano in 40 pictures".

I am currently working on Bresciano #5, with a claro walnut bowl. It is a little larger version than the photos above. Pablo might be interested?

Name:	DSCI0006 (2).jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	397.6 KB 
ID:	202630
    Thanks, David.

You know, I went back to look again on your photos and I realized what threw my eye off...being only single strung, there is a tad more distance between the edge of the fretboard and the low (G?) string. I believe that made the strings appear to be hovering higher....in zooming in the look just great.

I'll check in with my nephew and see what his thoughts are. He (well, his parents likely) just shelled out for a new custom made theorbo so he may be strapped for a little while. (That sounds kind of odd. Are there any non-custom made theorbos...?)

Would be nice to get your work on his radar so I'll pass your CCM link along to him.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

10. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

Tukanu