Thread: Advice on valuing my fathers Stefan Sobell mandolin

Question Advice on valuing my fathers Stefan Sobell mandolin

Hi,

My father has asked me to sell his mandolin for him as he hasn't played it the in past few years due to ill health and sadly this situation is not going to improve.

It is an 8 string mandolin which he bought new from Sobell in 1980.

He has decided to part with his mandolin and use the cash for other things which will make him more comfortable and he would like me to take care of the sale as he is not up to it.

The thing is, I have very little idea about where is best to do this or what the value of his mandolin is. I'm worried if I take it to a dealer of some sort they will get themselves a very good deal due to my lack of knowledge. I obviously want my dad to get a fair price.

Can anyone please give any advice to me about where to go to get a fair valuation please. I am located in South Wales, UK but am happy to drive a few hours if necessary.

Many thanks
    Leanne

Default Re: Advice on valuing my fathers Stefan Sobell mandolin

It looks like that builder will provide a listing for previously sold mandolins, which might be the most direct way. No idea if he takes a comission, but at least I'd guess he could provide a pricing suggestion.

https://www.sobellguitars.com/available-now/
    2018 Kentucky KM-950, 2017 Ellis A5 Deluxe

3. The following members say thank you to keith.rogers for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by English Rose View Post
    Hi,

My father has asked me to sell his mandolin for him as he hasn't played it the in past few years due to ill health and sadly this situation is not going to improve.

It is an 8 string mandolin which he bought new from Sobell in 1980.

He has decided to part with his mandolin and use the cash for other things which will make him more comfortable and he would like me to take care of the sale as he is not up to it.

The thing is, I have very little idea about where is best to do this or what the value of his mandolin is. I'm worried if I take it to a dealer of some sort they will get themselves a very good deal due to my lack of knowledge. I obviously want my dad to get a fair price.

Can anyone please give any advice to me about where to go to get a fair valuation please. I am located in South Wales, UK but am happy to drive a few hours if necessary.

Many thanks
    Leanne
    Keith is right, why not contact Stefan yourself, and ask him for some advice. Prices in the UK are quite different than they are here in the US.

https://www.sobellguitars.com/
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

5. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

Blog Entries

When you've done that contact the BBMG to get it listed in the next newsletter.
    That will get it out in front of an audience of good players who will appreciate a decent instrument.
    https://www.bbmg.org.uk/contact-us/
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

7. The following members say thank you to Beanzy for this post:

Thank you Eoin, I didn't know about the BBMG so that is great advice

Yes, definitely contact Stefan. There are few, if any, dealers in the UK who I’d trust to value an instrument like this.

Once you have an idea of value, you could do worse than advertise it in the Cafe Classifieds. A Sobel mandolin isn’t exactly something you could simply go out and buy so I doubt you’d have that much difficulty finding a buyer.

10. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post:

Thank you, my dad is in no position to cross question about the value of it so all of the wisdom on here is appreciated.

Hi English Rose,

Stefan Sobell has got a page on his web site where he advertises instruments which are available now. Very often these are instruments which are being sold on behalf of people like your dad, who are no longer able to play them.
    Stefan very kindly offers a platform for people like yourself to sell such instruments through his site. Believe me, you are certainly not alone in this.

Here is a comment made by someone who is trying to sell something at the moment:

"The reason for sale is that sadly it is no longer played, so it is a complete waste having such a lovely instrument stuck in its box. I d rather someone else has the pleasure of playing it. "

This is a typical comment.

Check it out at:

https://www.sobellguitars.com/available-now/

I am sorry that your father is not well.
    David A. Gordon

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dagger Gordon For This Useful Post:

Another quick word of advice - avoid selling it to someone in th USA. The paperwork involved simply isn’t worth the effort, especially if the mandolin includes materials of animal origin (e.g. even fret markers/dots).

15. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post:

Agreed the paperwork is a nightmare.
    Trevor
    Formerly of The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) Brighton England now retired.

Ditto - agreed again! Selling into the US has indeed become a nightmare (recent experience talking). I'm also planning to sell my Sobell mandolin and appreciate the above advice as well!
    Too many instruments...too little time