Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Nick's Front Porch Mandolin

Default Re: Nick's Front Porch Mandolin

It may be the case that you are not selling yourself positively, Nick. In your last two posts you include the comments "This is a terrible recording, just someone in the front row with a recorder" and "I kind of whiffed the ending". While your honesty is commendable it may be that potential listeners are put off by what might be seen by them as posting stuff that is not really ready for posting, so they just give it a miss? You have regularly posted some really good material here with great playing and recording quality (as I commented on back in mid-September) so don't sell yourself short.
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Kelly For This Useful Post:

With the Performer-Anonymous Audience setup I guess one way to do it would be to encourage the audience. (though you’d have to know how they want to be encouraged).
    Then they will maybe reciprocate.

You could post a tune to the SAW social group? They are almost always encouraging -they don’t need you to give them a lot of encouragement for that.
    And it’s nice sometimes to have an audience who knows you.
    You don’t have to play well, just make the audience feel good about the music (that you happen to be playing).
    It’s more about them and the music, what they want.

And if a performer tells the audience their playing is bad, it’s a bit like telling the audience that they are bad.
    If your playing that night is rough, they need to know that just this time, rough is good.

4. The following members say thank you to Simon DS for this post:

Oops, sorry about the last post, I only wanted to post the middle paragraph but got called out before I could edit it.

6. The following members say thank you to Simon DS for this post:

Unfortunately the well-recorded tunes didn't generate any response either. I think Keith, in Post#29 probably put his finger on the problem. I'm likely barking up the wrong tree here. I'm not very computer savvy but maybe I'll try to figure out Soundcloud (whatever that is) or YouTube.

8. The following members say thank you to nick delmore for this post:

If you can create mp3 files (which you are already doing to post here, Nick) you can put stuff on Soundcloud. I had a Soundcloud account for a while, both the free one and then one I paid for, but after a while I cancelled it and opened a YT channel, which is where I still post my recordings, as I enjoy the visual aspects of making recordings. Even with over 400+ subscribers on my channel the viewing figures seem not to reflect this, but such is life! The SAW Group on the Cafe site here has a very small core of regular posters/responders (both Simon and I are in this group) and very many more who just look and listen but do not comment. Such is the way of things.
    Keep on playing and recording anyway even if just for your own enjoyment. It keeps us on an even keel in all the hard times
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Kelly For This Useful Post:

I regularly Check out your new post and have enjoyed a whole lot of your music. Thanks for putting on the Cafe. Like a lot of people I don't always post a reply. Don't let that discourage you. There are almost 3700 views on this thread. Somebody is checking out your music.

Adam

12. The following members say thank you to addamr for this post:

This another live recording. I don't recall why but for some reason there's a lot of mando in the mix. Since I'm playing mostly rhythm, you get a lot of that.

4 blue funk live.mp3

This is a one-mic recording, just sitting in a circle with the mic in the middle. It's called "Down In Chapman's House"

10 Track 10.mp3

15. The following members say thank you to nick delmore for this post:

A good recording here, Nick. Listening on headphones the balance seems good between the instruments. The tune seems to echo so many others of this genre.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kelly View Post
    A good recording here, Nick. Listening on headphones the balance seems good between the instruments. The tune seems to echo so many others of this genre.
    Thanks John, that was exactly what I was going for. The tune was written as a tribute to oldtime fiddler Snake Chapman.

This is an original arrangement of a couple of trad. tunes, Red Haired Boy & My Maggie. RH Boy is slowed down & dropped to "D". My Maggie gets the opposite treatment. Can't believe I used to be able to play that fast.

RH BoyMyMaggie.mp3

19. The following members say thank you to nick delmore for this post:

Here's an attempt at something jazzy in the key of "Ab":

MB_Cook Street Strut.mp3

21. The following members say thank you to nick delmore for this post:

Another one, just called "Swing Thing".

MB_Swing Thing.mp3

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nick delmore For This Useful Post:

This is a slow blues that was influenced by the playing of pianist Floyd Cramer:

MB_Lazy 88.mp3

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nick delmore For This Useful Post:

This is a fiddle tune I wrote with a cross-picked intro. I was fortunate enough to have the great flatpicker Slavek Hanzlik playing rhythm guitar.

Uncle Roy.mp3

A medley of two more of my tunes, from a live recording:

The Overlander's Trek-Down East Reel.mp3

28. The following members say thank you to nick delmore for this post:

Here's an idea I'm fooling around with. It's unfinished & unnamed but I think there's some potential. Kind of falls into a Motown groove in the second section.

new tune idea.mp3

I don't think I've posted a waltz yet. I've written several. Here's one:

MB_Paradise Waltz.mp3

Here's one I dedicated to the great mandolinist Lou Martin, whose Rounder album "Recent Work" is one of my favourite bluegrass-oriented mandolin records. It's called "Lou's Blues".

Lou's Blues.mp3

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nick delmore For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by nick delmore View Post
    Here's one I dedicated to the great mandolinist Lou Martin, whose Rounder album "Recent Work" is one of my favourite bluegrass-oriented mandolin records. It's called "Lou's Blues".

Lou's Blues.mp3
    The elusive Lou Martin; forgot about him. Website is down? I have one of his books; something about sight reading classical for mandolin.

Nice tune BTW

34. The following members say thank you to Perry for this post:

I like that "Lou's Blues", I remember Lou Martin lived around the NY Capital District for a while, saw him play with Walt Micheals at Old Songs I think.

Nice pickin' there
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

36. The following members say thank you to tmsweeney for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by tmsweeney View Post
    I like that "Lou's Blues", I remember Lou Martin lived around the NY Capital District for a while, saw him play with Walt Micheals at Old Songs I think.

Nice pickin' there
    Thanks a lot. That album was a huge influence on me but not one that gets talked about very much. I bet it flew under the radar for a lot of folks.

Quote Originally Posted by nick delmore View Post

Lou's Blues.mp3
    I took lessons from Lou back around 1985. The lessons were by the state-of-the-art method of mailing a cassette back and forth. I was passing through Syracuse at one point, and got an in-person lesson. (Also a request to take Lou out to lunch. )

I'm grateful that he made me learn to read standard notation.

D.H.

39. The following members say thank you to Dave Hicks for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hicks View Post
    I took lessons from Lou back around 1985. The lessons were by the state-of-the-art method of mailing a cassette back and forth. I was passing through Syracuse at one point, and got an in-person lesson. (Also a request to take Lou out to lunch. )

I'm grateful that he made me learn to read standard notation.

D.H.
    Cool. I've always felt like he'd be a good teacher. He has that vibe to me, for some reason. Here's another thread on Lou: https://mandolincafe.com/forum/threa...in-Recent-Work

41. The following members say thank you to nick delmore for this post:

I played in a Klezmer band for a few years. This is something I wrote during that time.
    Attached Files Attached Files