Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Nick's Front Porch Mandolin

Default Nick's Front Porch Mandolin

I posted some tunes I'd written on mandolin over in the "Bluegrass" section but I've realized this is probably the better place for original stuff. Plus, some of my tunes are definitely not bluegrass.

Inspired by Frank's Mandolin Kitchen (great thread) I decided to call this one "Nick's Front Porch Mandolin". I used to be in a band that rehearsed on the guitar player's front porch. Neighbours would stop by & listen, maybe chat for a bit. Sometimes the kids would hang out, do funny little kid dances & stuff. Fond memories.

Anyway, I'll post some sound files here. I'm hoping to get into video eventually but I've just ordered custom mandolins from two different builders so money's a bit tight right now.

windermere county breakdown (1).mp3

- - - Updated - - -

lonesome ramble (1).mp3

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to nick delmore For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Nick's Front Porch Mandolin

Two really great tunes Nick! I mean really great!

4. The following members say thank you to Frankdolin for this post:

That was a great listen. Enjoyed both tunes.

Adam

6. The following members say thank you to addamr for this post:

This one is from a rehearsal where I was too close to the mic. My rhythm drowns out the banjo breaks a bit:

Seasick.mp3

Thanks, Frank. I really like what you're doing as well. I'm just starting to dig in on your YouTube channel. Some great vids!

9. The following members say thank you to nick delmore for this post:

Here's one more. I decided it was a "stomp" so I cheekily called it BG Stomp No. 2

Bluegrass Stomp #2.mp3

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nick delmore For This Useful Post:

Is anyone using an iOS device able to see or hear these mp3s? I can open every kind of attachment except this kind.

Quote Originally Posted by nick delmore View Post
    I posted some tunes I'd written on mandolin over in the "Bluegrass" section but I've realized this is probably the better place for original stuff. Plus, some of my tunes are definitely not bluegrass.

Inspired by Frank's Mandolin Kitchen (great thread) I decided to call this one "Nick's Front Porch Mandolin". I used to be in a band that rehearsed on the guitar player's front porch. Neighbours would stop by & listen, maybe chat for a bit. Sometimes the kids would hang out, do funny little kid dances & stuff. Fond memories.

Anyway, I'll post some sound files here. I'm hoping to get into video eventually but I've just ordered custom mandolins from two different builders so money's a bit tight right now.

windermere county breakdown (1).mp3

- - - Updated - - -

lonesome ramble (1).mp3
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	202559Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	58.5 KB 
ID:	202560

Muth Two Point & Black A-4. Both expected late 22/early23.

A different version of "Lonesome Ramble", from a commercial recording:

07 Track 7.mp3

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nick delmore For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buesseler View Post
    Is anyone using an iOS device able to see or hear these mp3s? I can open every kind of attachment except this kind.
    I couldn’t either

Quote Originally Posted by Nbayrfr View Post
    I couldn’t either
    It works on my iPhone using the Chrome browser, because it lets you download the actual MP3 to your Files, and you can play it there. It doesn't work with Safari on my iPhone.
    2018 Kentucky KM-950, 2017 Ellis A5 Deluxe

18. The following members say thank you to keith.rogers for this post:

Really nice tunes, thank you for posting!

20. The following members say thank you to chipotle for this post:

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nick delmore For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buesseler View Post
    I use this free player. So far I haven't encountered anything it can't open.

https://www.videolan.org/vlc/

24. The following members say thank you to nick delmore for this post:

Nice tunes and picking Nick! Please post more when you can!

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skip Kelley For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Kelley View Post
    Nice tunes and picking Nick! Please post more when you can!
    Thankyou Skip. I've written between 60-70 tunes (some aren't completed) & have recordings of quite a few. Some live, some from rehearsals & a few have been commercially recorded. They're all over the place, in terms of sound quality but I'll keep posting them as I find them (going through some old SD cards to see what's on them). If I could digitize cassette tapes I'd have a lot more.

Here's one I just discovered that's definitely not bluegrass. It's a mandolin duet I wrote & put in a medley with another tune, Kazatsky, which I think is an Andy Statman tune or at least one that he did. This was just a practice session & listening back, probably a pretty early one. It eventually got a lot cleaner.

MMD-Kazatski.mp3

Quote Originally Posted by nick delmore View Post
    Here's one I just discovered that's definitely not bluegrass. It's a mandolin duet I wrote & put in a medley with another tune, Kazatsky, which I think is an Andy Statman tune or at least one that he did. This was just a practice session & listening back, probably a pretty early one. It eventually got a lot cleaner.

MMD-Kazatski.mp3
    The title, "MMD", is a nod to David Grisman's great tune "EMD". When that came out, I always wondered what EMD stood for, thinking it was probably something really cool. Later I found out it's "Eat My Dust", some B movie Grisman did the soundtrack for. My naming story is equally, if not even more mundane. When we were rehearsing this one of the guys asked what the tune was called. I didn't have title so I said I don't know, it's just my mandolin duet. My Mandolin Duet. MMD. Why not, I thought. I get a title & get to give a shout out to the Dawg at the same time.

Back to bluegrass. My inspiration to write a tune in "Bb" was Frank Wakefield's "New Camptown Races".

Two River Rapids.mp3

This one's more in the old time vein. Wrote this while snowed in. There wasn't really six feet, it was more like about three. But it felt like six.

Six Feet Of Snow.mp3

Another original. My roomates & I liked to go to the market on Tuesdays bcs a certain old man was there on that day with a particularly good selection of fruits & vegetables. One time they went but I stayed home & wrote this tune:

old man at the market.mp3

Maple Road. I don't really have any story for this one. Sometimes a tune is just a tune. From a rehearsal:

maple road.mp3

This one was written while watching a documentary on TV. It was the story of how a bunch of farmers from Saskatchewan had somehow heard of the plight of some Nicaraguan farmers had some older equipment but couldn't get parts for the stuff. These old boys from the Canadian prairies somehow got a container, or maybe two I forget, full of parts together & an aid organization had it shipped to Nicaraguan. But the farmers also went to show them how to fix this stuff & get it working. The doc was subtitled, so I was able to watch it with the sound off while messing around with this tune. The title came from the moment where the young Nicaraguan farmer was sitting on the tractor when they finally got it to fire up. The look on his face was pure joy. I like learning the stories of how tunes get their titles so I'm hoping someone else does too. Anyway, here's the tune:the new plow.mp3

35. The following members say thank you to nick delmore for this post:

Here's Nicks' The New Plow with some pics. I have it as " unlisted ", so the link should be available if copied.

37. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Frankdolin For This Useful Post:

Thanks for doing that, Frank. Some cool old tractors there. I wish I had the original documentary I was watching. Scenes from that would be fun to use. BTW, I've had a chance to watch a bunch more of your videos & I'm really enjoying them. Such clean, precise playing. Very beautiful!