Thread: Help identifying a mandolin

Default Help identifying a mandolin

Hello,

New to the forum because I'm now a proud owner of a mandolin. Looking at trying my hand at a new instrument so I picked up a mandolin from a local seller. Any help identifying this would be much appreciated. I couldn't find a maker's mark anywhere.

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220810_145450247.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	263.6 KB 
ID:	202610   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220810_145443110.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	600.2 KB 
ID:	202609   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220810_130326413.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	704.5 KB 
ID:	202608  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220810_145455179_HDR.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	260.2 KB 
ID:	202611  

Default Re: Help identifying a mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by haven5080 View Post
    Hello,

New to the forum because I'm now a proud owner of a mandolin. Looking at trying my hand at a new instrument so I picked up a mandolin from a local seller. Any help identifying this would be much appreciated. I couldn't find a maker's mark anywhere.

Thanks
    It looks like it started life as a nondescript imported flat top and backed mandolin made in somewhat the shape of an F style mandolin. Somebody has gone to some trouble to dress it up a bit. Most likely you won't be able to identify a maker. The edges of the headstock appear to have been pin striped.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

I appreciate the help. Was it that common to bring these into the states unadorned and unbranded? I've only held a handful of mandolins in the past and this feels somewhat substantial. Hopefully I'll get years of enjoyment out of playing and learning on this instrument.

Quote Originally Posted by haven5080 View Post
    I appreciate the help. Was it that common to bring these into the states unadorned and unbranded? I've only held a handful of mandolins in the past and this feels somewhat substantial. Hopefully I'll get years of enjoyment out of playing and learning on this instrument.
    Extremely common. Before the dawn of imports it was extremely common for American builders like Harmony, Kay, and Regal to sell unbranded instrument for the trade. It's not unusual. Enjoy your mandolin.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Welcome to the Cafe! Make sure you check out the Learn/Listen button at the top of this page. Lots of good information and a bunch of tabs for some cool songs. I also encourage you to check out the Newbies Social Group under the same tab. Lots of good folks here at the Cafe who are really generous with their time and knowledge.