Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What Are Some Good Options in the $2-3k range?

Default Re: What Are Some Good Options in the $2-3k range?

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    2020 Northfield just landed in the classifieds....

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/192020#192020

NFI
    That's about as good as deal as you're gonna get in the $2-3K price range. Someone should jump on it!

2. The following members say thank you to Zmando85 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Zmando85 View Post
    That's about as good as deal as you're gonna get in the $2-3K price range. Someone should jump on it!
    Sure looks like a deal to me. I got my N5S, which is *great*, last winter, used off Reverb and that's what I paid with taxes and shipping. I don't need another, or I'd be on the phone to my fiddler friend who's up in CO playing some gigs right now and see if he could swing a side trip to Boulder...
    2018 Kentucky KM-950, 2017 Ellis A5 Deluxe

Quote Originally Posted by Zmando85 View Post
    I saw this one on Reverb earlier and am considering it. That crack in the soundboard does give me pause though...

At this point basically weighing the F-style Northfield with the crack... an A-Style Northfield in fairly mint condition for a similar price.... and also have my eye on this Ratliff that's been posted for awhile. Was watching some videos on his youtube channel which definitely help sell that one https://reverb.com/item/56073845-rat...y-boy-mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by danoverb View Post
    I saw this one on Reverb earlier and am considering it. That crack in the soundboard does give me pause though...

At this point basically weighing the F-style Northfield with the crack... an A-Style Northfield in fairly mint condition for a similar price.... and also have my eye on this Ratliff that's been posted for awhile. Was watching some videos on his youtube channel which definitely help sell that one https://reverb.com/item/56073845-rat...y-boy-mandolin
    I live locally and saw it on CL the day before it showed up here on MC. I would have driven straight to boulder for it if it weren't cracked because I know if I have pause about it now, other buyers will too if I ever needed to sell it.
    Arsenal:
    Turkey Creek #63 | Gibson F-5 MSC | Martin D-18 GE | Eastman E20D-tc

Quote Originally Posted by haggardphunk View Post
    ...I know if I have pause about it now, other buyers will too if I ever needed to sell it.
    exactly my thinking

7. The following members say thank you to danoverb for this post:

I inquired with the seller on this one because it piqued my interest as well. He provided me with a lot of pictures, and the crack in the soundboard was the main reason I decided to pass. He had receipts and tickets from the person who repaired it, so ideally it should be structurally sound, but visually its quite jarring. Can't beat the price though.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/192221#192221

Paul Scheider worked for Gibson before heading out on his own to build Summit mandolins. This would be one of his fancier models with the full binding.

You can't get there from here.

I came here to post this as well.

I have a sale set up to go already, or I'd have bought this on the spot.

This would be a good 'un as well:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/192247#192247
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

13. The following members say thank you to Jill McAuley for this post:

Agree with both the Girouard and Flatiron suggestions. Had a Flatiron like that and it was a great instrument. Comfortable neck and very punchy sound.

There are a number of really good deals out there right now for folks that are looking. Might be the best I've seen in a few years.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Quote Originally Posted by Jill McAuley View Post
    This would be a good 'un as well:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/192247#192247
    Winner, winner chicken dinner!
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

I think the best bang for the buck is the professional Eastman MD615. Solid woods , hand carved F style. Same build quality as a Gibson F5. For about $1700. . Go online and read about them. I just bought a Eastman DT30D guitar for $2200 and every bit as good as a Martin HD28. Think better.

I think a lot of people do not realize how good Eastman instruments are. All hand made. The guitars are extremely popular. If you go to you tube there are many comparisons to the HD 28 and the Eastman E20D . I just played the E10D at San Diego Summergrass and it was one of the best guitars I have ever played. I have a Weber fern but if I was just starting out I would get the Eastman MD 615. Also , mandolins are a crap shoot , at a huge guitar store I played a $10,000 Weber anniversary model and it sounded weak and thin. Then I played a plain $3400 Weber F type and it sounded twice as good.

Quote Originally Posted by ntriesch View Post
    I have a Weber fern but if I was just starting out I would get the Eastman MD 615.
    Why would you buy the MD615 over the MD515? I am asking because I am facing this decision right now. I am looking hard at the MD515CC/n.

You are right. The mD 515 is about the same. All handmade with solid woods and great attention to detail. I like both mandolins. Eastman is a big deal. Their guitars are now some of the best in the world. No kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kirk View Post
    Why would you buy the MD615 over the MD515? I am asking because I am facing this decision right now. I am looking hard at the MD515CC/n.
    The current MD6xx models come with a K&K pickup pre-installed and have block inlay and a pickguard. Otherwise I think you can consider them essentially the same as the MD5xx models, though, even there, individual instruments might vary widely even if the model# is the same.
    2018 Kentucky KM-950, 2017 Ellis A5 Deluxe

21. The following members say thank you to keith.rogers for this post:

This one just hit the marketplace. https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/192473#192473

Ane of course this hits right after I bought the one with the repaired crack top (to be fair im pretty stoked with this one's tone and setup)
    Arsenal:
    Turkey Creek #63 | Gibson F-5 MSC | Martin D-18 GE | Eastman E20D-tc

Very good deal on that NF5S!
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

24. The following members say thank you to Chuck Leyda for this post:

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

Northfield MA new is around $2500 new. They are excellent.

Collings MT used to be the go-to for the 2k market, but now they are $3500 new.
    Living’ in the Mitten

That was about my budget, too. I decided to order a two-point from Larry Muth:

https://muthmandolins.com/prices-orders.html

Quote Originally Posted by ntriesch View Post
    I think a lot of people do not realize how good Eastman instruments are. All hand made. The guitars are extremely popular. If you go to you tube there are many comparisons to the HD 28 and the Eastman E20D . I just played the E10D at San Diego Summergrass and it was one of the best guitars I have ever played. I have a Weber fern but if I was just starting out I would get the Eastman MD 615. Also , mandolins are a crap shoot , at a huge guitar store I played a $10,000 Weber anniversary model and it sounded weak and thin. Then I played a plain $3400 Weber F type and it sounded twice as good.
    I owned an E20D-TC for a year before I traded up for a Martin. The build quality was immaculate but the tone was not an HD28, good, but not a Martin voice. The wound strings were too muddy for flatpicking IMO. Also, Eastman has now switched over from a dovetail neck joint to Bourgeois' bolt on design and from nitro finish to the catalyzed finish Bourgeois uses- I would think these changes would influence to voicing further away from a Martin voice if that's what you're seeking at a lower price.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kirk View Post
    The 515 is an exceptional deal. A LOT of sound for that amount of money. The one I worked on and set up was a very loud mandolin. Perhaps lacking in the subtleties of a pricier mandolin but tons of volume and punch compared to anything else in that price range. Be prepared to upgrade the tuners (not expensive) because the stock ones are a bear to use. Also, the ones I've seen come with the old style narrow gauge (~0.052" wide) frets which take grooves pretty quickly. If you play it for years you'll likely need a refret.

29. The following members say thank you to Rob Roy for this post:

I have to totally disagree with you here. But in a good way. I own a 2002 Weber Absaroka F-hole. Signed by Bruce Weber. The 2 to 3 K price tag is about 1 K to high. To compare and oval hole versus and F-hole would be in the ear of the player . In my opinion a Weber Absaroka is an excellent choice . I've also owned a Flatiron F-5 Artist. Although ya can compare the Absaroka with the Flatiron. I find the Absaroka a very fine instrument.

Wondering if the OP got a mandolin. If so what?
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings