Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What Are Some Good Options in the $2-3k range?

Default Re: What Are Some Good Options in the $2-3k range?

I’ll throw another vote of confidence for Silverangel as well. I played an Econo model for 8 or 9 years before I bought the Kelley, and there are certainly times I miss the SA. It was my first “real” mandolin, and I didn’t outgrow it, I just wanted to try something new.
    Chuck

It looks like the Silverangel Ecno I recommended to the OP in post #2 has sold. Did the OP get it?
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Acoustic Music Works in Pittsburgh has two new Northfields for $2,795 each, although they are both A style. Mike

There are several solo builders that will make an A style for 3k, I'd check if there's one near you that you could visit and try out a mando. That's what I did and I feel like I got an instrument that could last me the rest of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    It looks like the Silverangel Ecno I recommended to the OP in post #2 has sold. Did the OP get it?
    I did not...currently I'm leaning towards this option https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/191577#191577

Quote Originally Posted by danoverb View Post
    I did not...currently I'm leaning towards this option https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/191577#191577
    There's nothing there - looks like a "hole" between the Ellis A5 Special (191574) and [The] Loar LM-700 (191583). If you didn't get it, someone else did!
    2018 Kentucky KM-950, 2017 Ellis A5 Deluxe

It was the Weber with the cedar top from TMS. Enjoy.
    Charley

Was gonna jump on that Ceder Weber... and lowered the price on a guitar I've been trying to sell. Lo and behold it sold this morning, I turned around to buy the Weber and of course it was gone. Serves me right for waiting.

This just landed in the classifieds...

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/191820#191820

NFI
    Charley

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    This just landed in the classifieds...

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/191820#191820

NFI
    Ohhhhh Lordy that is the winner! If I was going to get a sweet sounding mandolin that would be it right now. Don’t wait on that one.

This cropped up on Reverb today as well. Its below your budget, but I'd buy it right now if I didn't buy a Gallatin F yesterday (for $1000 more, mind you!)

https://reverb.com/item/59426626-web...18-amber-burst

I can't imagine that listing is gonna last long.

12. The following members say thank you to Falconerguy for this post:

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I am surprised that the term “best bang for the buck” didn’t automatically trigger the response of get an A-model. So I will say that. As you may or may not have heard an A-model can sounds just as good as an F. Unless you are completely in love with the look of the points and scrolls in your price range the As would make a lot more sense. Just stick to the f-holed ones if that tone is what you prefer.
    My thought, too. Unless the Bill Monroe look or bling in general matters to you, an A is the way to go.

The only of your three links that opened for me was the Weber. Were they all f-hole instruments? Bluegrass players like 'em, but other folks often prefer the fatter oval- or round-hole sound. Other variables you might care about include tenth- versus twelfth-fret neck joins, radiused versus flat finger boards, fretboard widths, and wood varieties for the backs and sides.

Welcome, Dano!
    Gibson A-Junior snakehead (Keep on pluckin'!)

I have a Weber Bitteroot A5 absolutely top mandolin, punches well above it's weight.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

Thanks again to everyone for their advice -- pulled the trigger on the nice Northfield A-style M+ with all black hardware that was listed here on the classifieds. I'll post a pic when it arrives!

Was definitely a toss up between that, the Weber on Reverb that someone linked to above, and also this cool Ratliff A Country Boy that was also on Reverb. But ultimately, the Northfield has this gorgeous flame and the black hardware just looked too cool. At the end of the day, seemed like a 'can't go wrong' situation for sure.

Now I just gotta learn how to play these things properly

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to danoverb For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

I'd love to hear a sound sample, too!

Congrats on the new mando!
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Congratulations. I am so freakin jealous.

Quote Originally Posted by danoverb View Post
    Thanks again to everyone for their advice -- pulled the trigger on the nice Northfield A-style M+ with all black hardware that was listed here on the classifieds. I'll post a pic when it arrives!

Was definitely a toss up between that, the Weber on Reverb that someone linked to above, and also this cool Ratliff A Country Boy that was also on Reverb. But ultimately, the Northfield has this gorgeous flame and the black hardware just looked too cool. At the end of the day, seemed like a 'can't go wrong' situation for sure.

Now I just gotta learn how to play these things properly

Spoke to soon... seller backed out and refunded last minute. the hunt continues.

…….omg.

Great helpful and considerably informative conversation here!
    Just want to add that a few years ago, I acquired a wonderful Fletcher Brock A-5 style mandolin which had been in Elderly’s showroom for some time
    Wow!- tone volume playability most artfully elegant and masterful construction and design- most notable is that I’ve really learned so very much about playing mostly by- “not being able to put it down”-

Good Luck with your search!

If I weren’t already acquainted with Fletcher’s exquisite craftsmanship and deep sense of tone and balance and design, I’d have otherwise much preferred to have played it quite a bit before making such a big buy, but Elderly has quite a trustworthy Word of Mouth reputation-

Hope you get some version of your dream mandolin 😎

I just read back up through the thread and realized that I was the one that sniped that cedar topped Weber from you! Oops!

I'll post some pictures of it here too when it shows up. I'm glad you found a beautiful mandolin in your budget to pick up, I'm excited to see what you can do with it.

EDIT: Aaah! I'm so sorry, sellers that back out drive me nuts. I'll keep hunting for you, its the least I can do I suppose.

I've found some good listings for Weber and Northfield mandolins on Reverb.

https://reverb.com/item/58320906-nor...-mandolin-2021

https://reverb.com/item/55792013-web...ustom-mandolin

https://reverb.com/item/59496565-weber-gallatin-natural

All of these sellers are accepting offers so you can probably talk them down from the list price. I know I was able to talk the guy with the Bitterroot A down to at least 2500 when I was hunting last week, so there's that. Also the guy with the Gallatin A which I linked earlier in the thread just did a $150 price drop today. I'm surprised its even lasted this long to be honest, its a steal of a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by jethromondawg View Post
    .... but Elderly has quite a trustworthy Word of Mouth reputation-

Hope you get some version of your dream mandolin ��
    Thanks very much. I'm about a 3.5 hour drive to Elderly and am considering going up to try some stuff out and compare. Just a matter of explaining to my wife that it's totally justifiable for me to leave her alone with the baby all day just so I can go play expensive mandolins

Quote Originally Posted by Falconerguy View Post
    I've found some good listings for Weber and Northfield mandolins on Reverb.

https://reverb.com/item/58320906-nor...-mandolin-2021

https://reverb.com/item/55792013-web...ustom-mandolin

https://reverb.com/item/59496565-weber-gallatin-natural

All of these sellers are accepting offers so you can probably talk them down from the list price. I know I was able to talk the guy with the Bitterroot A down to at least 2500 when I was hunting last week, so there's that. Also the guy with the Gallatin A which I linked earlier in the thread just did a $150 price drop today. I'm surprised its even lasted this long to be honest, its a steal of a deal.
    Hey no worries on the snipe! Hope you enjoy it! Good looking out on those Reverb links... I'm like 95% of the way to buying that under priced Gallatin on the assumption if it doesn't sing to me I can turn it around and recoup most of the outlay and move on to something else. Same philosophy that saw maybe like 40 fuzz and delay pedals come and go through my basement over the past 8 years or so.

Well, that oh so beautiful cedar topped Weber Special Edition showed up today...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220823_141429.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	484.2 KB 
ID:	202854

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220823_141432.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	403.3 KB 
ID:	202855

I was able to get a very swift return thanks to the fine folks at The Mandolin Store, who seemed even more distraught than I was.

Unfortunately there is no moral or lesson to learn from this, as the mandolin was in a great case, and packed well. Nor did the box have any visible impact damage that would have caused such a break. Its just such a shame.

Blog Entries

Oh jeez. That is a scary story. I feel sad for you and for TMS both.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

2020 Northfield just landed in the classifieds....

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/192020#192020

NFI
    Charley