Thread: National RM1

Default National RM1

Does anyone have experience with National's RM1? Anything you could tell me about them would be appreciated. In particular, I read somewhere that the one of the virtues, or one of the downsides, of the instrument, depending on what you are after is that it sounds very much like a regular mandolin -- as opposed to a resonator -- only louder. If you have an opinion on this issue or on anything else about the instrument, I would love to know it. Thank you.

Default Re: National RM1

In my experience the RM-1 sounds very much like an RM-1. Mine sounds nothing like any of my other mandolins and, to be honest, not what you might expect a resonator mandolin to sound like.

To some extent it can depend on what type of strings you put on it and I find that it sounds better played with other instruments than on its own. The other thing I’ve found surprising is that the different models actually sound - different. Mine has the antique coverplate but a friend has one of the stainless ones - I have to admit that I actually prefer the sound his makes.

This is very helpful. Thanks, Ray. Mike

I was impressed years ago when these first came out and I was surprised that I liked it since I owned a vintage National mandolin and a tenor guitar. I was lucky to get an RM-1 in a trade and love playing it. It is especially great in a large fiddle jam and probably the only type of mandolin that you can hear I over a pile of fiddles.

I have only two beefs: one the tailpiece makes it a real pain to change strings and they come with a relatively wide neck IIRC 1-1/4”. Some may prefer that width but not my favorite tho I can get used to it. Otherwise a very nicely designed instrument.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

It’s the most dynamic instrument I own. It can go from very soft to peeling the paint in a pick stroke. And, while it does sound very “mandolinney” for a reso, it’ll get nasty with a slide…

I really like mine. Is it my first choice when playing at home? Most times not. But I really like having the option when I want/need it…
    Chuck

Thanks, Jim and Chuck. This is exactly the kind of information that I was hoping to get.

I forgot to mention that mine is the Walnut with antiqued finish. Looks great!

I agree with Jim about the TP but actually like the wider nut. I think 1 and 3/16 is probably my true sweet spot, but after just a little playing on the RM-1 I adjust to the 1 and 1/4 width pretty easily.
    Chuck