Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Diminished 7th Chord Shapes

  1. #1
    Registered User mbruno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Seattle WA
    Posts
    651

    Default Diminished 7th Chord Shapes

    Hey all

    I just added the newest chord shape series covering Diminished Chords. I'll be taking a break from the chord shapes series for a bit, but eventually I'll come back to it

    You can see the full post here - https://mattcbruno.com/2022/08/mando...iminished-7th/

    Happy picking
    Information on lessons, gigs, and misc musical stuff: www.mattcbruno.com
    Weekly free Mandolin Lessons: www.mattcbruno.com/weekly-posts/
    My gear and recommendations: www.mattcbruno.com/gear-recommendations/
    Cooking fun: www.mattcbruno.com/quarantine-cookbook/


    Mando's in use
    Primary: Newson 2018
    Secondary: Gibson F9 2014
    Primary Electric: Jonathan Mann OSEMdc 5

  2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mbruno For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Registered User mandolin breeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    "My Home Is On My Back"
    Posts
    310

    Default Re: Diminished 7th Chord Shapes

    Thanks a lot Matt, I've really been enjoying and learning from your posts - expanding my mando world . . . Well done.

  4. The following members say thank you to mandolin breeze for this post:

    mbruno 

  5. #3
    Registered User mbruno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Seattle WA
    Posts
    651

    Default Re: Diminished 7th Chord Shapes

    Quote Originally Posted by mandolin breeze View Post
    Thanks a lot Matt, I've really been enjoying and learning from your posts - expanding my mando world . . . Well done.
    Glad to hear If you have any suggestions for topics, LMK
    Information on lessons, gigs, and misc musical stuff: www.mattcbruno.com
    Weekly free Mandolin Lessons: www.mattcbruno.com/weekly-posts/
    My gear and recommendations: www.mattcbruno.com/gear-recommendations/
    Cooking fun: www.mattcbruno.com/quarantine-cookbook/


    Mando's in use
    Primary: Newson 2018
    Secondary: Gibson F9 2014
    Primary Electric: Jonathan Mann OSEMdc 5

  6. #4

    Default Re: Diminished 7th Chord Shapes

    I can't believe I'm just seeing this series. Spent years playing blues and jazz on guitar and stick to bluegrass on Mandolin.

    Always felt it was so easy to build chords on guitar, but with mandolin the substitutions were never obvious to me, so the shapes I built were technically correct but not what everyone else was playing. This is great.
    Blevins E5
    Weber Yellowstone Custom Shop Distressed

  7. The following members say thank you to NotACreativeName for this post:

    mbruno 

  8. #5
    Registered User mbruno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Seattle WA
    Posts
    651

    Default Re: Diminished 7th Chord Shapes

    Quote Originally Posted by NotACreativeName View Post
    I can't believe I'm just seeing this series. Spent years playing blues and jazz on guitar and stick to bluegrass on Mandolin.

    Always felt it was so easy to build chords on guitar, but with mandolin the substitutions were never obvious to me, so the shapes I built were technically correct but not what everyone else was playing. This is great.
    Jazz / Swing on the mandolin is so much fun - in part because of how the chords can move! What were you playing on guitar that you couldn't figure out on mandolin Here's a cheat sheet for the series in case you missed any https://mattcbruno.com/mandolin-chord-shapes/ - basically just links to the individual posts.

    I think the next post in that series will likely be something to do with enharmonic chords - or chords that can be called multiple things (like x253 is both an Emin7 or a G6 or a rootless C9 etc). Do you think that'd be useful for ya?
    Information on lessons, gigs, and misc musical stuff: www.mattcbruno.com
    Weekly free Mandolin Lessons: www.mattcbruno.com/weekly-posts/
    My gear and recommendations: www.mattcbruno.com/gear-recommendations/
    Cooking fun: www.mattcbruno.com/quarantine-cookbook/


    Mando's in use
    Primary: Newson 2018
    Secondary: Gibson F9 2014
    Primary Electric: Jonathan Mann OSEMdc 5

  9. #6

    Default Re: Diminished 7th Chord Shapes

    Quote Originally Posted by mbruno View Post
    Jazz / Swing on the mandolin is so much fun - in part because of how the chords can move! What were you playing on guitar that you couldn't figure out on mandolin Here's a cheat sheet for the series in case you missed any https://mattcbruno.com/mandolin-chord-shapes/ - basically just links to the individual posts.

    I think the next post in that series will likely be something to do with enharmonic chords - or chords that can be called multiple things (like x253 is both an Emin7 or a G6 or a rootless C9 etc). Do you think that'd be useful for ya?

    1000% useful, that's awesome.
    Blevins E5
    Weber Yellowstone Custom Shop Distressed

  10. The following members say thank you to NotACreativeName for this post:

    mbruno 

  11. #7

    Default Re: Diminished 7th Chord Shapes

    I want to add my thanks for this series: so useful! Iím a guitar and ukulele player, brand new to the mandolin, and I have every post in this series bookmarked, and look at one or more of them every day while practicing. Thank you!

  12. The following members say thank you to Dave Johnson for this post:

    mbruno 

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •