Thread: Global Musical Instruments NYC Bowlback

Default Global Musical Instruments NYC Bowlback

There was a thread from 2006 but rather than revive it as it had little info, I have started this one.

This mandolin labelled as Globe Musical Instruments of New York was for sale in the UK. I bid on it but as it is a bowl back, I was a bit half-hearted and did not win but it looked like a nice instrument. Waverly tuners and tailpiece and a pickguard of a type not seen usually on a bowl back. A John Grey of London bridge as well. The seller did not give a shot that showed all of the headstock but in the Washburn book there is a photo of a headstock from 1916 that may be the same. I don't know who made it and as I did not win, I will not get a closer look. It is not an expensive instrument but it was quite nice and well made and I suppose I was thinking if it was a wreck- and I don't think it was, there's a leather case, cloud tailpiece and nice tuners as compensation! I was thinking it was from the teens or 1920.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l500 (1).jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	32.6 KB 
ID:	202738

Name:	s-l500.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	202739

Name:	s-l1600 (1).jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	236.2 KB 
ID:	202740

Name:	s-l1600 (2).jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	297.5 KB 
ID:	202741

Name:	s-l1600 (3).jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	198.2 KB 
ID:	202742

Name:	s-l1600 (4).jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	213.1 KB 
ID:	202743

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NickR For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Global Musical Instruments NYC Bowlback

Globe was a brand of the Charles Meisel Company in New York City. I believe they were distributors and importers. I found a listing and historical time line of the company online that mentioned a 1920 ad that described the company as "wholesale dealers,importers, manufacturers, & repairers of stringed instruments; established in 1878."

The three Globe NY mandolins I have in my files ll look to be made by different companies and not resemble each other or the one posted above.

Here is a 2006 thread on the subject. Not much more info though.

I found one lower end model on a site that looks like it was made for them by Luigi Ricca. I imagine that they bought from many makers. One possibility of a maker might be Favilla Brothers which was located in New York and often copied Martin designs such as a sidemounted scratchplate.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

4. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Jim, thanks for that. I chose not to reactivate that 2006 thread and start again but these is some info there. I have not seen a Favilla bowlback but I agree that the pickguard follows the Martin style a little.

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

I've owned a couple Favilla bowlbacks which are very very nice mandolins. I've seen their sort-of copies of Martin flatbacks, but never of a Martin bowlback.

But I've never owned a Globe mandolin.

That would strike me as odd, as I actually think Favilla bowlbacks sound better than Martins....

Besides some super early highly decorated bowls, I've never really seen a fully asymetrical Favilla bowl as they seemed to heel to the classic Vinaccia design diagram.

Could they have tried to knock one out on order? Sure.
    There was a lot of design variation / experimentation in their instruments.

I'd go easy on this, Nick

It's a pretty long stretch to go from Favilla copying Martin flatbacks to projecting that a bowlback with a Martin-like scratchplate was made by Favilla.

All that said....it is a pretty nice looking mandolin that appears in pretty good shape.

Another testimony for keeping your instrument in its case, even if it is a Clown Shoe.

Any idea of what it sold for?

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

7. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post: