Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: DO I need a better mandolin?

Blog Entries

Default Re: DO I need a better mandolin?

Anyone in this situation like the original poster is doing the right thing by asking experienced folks. And just having this question, do I need a better instrument, indicates that there is an awareness some inadequacy.

Too often however, the advice goes straight to money matters. As a practical matter learning about how a mandolin is made more playable is as valuable as in knowing how much money it will take to get the 'next' instrument. And in the long run, set up and play-ability are issues in all levels of pricing. Just on a smaller degree. And yes, you can hear and feel the difference by playing other mandolins.

The other aspect, aside from the constant 'drum-beat' of money and price levels, is in your own ability to play the instrument. That can cost nothing by the way. So consider what to do about that. Take lessons? Watch videos. Ask a friend? (I borrowed a nice Gibson when I started.) Maybe buy a book? Yes!

Learning here is a step in the right direction. However, you have to do the walking. (You don't want to suck, when you finally, can audition that killer mandolin.) So exercise your fingers as well as the brain. O.K.
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

2. The following members say thank you to DougC for this post:

Kenny 

Blog Entries

It is easier to get a great mandolin than to get great at the mandolin.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

I don't generally think it's a good idea to buy an instrument without trying it.

I would stick with what you have for now, until maybe one day you get a chance to try some others somewhere and then you will see the difference, both from what you have now and that there is actually a big range out there, some of which you will probably like more than others. Then you should decide what to do.
    David A. Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by Dagger Gordon View Post
    I don't generally think it's a good idea to buy an instrument without trying it.

I would stick with what you have for now, until maybe one day you get a chance to try some others somewhere and then you will see the difference, both from what you have now and that there is actually a big range out there, some of which you will probably like more than others. Then you should decide what to do.
    I have two that I bought without trying. If I were inclined to let any go, it would be those two.
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

Resident Hack

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BetterGear.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	84.6 KB 
ID:	202959
    What I play
    2021 Skip Kelley Two-Point
    Eastwood 'Ricky'
    Morgan Monroe RT-1E
    Epiphone Genesis guitars
    Various Basses

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mitch Stein For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dagger Gordon View Post
    I don't generally think it's a good idea to buy an instrument without trying it...
    Try it if you like, I generally wont buy an instrument unless i love it.

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sheets View Post
    try to get that stage around $2k-$3k where you can find potential lifetime instruments
    Man, I was hoping my next mandolin would be my last mandolin, and I was thinking more in the $1200 neighborhood.

Don't compare yourself to other people, playing ability OR wallet size....
    Eastman MD-514 (F body, Sitka & maple, oval hole)
    Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

And still saving my nickels & dimes & bottle caps & breakfast cereal box tops for my lifetime mandolin.

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

If you haven’t played any others and have nothing to compare to, enjoy the ignorance. When you live five miles from Elderly Instruments like I do, the temptation is always there.

An honest answer: there are lots of mandolins that would sound better than your Dragonfly. How much are you willing to spend?
    Living’ in the Mitten

Quote Originally Posted by Dan in NH View Post
    Man, I was hoping my next mandolin would be my last mandolin, and I was thinking more in the $1200 neighborhood.....
    I have a great $1200 mandolin. Didn't stop me from getting others
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Quote Originally Posted by Dan in NH View Post
    Man, I was hoping my next mandolin would be my last mandolin, and I was thinking more in the $1200 neighborhood.

Don't compare yourself to other people, playing ability OR wallet size....
    There are some really good instruments in that price range that could be a "last" instrument; Mid-Missouri, Kentucky, Eastman all make really nice models around that price range. You might even be able to find a nice, no-frills, used A style or flat-top from solo American builders for that.

If you're touring professionally, they might not quite cut it but they'd be more than enough for playing by yourself or in jams.

Quote Originally Posted by milli857 View Post
    There are some really good instruments in that price range that could be a "last" instrument; Mid-Missouri, Kentucky, Eastman all make really nice models around that price range. You might even be able to find a nice, no-frills, used A style or flat-top from solo American builders for that.

If you're touring professionally, they might not quite cut it but they'd be more than enough for playing by yourself or in jams.
    This is that "second mandolin" level that many advocate to skip, and go for the next level ~$1500 and up.

15. The following members say thank you to catmandu2 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    It is easier to get a great mandolin than to get great at the mandolin.
    Yes, and I prove that adage every day.
    " Give me some words I can dance to and a melody that rhymes" - Steve Goodman

17. The following members say thank you to tjmangum for this post:

What the heck is a last mandolin? I figure when they bury me I will have had my last mandolin, not before