Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting crack on shopgoodwill?

Default Interesting crack on shopgoodwill?

The Gibson mandolin on the shopgoodwill sight has what I think is an interesting crack.
    I wasn’t sure whether to post on the EBay, Craigslist thread or here. But since it will surely go for more than I can swing and I’m mostly intrigued by what repairs it would need and cost I thought I’d post here. What would it take to get this mandolin in playing condition?Again, just curious, I’m not bidding
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17DBA95C-CF49-408D-B921-3DC3C13AB76D.png 
Views:	328 
Size:	3.84 MB 
ID:	202800  

Default Re: Interesting crack on shopgoodwill?

From the photo, it looks like the crack traveled all the way up the side. I'm not sure how far away from the neck block that is but it must have taken a good hit to crack like that?
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

There’s more photos at the shop goodwill website
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	62B0F184-DF97-475A-8BD5-C3539466AECC.png 
Views:	188 
Size:	2.17 MB 
ID:	202801  

Also almost posted about this unusual type of break, and also guess that it’s impact. Also pretty sure the thing will go somewhat high regardless of limited information, auction environment, and no return. Hope no innocent speculator gets too badly stung.
    Also a guess that, even unrepaired, it might be playable and structurally stable.

Looks like at least a late 1940s to early 1950s A-40? Square script with dot touching the G and no back binding. Here's the SGW post link for those who like to play at home:
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

I have the feeling that the case is going to drive the bidding, not the mandolin.

So, I know nothing about repair, would this require taking the back or the front off and cleating the side and the back crack?

Teacher, repair person

Can't tell without the instrument in-hand.
    Some of it depends on whether or not the crack goes through the neck block, and whether the cracks will close.
    Cross grain fractures must be reinforced.
    That neck joint might also be loose.

This was Gibson's lowest end model. A low-end Eastman is a better mandolin.

Another job for a do-it-yourselfer who can afford to take a gamble. If it doesn't go any higher.
    Last edited by rcc56; Aug-21-2022 at 8:15pm.

10. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by rcc56 View Post
    As a vintage guy, I find this an amazing statement -- that a vintage, made in the USA mandolin is inferior to a recent low-end Eastman. I realize from following this forum the Gibson A-40 is not popular here for some reason. Is it not solid wood? Or, are you speaking of this particular mandolin in need of repair?

Teacher, repair person

Yes, A-40's were made of solid wood.
    The use of solid wood does not guarantee a good instrument.
    Neither does a brand name. Gibson has made some very good instruments, and they have also made some that are very poor.
    Have you ever played an A-40? If you find one that is not weak, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

13. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post:

Quick thread search of A40 indicates only the top was solid; 3 ply back and sides. ( A few posters had ones they liked.)
    That crack is more interesting if it really is plywood, indicating an extreme event.
    Or, it isn’t all the way through and doesn’t need structural repair.

I had an A-40 from the early 40's that was a very nice mandolin, not great, but very nice. I think it was solid wood, but mahogany sides and back. I think I would have preferred it if it were maple sides and back, but I played that in a band for a long time. Only sold it as I started playing more old time and wanted an oval. Now I don't play my oval, and am back to ff holes. Life is a circle after all.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I think I've come across only one A40 in real life. I certainly wouldn't have paid what was being asked for it.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Can't tell without the instrument in-hand.
    Some of it depends on whether or not the crack goes through the neck block, and whether the cracks will close.
    Cross grain fractures must be reinforced.
    That neck joint might also be loose.

Haha, you're probably correct if we're being totally honest, but I can see the hornets stirring....

Not to dwell, just still shaking my head...I guess the name, the history, the wood, etc., all add to the vibe, which would make me choose a 60-year old Gibson over a modern Pac-Rim mandolin, even a lackluster sounding one -- every time.

I have owned many Gibsons, including a 1964 Gibson LG-1 guitar, which I WOULD describe as lackluster sounding -- at least when compared to a J-45 or a D-28. But, and I think it is an important but, it CERTAINLY was a fun little couch guitar to strum and it was pretty to look at and enjoy. Granted, I've got a $150 Recording King (import, not an old one) that probably sounds better, but it is not all about sound, IMHO. And, the Recording King has absolutely no vibe whereas the Gibson looks cool just hanging on the wall -- plenty of vibe. I did play a new Eastman 335 style electric guitar with Lollar pickups -- great sound and feel, but again, no magic, no vibe, IMHO.

I guess that makes me a brand snob to a certain degree, but there is truth to a pedigree -- even on a lower-line model, IMHO. I mean genuine Levi's are better than no-name Dollar General jeans, Nikes are better than Walmart no-name tennis shoes, and the list goes on and on. It could be argued that some of these grand ol' American brands farm out some of their production offshore.....so?

Not pac-rim bashing...most of us have a refrigerator or cell phone that was not made in the USA. (I love my fridge, the jury is still out on the cell phone, but that is another story...) Just a thought, I think given the choice between an A-40 and a entry-level Eastman, I think MOST people would choose the Gibson, if they were both in the same condition and priced the same.

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tavy View Post
    Haha, you're probably correct if we're being totally honest, but I can see the hornets stirring....

I haven't played an A-40 but have played a number of "low end" Eastmans.

That's a pretty low bar to set.

They did look like a mandolin someone might like to be seen playing.

"Cotton In Your Ears" tone.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

20. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

Teacher, repair person

Quote Originally Posted by Richard500 View Post
    Quick thread search of A40 indicates only the top was solid; 3 ply back and sides. ( A few posters had ones they liked.)
    They may have made them both ways. The best I can tell from the pictures is that the Goodwill instrument appears to have a solid back.

A-40's might have a sound that's competitive with Eastman 305's.
    Most of them aren't going to stand up to an Eastman 505, unless perhaps you find an exception, like pops did.

I had to laugh when Jeff mentioned Levi's, since Gibson's current CEO is a former Levi's exec.

Let's see. A-40's are going for at least $800 if they're in reasonably decent condition. I see them a lot higher than that.
    A new Eastman 305 can be had for $600 [I see that prices have gone up]. So used, maybe $400 - $450??
    A new Eastman 505 costs $850 with hard case. Maybe $550 - $600 used.

For me, I'd much rather put $850 into a new Eastman 505 [or even better, $600 for a used one] than $800 - $1200 into an A-40. Liking a name is fine, and I like names like Gibson and Martin, but I don't play the name. Sound and playability are much more important to me.
    Last edited by rcc56; Aug-22-2022 at 2:43pm.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned the tuners yet. I suspect they might not be original but without a clear shot of the back of the headstock I can't be certain. Just another thing to take into account.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Teacher, repair person

It's up to $422 with 4 days left.
    At this rate, it might go for more than I would expect it to bring cleaned up and repaired.
    I've seen that happen before on Goodwill. Sometimes I wonder what the bidders are thinking.

Creeping up to $469 at this moment. I bet it goes for slightly under $1000.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I agree with Mike the tuners have been changed. The neck heel has lifted up, so it probably needs a neck reset. It has a goofy vintage contact pickup which probably can be removed without damage. It does have an older Gibson F style case which may hold some value if separated and sold to someone needing one.

I can't get excited about paying big money for cracked stuff...but, hey, it's for "charity." right....

Teacher, repair person

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I bet it goes for slightly under $1000.
    Since it's on Goodwill, I wouldn't be surprised if it does.
    But . . . they won't get it from me . . .

Q: Is anyone starting to suspect the presence of shills at SGW??

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Not me, but I tend to be a trusting sort.

I’ve bought a few button and piano accordions off Goodwill and tend to keep an eye out there.

Name brands tend to be bid up some, as expected.

Some folks might take a more jaded view of things, but nothing that would suggest shill bidding to me….at least for accordions.

I look out for mandolins there, too, but haven’t bought one from Goodwill yet.

For a vintage Gibson mandolin to bid up to around $500 on a site like Goodwill doesn’t raise any suspicion from me, even if the model doesn’t meet the approval of mandolin intelligentsia.

Projecting where a sales price might rise to and then projecting unethical behavior based on that seems an unnecessary exercise in cynicism.

Gentler spirits might wait and see how things turn out.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Teacher, repair person

To quote Winston Churchill, I can accept rebuffs as well as the next man.

I’ve now bought more than a dozen mandolins there, and my very first buy got me angry, (shipping delay) and suspicious enough to research the history and management of what is supposed to be a charity. But shilling isn’t obvious, partly because each location is really an independent business with differing characteristics, and shilling requires effort. The listings are so sloppy in this area that they only radiate honest ignorance. Serious buyers, using sniping software appear on the better items, though, and the bid history is displayed. Most of the time, bids ramp up slowly over a week, and sometimes stall completely.
    Some locations gouge or at least miscalculate shipping, which can make lower price items not worth buying, given poor descriptions and no returns. Can there be nasty practices involved in selling donated, undocumented stuff, especially precious metals and jewelry?….of course, but tax free entities are somewhat outside the law anyway.
    I’m always surprised, though, by effective, careful packing of these fragile items, which is not an added cost and so far resulted in no damage.