Thread: Pandemic based inflation

Default Pandemic based inflation

So, inflation, largely spurred on by the pandemic, is starting to come down in many sectors of the economy. Cars are coming down in price, houses, even a carton of eggs, and I've just been wondering if mandolins will ever come back down to pre-pandemic prices or if the prices we are seeing now is just what they will cost?

I realize this is speculation, and few on the forum will have concrete answers to this question, but it's something I've been wondering.

Default Re: Pandemic based inflation

Based on my limited knowledge of economics I suspect as long a people are willing to pay the higher prices, they may remain as such. When demand goes down, prices will follow - at least that is what the books say!

3. The following members say thank you to Steve Mead for this post:

I suppose there is a chance that mass market instruments, particularly those made in China may come down in price a little as Covid restrictions ease up and more people are back to work. I wouldn't bet on it though. As people get used to current prices and if instruments are still selling, there isn't much incentive to lower the price.

I doubt that high-end instruments by individual luthiers will come down in price. Gas prices and cost of food and other goods may be easing a little bit, but it's still noticeably higher than pre-pandemic times. The cost of housing (rental or mortgage) is still very high due to low availability, and that isn't going to change any time soon. Luthiers have to put food on the table and pay the rent like everyone else.

5. The following members say thank you to foldedpath for this post:

Teacher, repair person

I rarely see the cost of anything go down.

An exception was the 2 year break in gas prices. But it went back up again.
    Signed F-5's went down and haven't gone back up. Yet. That's another exception.

I've never seen meat, bread, and vegetables go down, at least not much.
    If the better grade imported instruments go down, I'll be quite surprised.
    Hand built instruments won't go down. As foldedpath just said, the builders have to buy groceries and gas. And supplies.

You can still buy a Rogue RM-100A mandolin for $59.99. Choose either sunburst or black finish.

I doubt new mandolins will go down much, but I do suspect used ones will. The pandemic brought about a lot more people with time on their hands and a reduction in number of new instruments being made - a double whammy for prices.

Now that people have gone back to their pre-pandemic way of life for the most part, the demand issue is lessened, and I think we'll start to see used prices drop.

9. The following members say thank you to milli857 for this post:

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

Given that many low price mandolins are manufactured in China, I’d say the current supply chain issues plus economic issues in China would mean that low price mandolins aren’t going to be that low probably for a long time

Quote Originally Posted by Hudmister View Post
    You can still buy a Rogue RM-100A mandolin for $59.99. Choose either sunburst or black finish.
    A mandolin shaped object = Rover.

Quote Originally Posted by phydaux View Post
    Given that many low price mandolins are manufactured in China, I’d say the current supply chain issues plus economic issues in China would mean that low price mandolins aren’t going to be that low probably for a long time
    We are in a paradigm shift. Changes are churning and those that like to monetize advantages are making hay. That and the uncertainty in China don't bode well for cheap imports. Although companies are moving more to Vietnam and other Pacific Rim countries that provide more stability. We will know more when we know it.

Quote Originally Posted by rcc56 View Post
    I rarely see the cost of anything go down.
    Just to be clear. Cost and Price in economics mean very different things.

14. The following members say thank you to Simon DS for this post:

Yes but they are inter-dependent on one another in many ways.

That said, don’t expect to see hoards of bargains or loads of choice anytime soon in the way of mandolins available for sale, used or new.

Teacher, repair person

Quote Originally Posted by Simon DS View Post
    Just to be clear. Cost and Price in economics mean very different things.
    OK. At any rate, I think that anyone who is hoping for a 20% decrease in either the cost or the price of new mandolins is going to be disappointed.
    I don't foresee a significant drop in the price of used instruments either, unless there's a pretty bad crash.

Signed Gibson 1922-24 F5s seem to be at a long-time low...buy now!
    too many strings

18. The following members say thank you to musicofanatic for this post:

I haven't purchased a mandolin lately, but the dog food my dog likes was $1.50 a can 2 years ago and is now $3.50 a can for the same stuff.

I have stopped sending guitars internationally due to fewer options being offered other than the more expensive services. 2 years ago I could send a guitar with case to Europe for $125-175, now the quote is $600-750 for the same guitar. A deal breaker for most eBay sales. Also, less eBay sales due to limiting the market to USA only customers. Sigh.

So, call it what you will....pandemic restrictions, less supply due to truck driver shortages, whatever -- it stinks! (substitute nastier word)

I will say at the beginning of the pandemic my eBay sales increased a lot due to people having more time on their hands and stimulus money. (remember that?!!!) Then things went back to stinking again. (substitute nastier word)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post

So, call it what you will....pandemic restrictions, less supply due to truck driver shortages, whatever -- it stinks! (substitute nastier word)
    I agree, Jeff, it all does stink. Here's what I don't get, though. My farm is now getting calls from trucking (freight hauling) companies at least 4 or 5 times a week, seeking new business. We keep hearing about the shortage of truckers, so why are they beating the bushes for new accounts? It's all a mess. I'd rather just sit back and pick some tunes!
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

Teacher, repair person

Quote Originally Posted by musicofanatic View Post
    Signed Gibson 1922-24 F5s seem to be at a long-time low...
    Yes. But they are starting to sell again-- I know of several that have sold in the last 6 or 8 months, and there is one that's on hold now. And that one is listed at a higher price than some of the others that have been sitting around for a long time.

I don't know about the new market but the used market is definitely moving back towards 20-40% less than new. There's still stuff out there that priced like new or higher but it's generally not moving. Probably the days of the used $4800 MT2 have come and gone (not including Varnish finish).
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

Quote Originally Posted by Em Tee View Post
    So, inflation, largely spurred on by the pandemic, is starting to come down in many sectors of the economy. Cars are coming down in price, houses, even a carton of eggs, and I've just been wondering if mandolins will ever come back down to pre-pandemic prices or if the prices we are seeing now is just what they will cost?

I realize this is speculation, and few on the forum will have concrete answers to this question, but it's something I've been wondering.
    <Removed by Moderator, posting guidelines violation>
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; Aug-26-2022 at 2:56pm.

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

<Removed by Moderator. Posting guidelines violation>
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; Aug-26-2022 at 2:57pm.

Right, throw out a salacious insult and then tell people to lay off politics.
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

Enough, it's a big old Internet, take it someplace else.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

27. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

Bob ClarkCarlMdwcKennySimon DS 

Blog Entries

Opening this back up.

If anyone has doubts about us enforcing clear, written guidelines in places for close to 20 years, that is not a wise idea. Trust that we will. The two memberships that made egregious comments that are inappropriate, clearly and out of bounds and that openly violate Forum Posting Guidelines are not longer with us. We will do the same for anyone that wishes to test us on this.

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

<violates Forum posting guidelines.>
    Last edited by Mandolin Cafe; Aug-27-2022 at 5:30am.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Leyda View Post
    I don't know about the new market but the used market is definitely moving back towards 20-40% less than new. There's still stuff out there that priced like new or higher but it's generally not moving. Probably the days of the used $4800 MT2 have come and gone (not including Varnish finish).
    Agreed. Prices seem to be drifting downward, at least for the instruments I normally glance at. Or at least no longer increasing. But this is just looking at Reverb and the classifieds here. So not anywhere near a comprehensive search.

And as others have pointed out, really good deals appear to move quickly.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Who knew this would be such a contentious thread? To those who replied in earnest, thanks for entertaining some harmless speculation. Also, thanks to the mods for keeping the peace.