Thread: Pricing / value of instruments

Default Pricing / value of instruments

Hi ya'll - first post in a long long time, glad to see so many of the old gang still here and if this isn't an improper request or an incorrect posting can someone please help with advice?
    I have a Stefan Sobell octave mandola that I might sell - it's not being used and is being wasted in my collection; trouble is: I have absolutely no idea of the value. How do I even begin to find out? I don't want to breach guidelines by 'advertising' it here so I'll keep the description to a minimum: mint, with case.
    I'll be grateful for any pointers as to value.
    Colin
    "Danger! Do Not Touch!" must be one of the scariest things to read in Braille....

Default Re: Pricing / value of instruments

By simply searching "Sobell octave" I found numerous ads with prices. You might try that, and since you know what you have, look for similar instruments for sale.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Elderly Instruments has one on consignment in the classifieds with an asking price of $7500 USD:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/191335#191335
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Still a mandolin fighter Mandophyte's Avatar

Colin,
    Somebody recently asked the same question.
    The best advice given was to contact Stefan directly, he offers a "For sale" page on his site: https://www.sobellguitars.com/
    John

Social Groups: FFcP, A Song-a-Week
    ABC. Notation for the tabophobic: ABC intro, ABCexplorer, Making Music with ABC Plus by Guido Gonzato.
    FFcP: Just do it! (Any genre, (Honest!) just ignore the jazz references.)
    Eastman 604, 2007 | Thomas Buchanan Octave Mandolin, 2010

5. The following members say thank you to Mandophyte for this post:

The European market is quite different than the US market for Stefan's instruments, but as John said in his post, your best bet is to contact Stefan.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    The European market is quite different than the US market for Stefan's instruments, but as John said in his post, your best bet is to contact Stefan.
    Thanks all, I'll try that. It hasn't been played in years; I no longer play very much at all so it really should go to a good home. It's actually quite funny in that my last post here - in 2014!! - was just after my last concert and on exactly the same topic... so I haven't really played it in eight years, just cleaned and polished it. Sad!
    However thanks for the replies and the pointers, it's appreciated.
    "Danger! Do Not Touch!" must be one of the scariest things to read in Braille....

I’m sure there’ll be a lot of interest. The availability of quality OMs on this side of the Atlantic is somewhat limited.

Quote Originally Posted by sunburst View Post
    By simply searching "Sobell octave" I found numerous ads with prices. You might try that, and since you know what you have, look for similar instruments for sale.
    I agree, but you should also check to get a sense of how long each instrument has been listed at that price. On Reverb, ads sometimes indicate how long the instrument has been for sale. For most of the major stores in the US, you can always sort listings "from new to old."

So, yes, that Giacomel J5 at Carter's is listed at $12.5K, but only one mandolin in their inventory has been in the store longer, so is it really worth $12.5K? BTW, in Carter's current inventory of 58 mandolin family instruments, there are four Loar's. In seniority, three of those are in the Top 10, and the fourth is in the Top 20. So, are they sitting there just because there are four people who are steadily saving up to by one of them, or because they are overpriced? Of course, the price is right as long as one person is ready to pay it.
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus CA View Post
    I agree, but you should also check to get a sense of how long each instrument has been listed at that price. On Reverb, ads sometimes indicate how long the instrument has been for sale. For most of the major stores in the US, you can always sort listings "from new to old."

So, yes, that Giacomel J5 at Carter's is listed at $12.5K, but only one mandolin in their inventory has been in the store longer, so is it really worth $12.5K? BTW, in Carter's current inventory of 58 mandolin family instruments, there are four Loar's. In seniority, three of those are in the Top 10, and the fourth is in the Top 20. So, are they sitting there just because there are four people who are steadily saving up to by one of them, or because they are overpriced? Of course, the price is right as long as one person is ready to pay it.
    I used to know a guy that said, “ if it’s still for sale, they are asking too much”.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skip Kelley For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Kelley View Post
    I used to know a guy that said, “ if it’s still for sale, they are asking too much”.
    A real estate appraiser once told me "It's not worth what it DOESN'T sell for." I think that's true for personal property too.
    " Give me some words I can dance to and a melody that rhymes" - Steve Goodman

13. The following members say thank you to tjmangum for this post: