Thread: H5 mandola

Default H5 mandola

I recently bought the Siminoff H5 mandola plans. I hope to get started soon and was wondering if anyone has experience building from those plans. I’m wondering if the graduations are a little on the heavy side. I know each piece of wood is different and one set of numbers doesn’t work for every top or back. I guess what I’m asking is are those number a good starting point?

2. The following members say thank you to Shawn4390 for this post:

Default Re: H5 mandola

I'll be interested to learn the consensus.

My favorite mandola formula is to use a stiffer piece of red spruce and then carve it to slightly over Loar mandolin specs with modest bracing- maybe 4.7mm in the top center down to 3.0 in the recurve.

You are essentially dropping down a fifth and increasing the volume by approx. 10% so the difference is not huge. BUT- I want a very lively, inspirational, responsive mandola, not a stiffer big mandolin shaped object with overly thick plates. Mandolas do tend to like larger air cavities. If you go too small, you'll miss the mark.

Also- are you going for an F hole style mandola or an oval hole? I prefer tone bars for the F style but almost always a light X brace pattern for an oval.
    www.condino.com

Crafted by hand in a workshop powered by the sun.

Quote Originally Posted by j. condino View Post
    My favorite mandola formula is to use a stiffer piece of red spruce and then carve it to slightly over Loar mandolin specs with modest bracing- maybe 4.7mm in the top center down to 3.0 in the recurve.

You are essentially dropping down a fifth and increasing the volume by approx. 10% so the difference is not huge. BUT- I want a very lively, inspirational, responsive mandola, not a stiffer big mandolin shaped object with overly thick plates. Mandolas do tend to like larger air cavities. If you go too small, you'll miss the mark.

Also- are you going for an F hole style mandola or an oval hole? I prefer tone bars for the F style but almost always a light X brace pattern for an oval.
    I’m using f holes and tone bars. I appreciate your response and will definitely take your advise on the stiffer spruce top. I believe I have just the right set for it. This is my first mandola and I’m usually a bit suspicious of the graduations on siminoff plans. I don’t want this mandola sounding like a wash tub. Thanks again for your advice.