Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Illustrated Mandolin Chord Bible

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Default Illustrated Mandolin Chord Bible

As some of our members here know already, I began working on an illustrated book of mandolin chords several years ago. Lifestyle changes and projected publishing costs put a damper on the project, and I've only recently gotten back to it. Most recently, I've begun to publish some of the material online at my new website, theamateurmandolinist.com

Plan and Purpose of the Chord Bible

There are plenty of very good resources for chords on the internet; a good question is, why another mandolin chord resource?

My purpose has been to combine chord chart, photographs, standard notation, chord-building intervals and note names all together into a colorful and easily read chart for each chord. It is my belief that having all that information at your fingertips for each chord would be a worthy endeavor, and I have not seen this done for mandolin all together anywhere else.

Currently available at my site are the C family chords, and the section on movable chord shapes.

It is my hope that these can be useful references for mandolin enthusiasts, and I have plans to continue with pages for each of the other 11 keys, as well as chapters, or articles, on numerous chord related subjects.

C family chords: https://theamateurmandolinist.com/20...-for-mandolin/

Movable mandolin chord shapes: https://theamateurmandolinist.com/20...-chord-shapes/

Suggestions for chords to add are welcome.

Error reporting and constructive criticism are also welcome.

Thanks for looking, and happy mandolinning!
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Mark Gunter For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Illustrated Mandolin Chord Bible

Nice work, Mark!
    "Keep your hat on, we may end up miles from here..." - Kurt Vonnegut

4. The following members say thank you to Kevin Winn for this post:

Great effort man! The visuals on the fret board are well done - any thoughts on short talk over guides with each shape? (a lot of work I know) something like
    "we start with our index finger on the 5th fret of the G string......" maybe get Snoop Dog or Ozzy Osbourne for the voice over ?

not a criticism but to me the web page design itself seemed a little "busy" maybe spread it out more? put cool pictures of mandolins and mandolin greats in-between?
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

6. The following members say thank you to tmsweeney for this post:

I really like it Mark!
    One minor addition that would help my brain more quickly confirm what I’m seeing on the ones farther up the neck would be to also list them as 0-2-3-0, 5-2-3-0, etc.

8. The following members say thank you to NDO for this post:

Awesome Mark!
    Bookmarked for reference!

10. The following members say thank you to Dave Wrede for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by NDO View Post
    I really like it Mark!
    One minor addition that would help my brain more quickly confirm what I’m seeing on the ones farther up the neck would be to also list them as 0-2-3-0, 5-2-3-0, etc.
    Thanks Don.

I think you're referring to the movable chord shapes page. On that page, I show closed position chord shapes. They are shown in their lowest possible closed position form, starting at the first fret. If there were open strings, they wouldn't be movable. At the same time, it is true that you can lower any of these chord shapes by a half step (or semitone) - that is, you can lower them by one more fret, allowing any string(s) that are shown fretted on the first fret to become open strings instead.

EXAMPLES:

This chord:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mov_Maj_01.jpg 
Views:	2644 
Size:	167.3 KB 
ID:	202910

can be lowered a half step, whereby the G and E strings become open strings like this:

Name:	C_1.jpg 
Views:	2716 
Size:	416.9 KB 
ID:	202911

Or, this chord:

Name:	Mov_Maj_05.jpg 
Views:	2672 
Size:	173.2 KB 
ID:	202912

can be lowered a half step, whereby the E string becomes an open string like this:

Name:	C_2.jpg 
Views:	2694 
Size:	413.2 KB 
ID:	202913

You can do the same type of thing with any of the other couple of dozen chord shapes shown on the movable chords page. It would more than double my work to show every one of them though. But there is much more to be written and published at my site about chords in the days and months ahead, so stay tuned. Can't do it all at once, lol.

Thank you for the suggestion though, I appreciate it. I'll try to incorporate as many of the suggestions as possible into my work.

- YouTube Stuff

Blog Entries

Very nice website Mark. I had a little difficulty in understanding the angled position of the neck chart until I saw that it is a similar angle to the mandolin in the photo. A more obvious nut on the chart may help indicate the correct orientation.

Also the comments, even though they start with a number, would be better associated under the photograph and within the black bars, more like a caption. It took a while to understand that the comments were 'before' the next example.

And wow. This is like a one man Mandolin Cafe. Great work here.
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

Quote Originally Posted by NDO View Post
    I really like it Mark!
    Ahhhh! On re-reading your post, Don, I am now certain that I misunderstood your point! I believe that you meant I should add the "informal, shorthand chord notation" that we use: 0-2-3-0, etc. to each chord chart, along with the other diagrams, images, notation, etc. already there for each one. If that's the case, that could be done easily enough.

- YouTube Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by DougC View Post
    Very nice website Mark. I had a little difficulty in understanding the angled position of the neck chart until I saw that it is a similar angle to the mandolin in the photo. A more obvious nut on the chart may help indicate the correct orientation.

Also the comments, even though they start with a number, would be better associated under the photograph and within the black bars, more like a caption. It took a while to understand that the comments were 'before' the next example.

And wow. This is like a one man Mandolin Cafe. Great work here.
    I agree wholeheartedly, Doug, I find it difficult myself when reading the comments as they are. All of this is in transition, as I had everything in a book layout with only 2-3 chord charts per page, in anticipation of publication. I've been working on this web page layout, and things that aren't working well will need to be changed again :-) as putting this together online has already required massive layout changes.

Thanks for pointing this out, I will definitely address it.

On the point about the nut though ... I had considered this several times long ago, and decided not to make the nut "look" more apparent there, because chords on up the neck have to rely heavily on paying attention to the fret number. I think a prominent nut graphic would make up-the-neck charts a little more difficult. Unfortunately, the graphic I settled on has a sort of 3D cross section of the neck on the left side where the notes are shown, and this can be confused as a nut I suppose ... so I have to concede that my graphic there is far from perfectly suited to the task at hand.

Just try to imagine a standard chord chart, tilted to the right to sort of match the photo, with fancy graphic. That's what I was going for here.
    Last edited by Mark Gunter; Aug-26-2022 at 12:18pm.

- YouTube Stuff

Great stuff Mark! I like the layout and the additional notes (like note function, standard notation etc). One thing I found a little confusing at first was the strings being named at the bottom instead of the top of the graphic. It sort of makes it look like the graphic is upside down at first.

Aside from the actual lesson stuff, you may want to update the site so that chord charts for songs you have listed open a new tab instead of using the same tab. That will allow the user to view the chart without losing their place in the lesson etc.
    Information on lessons, gigs, and misc musical stuff: www.mattcbruno.com
    Weekly free Mandolin Lessons: www.mattcbruno.com/weekly-posts/
    My gear and recommendations: www.mattcbruno.com/gear-recommendations/
    Cooking fun: www.mattcbruno.com/quarantine-cookbook/

Mando's in use
    Primary: Newson 2018
    Secondary: Gibson F9 2014
    Primary Electric: Jonathan Mann OSEMdc 5

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mbruno For This Useful Post:

Yes Mark, that’s what I meant- the shorthand notation would help my brain confirm quickly what my eyes were seeing.
    Great resource!

18. The following members say thank you to NDO for this post:

I’m probably the only person who didn’t immediately know where the nut was located. That could be clearer.

This is a great body of information well presented.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

20. The following members say thank you to Bill McCall for this post:

This is a wonderful resource. Thank you for what must be many, many hours of work.
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

22. The following members say thank you to jaycat for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McCall View Post
    I’m probably the only person who didn’t immediately know where the nut was located. That could be clearer.

This is a great body of information well presented.
    I had the same trouble. The graphic is aligned with the photo, but I couldn't figure out where the nut was either.

A suggestion: the fretboard graphic looks like it's presented as if the viewer is watching someone else fret the chord. There might be a way to rotate the graphic so that it looks like the POV of someone holding a mandolin. I think that since most people will have an instrument in their hands while using this, that perspective might make it easier to follow.
    It's not that life is short, but that we waste so much of it.

--Seneca (paraphrased)

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tighthead For This Useful Post:

The nut wouldn’t be on the chart graphic for most charts, only ones that begin on fret 1 … sorry this isn’t as obvious as I would prefer, but I’m assuming it doesn’t take long to understand the layout?

Has anyone looked at this page, and does it help?

https://theamateurmandolinist.com/20...hord-diagrams/

- YouTube Stuff

26. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

DougC 

Quote Originally Posted by mbruno View Post
    Aside from the actual lesson stuff, you may want to update the site so that chord charts for songs you have listed open a new tab instead of using the same tab. That will allow the user to view the chart without losing their place in the lesson etc.
    Thanks Matt, I’ll make sure to update the links for chord chart PDFs in the lessons

- YouTube Stuff

Blog Entries

Oh poor Mark. This discussion is going to add to his 'to do list'.

I think the best position for the chord chart is vertical and not at an angle. This is the typical orientation for chord charts in most all other books and websites.
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

Quote Originally Posted by DougC View Post
    Oh poor Mark. This discussion is going to add to his 'to do list'.

I think the best position for the chord chart is vertical and not at an angle. This is the typical orientation for chord charts in most all other books and websites.
    Lol, no worries here

Having insight to everyone’s thoughts and first perception is valuable. There’s room to improve in every endeavor. But I’m not necessarily going to make major changes to the graphic layout when I’m pretty sure it’s understood after a teeny bit of study.

- YouTube Stuff

30. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

DougC 

I agree with your choice to leave the nut out of the graphics. I think it would just cause more confusion, especially for beginners.

I see why others suggest making the fingering charts vertical, because that's how we usually see them. But given the picture right there, and seeing how the pictures line up so nicely with the graphics, I think it's best to leave them as they are. Just my 1.5 cents' worth.

There's only one improvement I'd like to see, for the moveable shapes pages, though I'm not sure how best to do it without adding confusion. But, especially for the major shapes, it's a really helpful mnemonic to know what the chord shape is based on from its open-chord position. We do this in guitar, calling an E played at the 7th fret an "A shape," because that's the shape of the A chord at open position. This is the basis for the very helpful "CAGED" framework often used for teaching guitar.

With your pages, I had to mentally subtract a semitone from each "example" to see that you were showing the G, D, E, etc shapes.

Now, I understand why you're showing each example at the lowest fret without open strings. That makes sense, and I'm not suggesting you change that. But for each chord where there is an obvious open position analog, it might be nice to say something like "This is often called the C shape, because when played at root position with one or more open strings, it's a C." That statement, right at the top, in mostly small font but bold "C SHAPE", would be very helpful to a lot of us who are still learning our basic chords on mando. If there are any cases where there isn't a good open position analog, just leave it out. That happens for guitar, but might not for mando.

And there's my other .5 cents.

Regardless, as a newbie on mando, I will find myself referring to this a lot. I might even have to print it out! I just learned a couple dominant 7 shapes that I was unaware of, and so far I only have one min7 shape in my toolkit, and this will help me add more.

32. The following members say thank you to JeffLearman for this post:

Thanks for the feedback, Jeff!

I would hesitate to name the movable shapes after the open chords for several reasons, but I think it will be useful to point out the relationship between the movable shape and the open chords. The way I prefer to do this is by giving a link to the open chord in the chord bible for comparison. I have already edited the movable chord shape page so that the first chord shape now has a note with such a link, check it out and let me know what you think.

Once I get the other "chord family" pages done, I'll be able to cross reference more chords in that manner. Right now, only C family chords are done, there are 11 more families to go!

As to why not name the shapes by open chord names? There are going to often be more than one movable shape becoming a C chord or E chord, etc., when moved down to an open position.

Examples:

This movable Db shape 1-3-4-1 becomes open C, 0-2-3-0
    But this movable Db shape 6-3-4-1 also becomes C, 5-2-3-0 ... as well as B on 3 strings: 4-1-2-x
    The movable shapes are versatile in the extreme.

I know that the CAGED system is popular and helpful on guitar. When I began playing guitar around 1966, I hadn't heard of it, and over the years I learned most all of the barre chords before I'd ever heard of it. I don't knock it at all, just saying I never used it personally, as such. I'm not sure any truly similar system has been developed for mandolin ... but learning by analogy, comparing open chords to closed chords, etc. is all good and helpful. I have used analogy like that in all my years of learning. I'll definitely find a way to incorporate that into my current work; thanks for the suggestion.

- YouTube Stuff

34. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

Before I get too far on the Chord Bible journey, I'm going to update the chords that I've already done so far ... the C family chords, and the movable chord shapes ... in order to incorporate a couple of changes. Most notably, to clarify the orientation (bridge direction, nut direction) and to add yet another chord "notation" to each chart - what I call the "Cafe Shortcut," example: 0-2-3-0

If anyone knows of a better term for this type of chord "notation," please let me know. Otherwise it's Mandolin Cafe Shortcut notation.

Another change, which will hopefully be an improvement ... I'm going to use a 6 fret graphic throughout. Originally, I began using a four fret graphic for the charts, and used a 5 fret or 6 fret only where necessary. Now, I'm thinking it will better to be consistent with a 6 fret graphic throughout. This will make production a tiny bit easier, and I think it will better serve a graphic of a mandolin neck, as mandolins have crowded frets compared to the ever popular guitar.

- YouTube Stuff

Update: I've completed the C family chord chart changes, and am now working on the movable chords. The following changes have been made:

1. A six-fret graphic now used throughout
    2. Bridge/nut orientation added to graphic
    3. Cafe shorthand notation added to each chart

Examples:

C7#9

Name:	C7#9_1.jpg 
Views:	2202 
Size:	168.8 KB 
ID:	203462

How To Read Charts

Name:	how-to.jpg 
Views:	2238 
Size:	665.3 KB 
ID:	203463

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. Also, thanks to Matt Bruno, I will now make sure that links on lesson pages open in a new tab.

NOTE: Although all the C family chord charts have now been revised, they have not been uploaded to the web as yet!

- YouTube Stuff

37. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

This is rad! Thank you for sharing it.

Just a quick note: C Family Chords have now been uploaded, all charts updated with cafe shorthand and other improvements as mentioned above.

Movable chords to be updated next.

- YouTube Stuff

40. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Mark - absolutely superb. Thank you for all of this.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

42. The following members say thank you to David Lewis for this post: