Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Custom mandolin Info

Default Re: Custom mandolin Info

I’m just helping with the sale is all.

The bourgeois guitar tag said vintage d Adirondack, nothing on the year of it

Also the Martin is a HD 28 but the serial number that is on the neck can not be found on there website as to what year it is,

The brown top resonator guitar just says on a receipt it’s a James custom reso,

The oval hole one just says Dennis putkus on the inside nothing more

From the serial number I’d say the bourgeois is a 2008
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8C3CED21-59B2-4FB6-9B98-53FED62D3A6A.png 
Views:	88 
Size:	2.48 MB 
ID:	202928  

Generally the attorney for an estate will value items based on market value. Is there an inventory list that came with these?
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    Generally the attorney for an estate will value items based on market value. Is there an inventory list that came with these?
    I shouldn’t of said an estate sale, everything was left to us in his will, so it wasn’t inventoried so that’s what I’m doing currently.

My suggestion is to contact the builders or dealers where those instruments may have come from. The Girouard is from The Music Emporium in Lexington. They can give you values, both resale and for tax purposes.

OP stated “New poster here, got a bunch of mandolins from an estate sale.”

Now they were “left to us in his will.”

This smells fishy.

Lots of mixed message and info, but let's give the OP the benefit of the doubt.

My suggestion is, if the OP is looking for help selling, then he/she should speak with a couple of well-respected dealers (like those who would have sold the instruments to the deceased) and consign them. It takes less time, don't have to deal with shipping, collecting money, etc. It's well worth the 20%. They might also be able to sell the whole lot at once and be done with it.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Puck View Post
    OP stated “New poster here, got a bunch of mandolins from an estate sale.”

Now they were “left to us in his will.”

This smells fishy.
    Not fishy at all actually, we’re selling all his things that he had, I was looking for info on his instruments.

Lots of mixed message and info, but let's give the OP the benefit of the doubt.

My suggestion is, if the OP is looking for help selling, then he/she should speak with a couple of well-respected dealers (like those who would have sold the instruments to the deceased) and consign them. It takes less time, don't have to deal with shipping, collecting money, etc. It's well worth the 20%. They might also be able to sell the whole lot at once and be done with it.
    I’m looking for information about the instruments, as I don’t deal with this stuff everyday, there is a local music shop that will be looking at them but not knowing about them I didn’t wanna go in not knowing about them

Not every music store is well-versed in these types of instruments. You need to spend as much time vetting where you resell as you do on what they are worth. And you may not want to resell them all at one shop.

I am going to imagine that these were insured outside of the deceased's homeowner's insurance, so there may be a policy somewhere that would have replacement values listed. Condition is also going to be a factor on resale.

12. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

If you could tell where you are at in the U.S. someone may be able to suggest a retailer to work with. A small local store will not see the customers or traffic to sell these instruments for what they are worth in a reasonable time frame though they may have connections of be able to suggest a partner. There are a few higher end retailers in the country who deal in these types of instruments regularly. Just doing some quick arithmetic, the total value of these instruments is probably in excess of $40,000 with the right buyers over a period of time. It is worth spending some time finding the right partner to work with.

Doing it yourself would require knowing how to package and ship, insurance costs, significant time dealing with individual buyers, approval periods and possible returns and a bunch of other issues. I have seen small local shops sit on this level of instrument for 3 or 4 years at times because there are only so many buyers with $3000 or $5000 to spend on an instrument and they are picky about what they want.

14. The following members say thank you to CarlM for this post:

I second what the others have said -- consign with a "big league" vintage dealer (Boston, NYC, Nashville and a hand full of others -- for example, even a big store that sells a lot of expensive heavy metal guitars wouldn't have a clue how to market these instruments, IMHO.) Even at that, they won't sell quickly -- might be a couple year process. The bigger stores would be in a position to purchase your whole collection immediately, but their offer wouldn't make you happy.

Agree that shipping is tricky, giving a return policy is tricky, dealing with payment is tricky -- a dealer takes care of all that.

Be aware, even some well-known shops have "hidden" costs that they will take off your end, such as setup, cleaning, restringing, etc. In most cases, the item didn't need any work at all, it's just a know gimmick to be aware of.

FWIW, I've done a lot of wheeling and dealing with instruments over the years, mostly eBay and vintage guitar shows. Both those markets have slowed tremendously, but still work if the price on the item is right. Example, a few years ago a local guy with a studio wanted to sell some instruments and called me. I asked what he wanted individually and for the whole lot. His lot price was fair and I thought there was money to be made. He consigned them with me, I rented a table at a medium-sized vintage guitar show and was able in a weekend to sell them all and make both of us money. I felt lucky not to be left with half of them unsold. The cost of a single show table is $150-500, so that is much cheaper than a normal consignment. And faster. Keep in mind, I've been dealing with these buyers/store owners for years and know who is interested in what. A new seller might not have as good of luck. And, like I said, his price was fair, mostly name brand vintage instruments in great condition. If he had wanted top money, probably only a couple would have sold at full retail, IMHO.
    Last edited by Jeff Mando; Aug-27-2022 at 4:56pm.

Thank you both for the insight, it is definitely something I will look into for shops, i live in maine, I understand that I’ll have to sit on them to get any real value out of them, like it was mentioned not every one has big money to spend like that especially nowadays, that’s why I posted in here and it’s done me more help than Google has,

I also live in Maine. I would suggest that you give Ian a call at The Music Emporium and speak with him. I can tell you now, that some of those instruments came from there. I've worked with them for more than 20 years, and they are as fair as it gets. They can at least give you an idea of what to expect out of the collection.

It's about a two hour ride from Portland. I don't know where you are in Maine, but it would be at least worth the phone call.

18. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

I also live in Maine. I would suggest that you give Ian a call at The Music Emporium and speak with him. I can tell you now, that some of those instruments came from there. I've worked with them for more than 20 years, and they are as fair as it gets. They can at least give you an idea of what to expect out of the collection.

It's about a two hour ride from Portland. I don't know where you are in Maine, but it would be at least worth the phone call.
    Northern maine so it’s about 6.5 hours, but it’s definitely worth the call, I would travel if I had to. I think one did and the other came from mandolin headquarters. Thank you for that advice, I’ll definitely be calling them

Teacher, repair person

The trip and the cost of a motel room would be well woth your while. especially if you have no experience selling musical instruments.
    Selling instruments privately can be a lot of work and take a long time. And packing a dozen instruments safely and securely would take many hours.

Music Emporium has a national clientele, loads of experience, and a good reputation. Several of your instruments are in a price range that might be easier for them to be able to sell than a local shop. While I generally like to support small local shops as much as possible, the Emporium is better equipped to handle your sales. And even with their consignment fees, they might be able to realize you as much on a sale than what you would make if you try to sell them privately.

Quote Originally Posted by Wood2010 View Post
    Northern maine so it’s about 6.5 hours, but it’s definitely worth the call, I would travel if I had to. I think one did and the other came from mandolin headquarters. Thank you for that advice, I’ll definitely be calling them
    My family is up near Kingwood. It's quite a hike. We are down around the southern NH border. Call Ian and tell him I sent you (Mary Kaczowka) to them.

I am sorry for your loss.

You've easily got $40K or more worth of instruments here. Definitely worth the drive to consign it all.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

23. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by rcc56 View Post
    The trip and the cost of a motel room would be well woth your while. especially if you have no experience selling musical instruments.
    Selling instruments privately can be a lot of work and take a long time. And packing a dozen instruments safely and securely would take many hours.

Music Emporium has a national clientele, loads of experience, and a good reputation. Several of your instruments are in a price range that might be easier for them to be able to sell than a local shop. While I generally like to support small local shops as much as possible, the Emporium is better equipped to handle your sales. And even with their consignment fees, they might be able to realize you as much on a sale than what you would make if you try to sell them privately.
    It is a lot more work than I thought it would be as far as selling instruments, it’s well worth to check it out for sure,

- - - Updated - - -

My family is up near Kingwood. It's quite a hike. We are down around the southern NH border. Call Ian and tell him I sent you (Mary Kaczowka) to them.

I am sorry for your loss.
    I will, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Wood2010 View Post
    The oval hole one just says Dennis putkus on the inside nothing more
    Dennis Patkus is a guitar builder/repair tech in Waterville, ME.
    https://www.facebook.com/Patkusguitarandrepair/
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Leyda View Post
    The blond F4 sure looks like a Cricket Fiddle instrument built by TJ. They're very nice imo. More info here:
    https://www.cricketfiddle.com/
    Chuck is right. The unique scroll shape, scrolls on the headstock, clam shell inlay and Allen tailpiece are hallmarks of TJ's work. The Madelia Minnesota label clinches it.
    Probably a western red cedar top. Was there a custom handbuilt case with it?

I'm interested in that one!

Blog Entries

A Gentler Reminder, we don't use the forums for specific commerce. Please contact folks by PM for direct inquiries into purchases.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +