Thread: Can this be buffed to gloss?

Default Can this be buffed to gloss?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4139.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	755.2 KB 
ID:	202931

Area of body across from scroll looks like it never got buffed (machine limitations?). Some adjacent to the fretboard too. Can I micro-buff this to a gloss? Use a product like Maguires?
    Thanks for any ideas/opinions.

Default Re: Can this be buffed to gloss?

Should be able to. Maguiars, Novus 2, similar, on a soft rag. Expect to spend some time getting the gloss to match.
    Or... get some Micromesh and start with 3200 grit or so and work your way toward 12000 grit, stopping when the gloss matches the rest of the finish (probably about 8000 grit or so).

(Here's an example of the difference between an inexpensive F-style mando and a more expensive one. Keep track of your time doing this and figure your hourly rate. Add that to the mandolin price.)

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sunburst For This Useful Post:

Thanks John.

Quote Originally Posted by sunburst View Post
    .....(Here's an example of the difference between an inexpensive F-style mando and a more expensive one. Keep track of your time doing this and figure your hourly rate. Add that to the mandolin price.)
    Then triple that number for the three times it rubbed through the finish and had to be re-done....
    www.condino.com

Crafted by hand in a workshop powered by the sun.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to j. condino For This Useful Post:

About 45 minutes with Maguiar's and a Q-tip got it done.

It's an Eastman MD 615 (and my first and only mandolin) so not cheap but certainly not "upper shelf." I notice that the inside curves of the scroll are even less gloss, some of which I won't even attempt to improve. John, do you somehow get all the surfaces of your builds to the same finish level? That would indeed take scores of hours.

Quote Originally Posted by M19 View Post
    ...John, do you somehow get all the surfaces of your builds to the same finish level?...
    Guitars, yeah pretty much. F-5s? No way. The equipment required to get a top level finish (including hands) will not fit into the nooks and crannies of scrolls, elevated fingerboard extenders and such. Even the usual A-style mando has an elevated extender. The designs prevent excellent finish on all surfaces.

9. The following members say thank you to sunburst for this post:

M19 

That was my thought too. I can improve a little more, but that's it. Now I won't feel like I'm lazy or something!

It’s always easier to make a finish look worse ,than look better.