Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Ellis Mandolins at Music Emporium

Default Re: New Ellis Mandolins at Music Emporium

There is one longtime employee at Sylvan who usually has the grumpy attitude that Mary mentioned, so since they have a pretty small staff, you easily and unfortunately could end up dealing with him when you call. Your best bet would be to ask to talk to Mike, who is the longtime manager. He always knows the inventory, since he orders everything, and he knows how to talk with customers.

To reconnect this with the comments from the OP and Russ, Mike has said that he has to order Ellises way in advance because of the backlog. So, many people must feel that the prices are right (or low) for those "amazing, amazing builds."

Also, because Sylvan usually has a Pava or two in stock, it's interesting to play those side-by-side with an Ellis, when one of those is in stock. To my ear, the Ellis always sounds like a higher-grade Pava, which makes sense, given their partnership and their relative price points. So, if you're a happy Pava owner and you decide someday to upgrade, an Ellis should make you a happier camper. Jason, since you have both, would you agree?
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

I am fortunate enough to make my living playing mandolin and even more fortunate to be able to play an Ellis mandolin everyday so I just would like to say if anything they may be underpriced! Get one while you can I say.
    Steve Smith

I believe Jason’s Ellis is at TME.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    Check the more recent reviews on Yelp and the content on the Google reviews. Read a couple of the more recent reviews. Either way, I’m glad you all had great experiences. I know plenty of folks who have had the same experience as I have, including local folks, who walked in, and walked out.
    Sorry you've had a bad experience, but since you've made your point multiple times now, I don't see the need for continuing to run down a local business that has very favorable reviews.
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus CA View Post
    Also, because Sylvan usually has a Pava or two in stock, it's interesting to play those side-by-side with an Ellis, when one of those is in stock. To my ear, the Ellis always sounds like a higher-grade Pava, which makes sense, given their partnership and their relative price points. So, if you're a happy Pava owner and you decide someday to upgrade, an Ellis should make you a happier camper. Jason, since you have both, would you agree?
    I would agree. I bought a Pava there when I got serious about the mandolin and wanted a nicer instrument. Beautiful overtones and a sweet sound and a great price at the time.

Last summer did a driving trip down the California coast and stopped in to try an Ellis they had in stock. Didn’t intend to buy it; just wanted to compare to the Pava. But it has an even better tone and more sustain. My wife who was there agreed and I bought it on the spot (and did the trip carting around two mandolins.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    I believe Jason’s Ellis is at TME.
    I sold the Pava privately to fund the purchase of an Octolindo (an amazing instrument and unique). And as Mary knows I traded the Ellis for a Campanella at TME. The Ellis was wonderful but I play mostly classical and the Campanella with its tone and violin build works better for my playing style.

Interestingly TME has not listed my Ellis for sale. I don’t know if that’s because they have another used Ellis in stock or someone bought it in the store before it hit the website.

TME gets a lot of inventory, a lot that never gets to the website.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."