Thread: 1930 Harmony/Supertone 2 point

Default 1930 Harmony/Supertone 2 point

The back is off this and you can see the block free construction at the neck. The mandolin only has three strings- so the neck is not under much if any tension. The necks on these have a tendency to dive downward due to the construction. I suppose with the back off one can ascertain if this might be a problem and remedy it if so. The label inside from Sears, Roebuck was changed in about 1930, which helps date the instrument. This might be a fun project and these mandolins are supposed to sound good according to Jake Wildwood although they were made using various wood types- this one is probably all birch.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20407933344...Bk9SR8zPvJrdYA

Default Re: 1930 Harmony/Supertone 2 point

I wouldn't call this construction 'neck block free'. It's a weird approach but related to other well known construction by Vega and others where the sides (ribs) don't entirely cover the neck block.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	temp.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	340.8 KB 
ID:	202961
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

The graphic on it is cool and so is the shape. If I had more $$ I'd buy it and have it drop shipped to Jake.
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

Jake has worked on at least two of them- the mahogany and spruce versions. You see people asking for silly prices for these mandolins- as one does for many things but the price for this one is not stupid if it just needs the back gluing on to it!

Gone. Best offer accepted.
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar