Thread: EQ Pedal for Live Shows?

Default EQ Pedal for Live Shows?

I am currently running a K&K PU into a Red Eye Twin Preamp. Our PA is pretty basic and I'm looking for an EQ pedal to dial in my tone a bit more. Any suggestions?

Registered User Nathan Kellstadt's Avatar

Default Re: EQ Pedal for Live Shows?

I've found the Boss GE-7 seven band EQ pedal to be very helpful on my electric, specifically boosting that weak E string. I imagine it would do the trick for your situation as well.

3. The following members say thank you to Nathan Kellstadt for this post:

Blog Entries

I agree with Nathan 100%. I use the GE-7 constantly at every gig and every rehearsal. I use a gentle smile curve, cut the mids bosst the highs and lows. I leave the level slider on 0, but you can use it as a clean boost as well.

Daniel

5. The following members say thank you to Daniel Nestlerode for this post:

I have an old Fishman Platinum Pro EQ and I think it works well but dont have anything to compare it to. It is a 3 band EQ with extra refinement on the middle band. My pick up is a piezo like the K&K which is surface mounted (Its the dual JBB).

Interesting I do kind of just the opposite of Daniel in the post above. I cut the bass slider down completely because I didnt figure the mando has anything in the freq and all I was getting from it was noise. Then I cut the treble down completely because I like a deep thunky tone over the icepick twang. Then on the mids for the middle band I select the high mids and cut that down some. I leave the low and middle mids untouched at zero. It has a presence knob that I cut to zero. It has a smooth knob that I do use and it helps a lot with getting the harshness out. So I dont know if what I said here is absurd or not I just winged it based on tone I was after.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

7. The following members say thank you to Astro for this post:

Not an EQ pedal as such, but the Fishman Platinum Stage has a 3-band EQ with sweepable mids. I turn the bass right down (nothing there but noise on a mandolin), then put the mid freq at "quarter to midnight" and turn down the mids a bit as well - those are actually at the bottom end of the mandolin and just stop things being too thumpy and mid-rangy. Solo, I like all that bottom end, but in a band you need more cut otherwise no one will hear you! Finally, if you start hearing any harshness or fragile sounding notes, cuts around 5-10K may help. I don't normally need that, but recently had a venue's PA which was unduly harsh in that range. So very much the opposite of a "smile".

9. The following members say thank you to Tavy for this post: