Thread: Fratelli Vinaccia 1898

Default Fratelli Vinaccia 1898

There is a plate on the headstock on this mandolin from New York- and so much of this mandolin is American, I am wondering if some Italian mandolin maker did not arrive in the USA with a pocket full of Vinaccia labels! Of course, it may have been modified but that seems a bit extreme. Others may have their own views.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/26585608053...23a8%7Ciid%3A1

Default Re: Fratelli Vinaccia 1898

It has some issues, but $61.00, if you couldn't fix it, not a bad price for a wall-hanger.

Yes, it now has some bids but I have never seen a Vinaccia quite like it so I was wondering if it had been modified. You see that plate with its engraving on 1920s Regal made flat back mandolins.

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NickR View Post
    Yes, it now has some bids but I have never seen a Vinaccia quite like it so I was wondering if it had been modified. You see that plate with its engraving on 1920s Regal made flat back mandolins.
    Modified, as in a new headstock, new fretboard and new bowl?

I’d like to see more photos of this.

Some late 20’s Vinaccia bowls started to diverge widely from the iconic design of the early years, with some even looking very Calace-like.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Mick, are you also suggesting it is not a Vinaccia? I certainly have my doubts and wonder if it is being passed off as one many years ago.

Mick, are you also suggesting it is not a Vinaccia? I certainly have my doubts and wonder if it is being passed off as one many years ago.
    Nick, I can’t really form a firm opinion from the few photos, but it sure doesn’t look like an 1898 Vinaccia.
    That’s muy sketchioso.

Never seen anything from i fratelli from that era that even vaguely resembles this….unless perhaps everything on it was replaced but the label.

The design liberties that Vinaccia took that I was referring to were from the mid / late ‘20s.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

I have posted this photo of the label as it may magnify a little once posted making it possible to read the label a bit better. I really don't think it is by Vinaccia.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600 (6).jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	397.3 KB 
ID:	203022

I can’t say for 100% what how Vinaccia was constructing their necks but I always look for that veneer and “volute” (sorry, Mick) that is characteristic of even the lower-end Vinaccia’s. The back view shows a one piece neck. Yes, somewhat suspect. It also needs plenty of work.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

9. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Can’t help with identification, but some of my interest in old things is how decay makes patina or plain rot. The celluloid plate, which is probably well on the road to detonation, shows no visible change in the white pattern, which I had thought was also the same material. It could be something else, though. Assuming that most inlays were die cut in production, not hand cut, and inlay cast in place. Anyone know?
    Haven’t tried to restore/duplicate any of these with inlay, figuring that, by hand, difficult and no fun. What, if anything, is done on instruments where the process is considered important?

So apology necessary, Don Diego.

I conceded on this issue a few years back and coincidentally just referred to a tiny one on a Harwood bowlback that a fellow recently posted in another thread.

I tracked down the fossil volutes you were refering to.

It now has me wondering if the 'architectural volute' that I was locked, might be an end-on view of the spiraled cone of the fossil.

Glad you stuck with it.

I learned something and now have another idea to track down.

Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

My 1890s Vinaccia has a separate headstock glued to the neck with a little piece glued above the joint although it is now missing. The headstock and neck of this mandolin is nothing like my Vinaccia- not remotely close.

Well, it made a whopping $305! I wonder if the buyer will be happy?

My 1890s Vinaccia has a separate headstock glued to the neck with a little piece glued above the joint although it is now missing. The headstock and neck of this mandolin is nothing like my Vinaccia- not remotely close.
    Yes, indeed. Same with my 1898 Giuseppe Vinaccia -- the little MOP piece got lost in the intervening decades, but I had it replaced when it was restored. See attached photo.

Martin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220905_213855.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	385.4 KB 
ID:	203090  

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Martin Jonas For This Useful Post:

Many years ago when he worked on my Vinaccia my luthier was quite proud that he had in his parts box some MOP from the handle of a Colt revolver that he cut nicely to fit that pearl triangle on the volute area.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

17. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

NickR