Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old New Guy -Any second day tips?

Default Re: Old New Guy -Any second day tips?

Wow, clearly some pretty generous folks here for sure. I really appreciate the time and thought put in to these responses. My first free night, and I am locked in to lesson 3 on Baron Collins Hill You Tube. I suspect it will be even better when the UPS guys shows up with some picks and a strap. Mandolin for Dummies showed up this AM.

Getting my finger tips cleanly on the strings might take the rest of 2022, but It feels like fishing to me -never really a waste of time -outcome be damned. Cannot imagine not pressing down hard, but I know it will come.

A ton of great advice, I'm gonna have to digest a bit before I can even formulate a question. As far as the Mandolin, for $150, it is just beautiful.

I just took an old skateboard hanger and stuck it to the wall in my office. I am going to be VERY mindful of the mute button from here on out,

Thank you all

Chris

2. The following members say thank you to CJD257 for this post:

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

Mandolin for Dummies is very good. Packed with information & technique, almost too much to absorb. I use mine more as a reference book than a method.

I also like The American Mandolin Method. It's a strange one, though. The "lessons" go something like "Many songs are boult around runs of quarter notes. Here are several of them." And then there are several songs to learn that are made up of runs of quarter notes. Next will be "Here are some songs with runs of eighth notes" and then a couple more songs made up of runs of eighth notes. Then "Here's a bunch of songs with double stops" and then a couple more songs featuring those.

It's neat that he introduces technique in a logical way, and you build up your repertoire. Just different from any other method I've used.

You said you studied piano & trumpet back in the say. How's your standard notation reading? There are several methods built up from more classical music that teach mandolin, but you have to be able to read standard notation. One of them is the Bickford Method, which is old enough to be public domain and available all over the internet as a free pdf.
    Eastman MD-514 (F body, Sitka & maple, oval hole)
    Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

And still saving my nickels & dimes & bottle caps & breakfast cereal box tops for my lifetime mandolin.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dan in NH For This Useful Post:

Getting my finger tips cleanly on the strings might take the rest of 2022, but It feels like fishing to me -never really a waste of time -outcome be damned. Cannot imagine not pressing down hard, but I know it will come.
    As far as finger placement, the proper placement is just behind the fret. You should not be on the fret bar nor should you be halfway between them.

There are a couple of exercises to determine and reinforce light touch that are useful.

The first is to just touch the string muting it, not pressing down and pick back and forth so you have a clicking noise. Gradually increase pressure while picking till you get a clean sound with no buzzes or rattles. That is how hard you should press. Anything more hurts your playing. It can be reversed as well, pressing as you normally would then backing off pressure till you get a buzz.

The other exercise is to practice just touching the strings in the proper place behind the fret without moving the string at all. Do this at the first fret with your first finger then touch the second fret with the second finger, third with the third finger and fourth with the fourth finger. Do this moving up and down on all four sets of strings a few times. This will reinforce and train your hands to move and touch lightly.

That and digging in less deep when strumming and picking are the two things I wish I would have learned as a beginner. It would have saved me years of struggle.

I believe the majority of people have problems with this at one point or another and a few never overcome it. That is why you will see guitarists, especially, using paper thin light picks to avoid breaking them or having them pulled out of their hands. The left hand pressure problems lead to carpal tunnel problems, poor tone and intonation, inability to get up to speed and other problems.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CarlM For This Useful Post:

The number one thing that has helped me improve on mandolin is regularly playing music with other people.

When I started guitar nearly 46 years ago I learned and played mostly alone. I've gotten pretty good over the years. When I started mandolin nearly 15 years ago I soon started attending a weekly local jam/song circle. In about a year or less I was more proficient on mandolin than I was on guitar.

YouTube, method books, DVD's, in-person lessons, etc. are all good, useful tools. But NOTHING will propel you forward faster than regularly playing with others. If you wait until you think you're "good enough" you'll delay valuable experience.

8. The following members say thank you to Mandobart for this post:

CJD257 

One thing is for certain sure, playing music with other people is a lot more fun than playing alone

10. The following members say thank you to Dan in NH for this post:

CJD257 

Teacher.

12. The following members say thank you to lowtone2 for this post:

CJD257 

Welcoe to the Cafe, CJD257! You're just a spring chicken compared to some of us (me!) here.

14. The following members say thank you to Stacey Morris for this post:

CJD257 

This thread is gold to new players like me. Thank you to the contributors.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Captain Kirk For This Useful Post:

Welcome!

One thing that I have found helpful is to have a separate folder with just the few songs and techniques I'm working on at the moment in. I found that working from big ol' books was quite distracting and I didn't really feel like I was making much progress at all.

Having just what I'm currently working on in one place with nothing else (to distract me) has made a noticeable difference to how I rehearse or practice - it's also helped me work out what I do and don't like playing quicker.

One of the tips I've seen others suggest elsewhere when learning new instruments is to commit songs (or even just a few measures) to memory. Not having to focus on what note/chord comes next gives attention and focus to on how you're playing (not what you're playing).
    Mandolin: Eastman 305 & Ozark 2071s
    Guitar: LAG Four Seasons - Autumn (300D) & Epiphone PR-5E
    Piano: Yamaha Arius YDP-163

18. The following members say thank you to Rythemic for this post:

CJD257 

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kirk View Post
    This thread is gold to new players like me. Thank you to the contributors.

You’re welcome!

I do have one question. I want to get a set of back up strings so if I break one, I can get back up playing without a wait. I can only imagine it is a pretty passionate subject for some, but I suspect I am a long way from having a clue what I prefer.

What is a quality set of strings that would serve me well. I would say my style (five days in) is fat fingered, fret counting and muffled. I am able to transition from the C to the D in under 30 seconds (if the wind is right).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JiminRussia View Post
    Yes.
    1. Don’t make work out of this. It’s supposed to be fun, not drudgery, so don’t push yourself too hard. I did that 25 years ago and burned myself out. It took that long and a pandemic to get me to pick up an instrument again.
    2. Find a few “fun” tunes to play, and play what YOU enjoy playing, not what anyone else tells you you should be playing.
    3. Don’t get frustrated. If there is something that just completely stumps you, back away from it and let it rest for a few days and then go back to it again with a fresh attitude.
    4. Don’t get caught up in some of the useless banter about which tone wood is best or what strings to use or most importantly. “Do I need a better instrument?” Right now, it doesn’t matter and it won’t for another couple of years. As long as you cannot play up to the capabilities of the instrument that you have in your hands, you don’t need another instrument. Yes, that includes the “playability factor” which can always be resolved with a good set-up.
    5. Speaking of set-ups, get one done by a competent technician. It is always worth the cost, and is probably the most important factor to the beginning player.
    6. Quit listening two blowhards like me that have all the advice in the world, but can’t play worth a hoot.

This.

Find tunes you like to play and play them.
    Find others to play with, regardless of the instrument they play.
    When you're comfortable, play with people better than you are.
    Repeat.

22. The following members say thank you to Tjspahr1 for this post:

CJD257 

I use D'Addario Phosphor Bronze 11-40 for absolutely no reason at all. It's just what came up when I typed "Mandolin Strings" into Amazon.
    Eastman MD-514 (F body, Sitka & maple, oval hole)
    Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

And still saving my nickels & dimes & bottle caps & breakfast cereal box tops for my lifetime mandolin.

24. The following members say thank you to Dan in NH for this post:

CJD257 

I second the D'Addario PBs, medium guage (11-40). They're cheap, plentiful, and sound good.

26. The following members say thank you to Tjspahr1 for this post:

CJD257 

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CJD257 View Post
    I do have one question. I want to get a set of back up strings so if I break one, I can get back up playing without a wait. I can only imagine it is a pretty passionate subject for some, but I suspect I am a long way from having a clue what I prefer.

What is a quality set of strings that would serve me well. I would say my style (five days in) is fat fingered, fret counting and muffled. I am able to transition from the C to the D in under 30 seconds (if the wind is right).

Thanks
    There are some exquisite boutique string companies around, and over time you'll probably try some of them. For a beginner, a good baseline set is D'Addario Lights.

D'Addario is the industry standard for guitar for good reasons: They last, they're priced reasonably, and they sound good. Light strings aren't as loud as mediums, but I like them because they're easier to finger and put less pressure on the instrument's top than heavier strings. (And my mando is pretty loud, anyway.)
    Gibson A-Junior snakehead (Keep on pluckin'!)

28. The following members say thank you to Charlie Bernstein for this post:

CJD257 

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

And I don't think anyone mentioned this: Get a metronome!

A cheap wind-up one is all you need. Use it regularly so it becomes a habit. I'm sure others here will second that emotion.
    Gibson A-Junior snakehead (Keep on pluckin'!)

30. The following members say thank you to Charlie Bernstein for this post:

CJD257 

also, i'd recommend (if you haven't gotten one already) a headstock tuner because if you use a hand-held one, it doesn't work particularly well in a crowded room. There are a couple of jokes about mandolin tuning ... including 'mandolin players spend half their time tuning and the other half playing out of tune' -- because getting those double courses lined up exactly takes a good ear (or a good tuner).

If you read standard notation, you can play almost anything that's been written and the violin repertoire is great since the two instruments have the same fingering and sit in the same range.

And a caveat for playing traditional Irish -- the mandolin is generally considered a melody instrument there, not a backing instrument, which might be a surprise to the average bluegrass mandolinist who shows up for an open session without realizing things are different. Chops, complex chords, inventive rhythms won't win friends or influence people at an ITM session, so learning melody on some tunes is the way to go -- and great for practicing coordinating right and left hands.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

32. The following members say thank you to Randi Gormley for this post:

CJD257 

Congratulations on picking up the mandolin! I meet so many people that wish they could play music that you are way ahead of the game by actually jumping into the pool. Here are a few things that can help move things along better.

1. Find a teacher - Find a teacher either in your area or online and schedule a lesson. They'll be able to give you more valuable insight in 30 or 60 minutes. There is so much information readily available be it from books, videos, forums like this one, basically anywhere, that it is too much for one person to navigate on their own. The absolutely most helpful thing you can do is to pare this information down to what is most useful to you. Don't feel like you need to signup for weekly lessons most will be willing to accommodate ad hoc lessons when you need them. Any competent teacher will tell you when would be a good time to check in. YouTube lessons are great, but having someone give you specific advice to what you're doing is even better.

2. Find people to play with - A great motivating factor is regularly playing with others. It turns out everyone started as beginner no matter when they started and most people are welcoming to those wanting to get involved. Groups will have songs that they play regularly, so that will help you decide which ones to learn, and you'll get better faster with others than on your own.

3. Setup a practice space - It sounds like you are doing this, but have your instrument ready to go when you are. Keep everything you need close by like your tuner, strap, tuner, picks, tuner, book, and your tuner. Making an inviting space to pickup the instrument means you'll pick it up more often.

4. Tune - If you want free sounding better points tune whenever you think about it. A clip on tuner will help it go fast and easy. You can pick up a Snark or D'Addario for not that much and they will make you send better.

5. Manageable chunks - Mandolin for Dummies is a great resource, but treat it as the reference book it is. The beginning of the book deals with a lot of fundamentals that you can always be coming back to and the later sections are pretty expansive. Don't think you need to go through it page by page and master each piece. Find something you are interested in and keep working on it. You can spend a long time on a single page and still get lots out of it. You will get a lot of mileage out of the book.

6. Take your time - play as slow as you need to play relaxed. If you feel like you are pressing down really hard to get the strings to sound, see if slowing down helps. Going slow will help you internalize what you are doing and will lead to playing better sooner.

7. Keep at it - A professor of mine was fond of saying "Anybody can learn to be a good musician, it is the fine art of applying one's butt to a seat." He wasn't wrong. Consistency is what will help you make the most improvement. If you can practice as close to daily as you can. You will get more out of 20 minutes of practice every day than an hour every other day.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onswah For This Useful Post:

In answer to the questions that you didn’t ask,
    1. yes, your fingers are going to hurt for the rest of your life so don’t whine about it. Most of us have grown to enjoy the pain.
    2. Don’t get discouraged. Remember that you sound exactly like (enter name of favorite mandolinist) when he/she was at your stage of development.
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Ibanez M-522
    Gold Tone GM 10 Frypan

36. The following members say thank you to JiminRussia for this post:

CJD257 

D’Addario J74 strings are sort of standard. You might want to go a little lighter to J73s to start.

For your metronome, there are many free apps that work great.