Thread: Honest opinion sought

Default Honest opinion sought

Hi Folks
    I’ve been looking for a mandocello & I live in the UK. These things seem to be mutually exclusive. However, I have the opportunity of buying a British built basic acoustic m’cello or a mass produced electric/acoustic Korean/Chinese produced one, with all bells & whistles. Out of respect for the British luthier I won’t provide their details but their instruments have wooden backs & excellent tuners. The Korean instrument has a laminate back & possibly cheaper tuners. Otherwise the prices are exactly the same.
    My head says buy the foreign one, while my heart is telling me to buy the Brit.
    I know if it’s a judgement call but I’d appreciate your opinion please.
    Cheers
    Martin

Default Re: Honest opinion sought

Get the one that sounds better if it plays easily..
    Last edited by Bill McCall; Aug-30-2022 at 4:40pm. Reason: fixed autocorrect error
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

3. The following members say thank you to Bill McCall for this post:

MartP 

I can't imagine why you would buy the Korean one if the British option is solid wood with better tuners. Is it a bit homespun looking with the fit & finish? I generally find solid wood to sound better and give preference to tone over looks. But yeah, as Bill said, if you can try them both out go for tone & playability. If you are buying unseen I'd opt for domestic production & solid wood. Good luck!
    2004 Gibson F5 Alan Bibey Signature Series
    c1930 Gibson A
    Eastman MDO 305
    2017 RAG F #29
    Kay A
    NoName "finish it yourself" Ebay beater F

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stopstop For This Useful Post:

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Guy says, "Doc, I can't get a date. What's wrong with me?"

Doctor says, "Well, you're ugly."

Guy says, "I want a second opinion!"

Doctor says, "Okay. You're stupid, too!"
    Gibson A-Junior snakehead (Keep on pluckin'!)

7. The following members say thank you to Charlie Bernstein for this post:

MartP 

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stopstop View Post
    I can't imagine why you would buy the Korean one if the British option is solid wood with better tuners. Is it a bit homespun looking with the fit & finish? I generally find solid wood to sound better and give preference to tone over looks. But yeah, as Bill said, if you can try them both out go for tone & playability. If you are buying unseen I'd opt for domestic production & solid wood. Good luck!
    What Stopstop said!

Why is your head telling you to get a plywood mando? I don't get it. But I'm a heart-follower, myself.
    Gibson A-Junior snakehead (Keep on pluckin'!)

9. The following members say thank you to Charlie Bernstein for this post:

MartP 

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

Do the two mandocellos cost the same, or close to it?

I can't imagine a PacRim instrument from a reputable company (say, Eastman) that sells in the same price range as a local luthier-built instrument NOT sounding awesome.

For example, I sort of have my eye on a Big Muddy flat top, oval hole mandolin. The one that I have my eye on, build to my specifications, would run me right around $900. OR I could buy a $900 Eastman from Elderly Instruments or The Mandolin Store, like for example the Eastman MD505, and I know that it would be all solid select tone woods, hand carved, excellent fit & finish, and excellent intonation & playability thanks to the set up that Elderly Instruments & The Mandolin Store do on all the mandolins they ship.

Now a PacRim instrument with a laminate back, if it cost, say, half of what the MD505 cost, around $450, well a $450 instrument that has a laminate back, I'm probably not even going to pick it up and play it. And I would never in my life expect to find any local luthier-built instrument costing anything near that low.
    Eastman MD-514 (F body, Sitka & maple, oval hole)
    Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

And still saving my nickels & dimes & bottle caps & breakfast cereal box tops for my lifetime mandolin.

11. The following members say thank you to Dan in NH for this post:

MartP 

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

Actually now what I check The Mandolin Store they have two Eastman Mandocellos, one F and one oval, but they're more like $2400. According to google that's ~2000 pounds, if that helps.

I don't know any other PacRim companies off the top of my head that make mandocellos. And I happen to be a huge Eastman fan.
    Eastman MD-514 (F body, Sitka & maple, oval hole)
    Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

And still saving my nickels & dimes & bottle caps & breakfast cereal box tops for my lifetime mandolin.

13. The following members say thank you to Dan in NH for this post:

MartP 

Quote Originally Posted by Dan in NH View Post
    Actually now what I check The Mandolin Store they have two Eastman Mandocellos, one F and one oval, but they're more like $2400. According to google that's ~2000 pounds, if that helps.

I don't know any other PacRim companies off the top of my head that make mandocellos. And I happen to be a huge Eastman fan.
    Gold Tone with solid top but laminated back & sides: https://goldtonemusicgroup.com/goldt...nts/mandocello
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

15. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

MartP 

Thanks to everyone that responded. You've helped me decide to go for the Brit. I'm going to own it for a long time (hopefully) & so I want something that I'm going to feel proud to own. I don't need the bells & whistles . . . that won't replace the need to play well!
    Best wishes
    Martin