Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just tried a Blue Chip pick on my mandolin

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

Default Just tried a Blue Chip pick on my mandolin

So a while ago I packed away my mandolin to focus on my guitar playing. While doing so, on a lark I spent the money on a Blue Chip pick, a TAD 60. And I enjoyed playing my guitar with my Blue Chip pick.

And then I misplaced my $50 pick.

About this same time I got bit by the mandolin bug again. Without my Blue Chip pick I was left to resort to my Primetone 1.5 Large Triangles.

Well today I was moving my practice amp and I found my Blue Chip pick. I just played my first practice session on my mandolin with it.

Very much UNLIKE with my guitar, when the difference in tone between my Blue Chip and my other picks is nearly undetectable, playing my my mandolin with my Blue Chip pick is like night and day compared to my Primetone. I like the tone SO MUCH BETTER.

Chris Thile is right, the $50 picks just sound better.
    Eastman MD-514 (F body, Sitka & maple, oval hole)
    Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

And still saving my nickels & dimes & bottle caps & breakfast cereal box tops for my lifetime mandolin.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dan in NH For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Just tried a Blue Chip pick on my mandolin

Well, not ALL $50 picks sound better. But some of them do, and I would count Blue Chip picks among those. Likewise, not all $50 bottles of wine taste better, either...

Hear! Hear! I agree. After scoffing about the crazy amount of money to spend on a pick I finally decided to give it a try and have been using the blue chips ever since.

Billy

Ps, while I love red wine I’ve never spent 50 bucks on a bottle. I have no idea what I’m really missing.
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Gibson F4 Hybrid #1, D. Harvey 2009
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Numerous wonderful guitars

5. The following members say thank you to Billy Packard for this post:

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Packard View Post
    Hear! Hear! I agree. After scoffing about the crazy amount of money to spend on a pick I finally decided to give it a try and have been using the blue chips ever since.

Billy

Ps, while I love red wine I’ve never spent 50 bucks on a bottle. I have no idea what I’m really missing.
    I know a guy who worked at the Capitol Grill in Boston, where business people would routinely order $400 bottles of wine and not finish them. So, of course, the staff would.

I asked him if they tasted like $400 worth of wine. He said, "Ohhh, yeah."
    Gibson A-Junior snakehead (Keep on pluckin'!)

7. The following members say thank you to Charlie Bernstein for this post:

I volunteer at an assisted living facility and have been playing music lately with a resident who was a professional mandolin player. I am absolutely amazed at the cheap, nondescript, picks he uses. He has some exquisite mandolins but the picks are the 5 for a buck kind.

I’ve become a believer in cheap picks / quality instruments.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greg Connor For This Useful Post:

I wasn’t aware that the price for BC picks increased to $50. I just checked on their site and TAD60 is still $35. Some of the much thicker ones like a TAD80 costs $50 but IIRC the prices have never gone up for most of the flatpicks since they first came into existence. I do see like dealers like The Music Emporium charge $40 and other dealers might charge more.

They are my go-to picks and I own a few (some bought used) but finally settled on TAD40 for guitar and TP50 for mandolin.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

I was factoring custom engraving & shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Connor View Post
    I volunteer at an assisted living facility and have been playing music lately with a resident who was a professional mandolin player. I am absolutely amazed at the cheap, nondescript, picks he uses. He has some exquisite mandolins but the picks are the 5 for a buck kind.

Greg, thanks for volunteering; very much appreciated, I’m sure. Also, possible at some hospices, helping ease visitors too.

I'll be honest the Blue Chips I have sampled did not do it for me.
    I am curious about Tone Slab, but am reluctant to spend the $45 on something I'm sure to eventually misplace, I do like the Dunlop Prime Tone 1.5,
    they can be clicky though,
    but there is a pile on the washing machine, at least they are clean!
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

Love the bluechip for volume and the fact the pick sticks to my fingers well. I do think the tone out of the E and A strings is thinner than many other boutique picks, but still very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan in NH View Post
    So a while ago I packed away my mandolin to focus on my guitar playing. While doing so, on a lark I spent the money on a Blue Chip pick, a TAD 60. And I enjoyed playing my guitar with my Blue Chip pick.

About this same time I got bit by the mandolin bug again. Without my Blue Chip pick I was left to resort to my Primetone 1.5 Large Triangles.

Well today I was moving my practice amp and I found my Blue Chip pick. I just played my first practice session on my mandolin with it.

Very much UNLIKE with my guitar, when the difference in tone between my Blue Chip and my other picks is nearly undetectable, playing my my mandolin with my Blue Chip pick is like night and day compared to my Primetone. I like the tone SO MUCH BETTER.

Chris Thile is right, the $50 picks just sound better.
    IMHO, Blue Chip is the best in the business
    “Mandolin brands are a guide, not Gospel “
    - Data Nick

Blog Entries

I am absolutely amazed at the cheap, nondescript, picks he uses. He has some exquisite mandolins but the picks are the 5 for a buck kind.

At Monday's jam, a very good picker who has played for decades swapped guitars with a newbie kid who played well - a 50 year old Martin and and a new Fender. I doubt that Fender has ever sounded as good and while the Martin sounded OK it was clear that the incredible right hand of the experienced player made both instruments sound better - and the `cheap' one seemed to hang with the other nice guitars in the room.

17. The following members say thank you to Markus for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by NotACreativeName View Post
    Love the bluechip for volume and the fact the pick sticks to my fingers well. I do think the tone out of the E and A strings is thinner than many other boutique picks, but still very good.
    I have two CT55 blue chips - i.e. 6 corners in total. One corner in particular sounds better than all the rest (and heck, better than any other pick I own). It sounds as if maybe it was not perfectly polished, which results in a fuller tone. The other 5 corners sound a bit thinner, particularly on the A and E strings.

I think that one corner is an anomaly. I've thought about taking some sand paper to another tip in an effort to try to replicate it, but I haven't attempted that... yet.

The reality is this: assuming the mandolin is well made and well set up the quality of the build and the accessories we choose matter more to the player than the audience. Most could care less if it it a Kentucky or a Gilchrist or a Fender pick or a Blue Chip. But we as players do hear and feel the differences and that is important
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

I have two CT55 blue chips - i.e. 6 corners in total. One corner in particular sounds better than all the rest (and heck, better than any other pick I own). It sounds as if maybe it was not perfectly polished, which results in a fuller tone. The other 5 corners sound a bit thinner, particularly on the A and E strings.

I think that one corner is an anomaly. I've thought about taking some sand paper to another tip in an effort to try to replicate it, but I haven't attempted that... yet.

Yeah, I'm going to order another at some point without the speed bevel and hope it helps that, because I love the grip of them.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

I’ve become a believer in professional mandolin players.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    I’ve become a believer in professional mandolin players.
    There are a couple of comments above regarding my experience with my new friend. I am definitely the beneficiary when it comes to my friend’s mandolin playing. Cheap picks and and a few other age related issues . . . He still blows me away. For some reason my guitar accompaniment even sounds better when he’s playing.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greg Connor For This Useful Post:

i love my Bluechip picks. TAD-1R is the shape and size i've really found works for me.

d

Yes, agree. I typically use a Blue Chip pick, but it is so much fun to get out some of the old cheapos. I tried a Wingo 0.71 mm and was actually quite amazed at the tone.

Will switch between a BC 40, Wegen and a tortex .88 on the Brentrup. Depending on who I'm playing with and how much treble I want to hear. Most of the time my bandmates don't hear a difference.

Most of my personal mandolin heroes play with cheap picks. Often Dunlop nylon heavy or other medium or heavy picks. Most don't even care what the pick is.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

28. The following members say thank you to Eric Platt for this post:

Well, IF you can hear the difference between one corner of a pick and another -- I'll just say that you are blessed with amazing hearing -- I certainly cannot hear such differences with my ears. My picks sound like picks.

I will agree with the wine statement. I'm not a connoisseur by any means, but I did share a bottle of $300 wine once and YES, even to an amateur, it tasted a million times better than a $3.99 bottle.

We can justify a $50 pick purchase easy enough -- dinner for two at Olive Garden is $50 bucks with the tax and tip, for example...

Tank of gasoline is......well, you get the idea...

As I've stated before on this forum, when picks get to be $100 each I'm going to retire from brain surgery and get into the pick business!

(looks like we are almost there)

31. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    As I've stated before on this forum, when picks get to be $100 each I'm going to retire from brain surgery and get into the pick business!

(looks like we are almost there)
    I seems from what I see from the reasoning/thought processes that people exhibit today, brain surgery might actually be the easier of the two trades.
    2023 Northfield Big Mon
    2022 Hinde Heritage MF-71
    2020 Tyler White #23
    2007 Lafferty Deluxe NF5 built by Audey Ratliff
    2005 Heiden Artist F
    2003 Gibson Adam Steffey #41
    2001 Apitius Grand Classic

Quote Originally Posted by Dan in NH View Post
    We were at a gig last year and when I opened the case, no BC pick! I was freaking out a little bit, when a buddy spoke some calming words to me, "nobody in the audience is going to give a **** that you don't have your BC pick, just go with what you have." I ended up using a Dawg pick, tremolo was a tad clunky but the gig went fine. I do prefer the BC to anything else I've tried, but stick to the practice of tucking it in the strings and in the case when I'm not playing!
    Mike Bloder
    Hogan F-5
    Northfield NF-F5S

Once I found D'Andrea Plec 1.5mm picks, my pick hunt ended. I tried a buddy's Blue Chip, and it didn't really do it for me. And usually, I like the expensive stuff.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PRO-351.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	127.3 KB 
ID:	203058
    Roger

1920 Martin Style A
    1924 Gibson A2Z "Snakehead"
    Don MacRostie designed Stuart MacDonald A-style kit I built myself.
    2022 Kentucky KM-1000B
    Plus guitars - lots of guitars
    Two banjos, a fiddle, and a tiple