Thread: my eastman G string sounds dull?

Default my eastman G string sounds dull?

new to posting on the forum and beginner too. Recently had new strings set up on my 305 eastman mandolin. It was sounding pretty good to me other than the 2 G strings, sounded dull. Even after the new stings Dadario EJ74 still has the same dull G string sound. Innotation is right on too. Any ideas? Thank you for any info.

Default Re: my eastman G string sounds dull?

Round up the usual suspects, bridge slots and nut slots. A close inspection of the angle the slots are cut, and the slot width can possibly reveal a difference as compared to the other slots. Just a suggestion but a start to finding the problem.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hudmister For This Useful Post:

Hudmister correct, but in case you need this expanded a little:
    The part of the string that is playing needs to be touching only a very small point at the nearest edges of the bridge and the nut. The slots have to slope (downwards) at both ends so that the string bears only on those two points. It’s amazing how this can change the sound so much. However, it’s hard to see how the contacts are by eye, and a sloppy installation deepening the slots can easily ruin things. Read frets.com on how to setup.
    Of course, that’s an obvious first step, and hopefully the mandolin itself isn’t at fault. Some of them just sound dull for many reasons, weak in one range, etc. They all have different voices.

5. The following members say thank you to Richard500 for this post:

If your strings are not pinching in the slots I would suspect the fit of the bridge foot. It may not be fit as well on the bass side. I have also helped the G stings by lowering the mass of the bridge, like making it slightly thinner. Usually I make a new saddle instead of modifying the original, but making it lighter, not necessarily shorter, as that can impact strength. The mandolin top can change from the pressure from when it was new, and even it the bridge was fit when it was new, it may not be a perfect fit a year later.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

7. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

thank you for the information. Being new im going to try to find somewhere to have it looked at. Not sure if im capable of modifying it myself.

Bring it back to the person that set it up with new strings.
    2021 The Loar LM700 VS

10. The following members say thank you to J Mangio for this post:

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrewCfromSC View Post
    new to posting on the forum and beginner too. Recently had new strings set up on my 305 eastman mandolin. It was sounding pretty good to me other than the 2 G strings, sounded dull. Even after the new stings Dadario EJ74 still has the same dull G string sound. Innotation is right on too. Any ideas? Thank you for any info.
    The dangerous answer is that you might have good ears. I’ve often felt that the quality of tone on the G course is one of the most noticeable differences between even a good entry level mandolin and its intermediate and professional level counterparts.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

12. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post: