Thread: L & H Leland Brilliantone

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Default Re: L & H Leland Brilliantone

Thanks, Nick.

I posted this one, with some commentary of course, over on the "Flatbacks of Note" thread a couple weeks ago.

It's an interesting mandolin as varies from the numerous Leland Brilliantone's we've seen and discussed here.

I'll admit I have six of them, one with a Wurlitzer label, which show up from time to time.

I also admit to being the Doubting Thomas and do not believe these were made by the Larsons, but rather Vega.

But I don't want to open that can of worms again here.

This has been on ebay for awhile, seems like seller has added some more photos..

Is this one newer? Older than the classic Lelands?
    An outlier jobbed from another source?

The label on this one looks the same as on the standard L+H Leland label.

Could be a version with different specs: headstock, scratchplate, though the body shape doesn't resemble other Lelands, but that's a hard read from the photos. I might be wrong about that.

The bridge location on Lelands, and all of mine, is clearly South of the top cant, in the Vega manner.

The 'bridge shadow' on this one appears to be North of the cant, but the photo isn't clear...and that's not much of a cant, more of a roll.

The seller has it dated 1910 which is interesting since I don't see a date on the label, nor do any of mine have a date on them. There's a written note with the date, perhaps from an earlier owner.

An interesting mandolin.

At least to me. I think the Vega Lelands are pretty fantastic mandolins.

Why did I buy six of them? Or maybe it's seven.

They were under the radar for awhile and I couldn't believe how good they sound.

So I bought another to see. And then another. And another.

They all sound very very good, a few sound outstanding. Crisp highs, good balance, dense lows. Delightful tremolo.

The Wurlitzer labeled Leland I have has a mahogany back which to my ear muddies the great tone a bit.

I was at a workshop with Carlo Aonzo and we swapped mandos for awhile. He didn't want to give the Leland back. Joked that he'd swap his Pandini for it. Ha!

The neck on this appears un poco sketchioso to take a $5C flyer. As if I need another.

My hunch is that this will hang around awhile and we'll see it again offered with a lower price.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

3. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

NickR