Thread: Calton/Hoffee Cases

Default Calton/Hoffee Cases

All,

I'm looking to buy a Hoffee or Calton for a mando I just picked up. Not looking to stir up any of the past "which is better" threads. To me, they are both going to surpass what I need. The only plus to me for Hoffee is that if I can get one with thinsulate, might be worth it.

I'm hoping to use forum members for legwork...do you know anyone or have you seen a used one for sale? The mando that will be going in is a Kentucky KM-DAWG with a tone-gard. I just checked the fit in an Airloom Tura case, and the fit is spot on, so guessing an F5 Hoffee or Calton that will accept an instrument with a tone-gard would work.

Thanks in advance. Moderators, if posts like this aren't allowed, let me know and I'll pull it.
    2023 Northfield Big Mon
    2022 Hinde Heritage MF-71
    2020 Tyler White #23
    2007 Lafferty Deluxe NF5 built by Audey Ratliff
    2005 Heiden Artist F
    2003 Gibson Adam Steffey #41
    2001 Apitius Grand Classic

Default Re: Calton/Hoffee Cases

I don't know if your post breaks any rule(s) but there is a Wanted section in the Classifieds. There are likely folks posting and looking over there that never visit the forum, so you probably should post there, and include details.
    2018 Kentucky KM-950, 2017 Ellis A5 Deluxe

The wait time on a new Carlton is rumored to be 4 months
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Keith, I'll definitely post over there, thanks!
    2023 Northfield Big Mon
    2020 Tyler White #23
    2005 Heiden Artist F

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    The wait time on a new Carlton is rumored to be 4 months
    The time/wait isn't a huge issue for me...which is one of the reason I don't mind waiting for something used to pop up, either. I have the Airloom case that works well if I need to transport either instrument, and my F5 style fits in a Travelite if I have to travel with both. I'm not averse to waiting for the Northfield to restock the Airloom, but unsure of the ETA, and figured I'd keep my eyes open in the meantime.
    2023 Northfield Big Mon
    2020 Tyler White #23
    2005 Heiden Artist F

There is one used Calton in the classifieds. There are two others on Reverb. Haven't seen any used Hoffee.

Have a Hoffee and am quite satisfied. Lighter than Calton and it fits my Brentrup with the high bridge perfectly. Mine does not have Thinsulate.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

I have a Tura and would highly recommend it

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Platt View Post
    There is one used Calton in the classifieds. There are two others on Reverb. Haven't seen any used Hoffee.

Have a Hoffee and am quite satisfied. Lighter than Calton and it fits my Brentrup with the high bridge perfectly. Mine does not have Thinsulate.
    Eric, thanks. I hadn't seen the Calton in the classified, but had seen the two on Reverb. I was actually contacted from a WTB ad I placed in the classified section, and it looks like I have found a Hoffee. Looking forward to seeing if it fits properly.
    2023 Northfield Big Mon
    2020 Tyler White #23
    2005 Heiden Artist F

9. The following members say thank you to Tjspahr1 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Albert View Post
    I have a Tura and would highly recommend it
    Jason,

I have one as well for my other mandolin, and agree, would recommend it. The only downside is that Northfield is waiting for stock. Like I told Eric, I was fortunate enough to find a Hoffee locally. If I pick it up, I'll be able to compare both cases side by side.
    2023 Northfield Big Mon
    2020 Tyler White #23
    2005 Heiden Artist F

All,

Thanks for all the input, especially to keith.rogers for the info on the Wanted section in the classifieds that I'd missed. I had several people reach out, and found a Hoffee case within driving distance. Great community, and have already sent Mandolin Cafe a donation as it wouldn't have been possible without their Classifieds.
    2023 Northfield Big Mon
    2020 Tyler White #23
    2005 Heiden Artist F

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tjspahr1 For This Useful Post:

To tag onto this thread, I'm curious why upper tier case manufacturers don't automatically use a closed cell foam on a $1000 case? It couldn't cost that much more than open cell foam. Protecting instruments from rapid temperature shifts and from periods of time where the ambient temperature gets high seems like a no-brainer to me. Closed cell foam is also much more durable and resists getting permanently deformed after long time use. Rant over.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Roy View Post
    To tag onto this thread, I'm curious why upper tier case manufacturers don't automatically use a closed cell foam on a $1000 case? It couldn't cost that much more than open cell foam. Protecting instruments from rapid temperature shifts and from periods of time where the ambient temperature gets high seems like a no-brainer to me. Closed cell foam is also much more durable and resists getting permanently deformed after long time use. Rant over.
    Rob Roy,

Interesting concept. I would think closed cell foam could be used with some type off "cover" internally for the lining of the case that would allow it to form to the instrument. Not sure what R value an inch of closed-cell foam would provide, but intriguing.
    2023 Northfield Big Mon
    2020 Tyler White #23
    2005 Heiden Artist F