Thread: NMD Part Deux: 1989 Kentucky KM-DAWG

Default NMD Part Deux: 1989 Kentucky KM-DAWG

I recently bought a 1997 Triggs, that was a great instrument, but couldn't get around the extended fingerboard and resulting "pick clicks". Luckily I was able to return it.

I had seen the KM-DAWG listed at Fidler's Green for a while. I was really intrigued, but didn't want to spend that much on an instrument. At the time I returned the Triggs, I saw the price on the DAWG had dropped. I reached out and Ben gave me tons of info, even down to send several additional pictures. As a bonus, this instrument is one of the few DAWGs I've seen with a scooped fingerboard extension...no pick clicks!

The instrument arrived today, and honestly is better than Ben represented. Tonally, it's very different from my Ratliff, which I really like. It is almost bell-like, and plays wonderfully. Ben didn't want to say for sure that it was built by Eiichi Sumi, but my understanding is that anything built after 1987 was entirely his work.

I'll post pics soon. Huge shout out to Ben for all the work and truly great customer service.
    2023 Northfield Big Mon
    2022 Hinde Heritage MF-71
    2020 Tyler White #23
    2007 Lafferty Deluxe NF5 built by Audey Ratliff
    2005 Heiden Artist F
    2003 Gibson Adam Steffey #41
    2001 Apitius Grand Classic

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tjspahr1 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: NMD Part Deux: 1989 Kentucky KM-DAWG

I played that mandolin several times while it was at Fiddler's Green!! It was a real standout, tone-wise. Ben mentioned that David Grisman had them model the acoustics on Monteleone mandolins. Having played a Monteleone before (also at FG), they were both super sweet-sounding, clear and melodious. I am not convinced either one was better than the other, just different. Either way, it's one of the best sounding mandolins I've ever played.

Congratulations on the new instrument!
    1913 Gibson F2 (Blacktop)
    2022 Big Muddy Mandola (M-16, Ziricote back and sides, Adirondack top)
    2022 Kentucky KM-120 (Elevated fretboard conversion)
    1940s Kay Banjolin
    1930s Martin Style 0 Ukulele
    1920s Vega Senator Plectrum Banjo (GDAE octave mando tuning)

Quote Originally Posted by webber View Post
    I played that mandolin several times while it was at Fiddler's Green!! It was a real standout, tone-wise. Ben mentioned that David Grisman had them model the acoustics on Monteleone mandolins. Having played a Monteleone before (also at FG), they were both super sweet-sounding, clear and melodious. I am not convinced either one was better than the other, just different. Either way, it's one of the best sounding mandolins I've ever played.

Congratulations on the new instrument!
    Webber, thanks.

I actually commented to Ben that I have no idea how the instrument lasted as long at the shop as it did. I literally had to put it back in the case to write this reply. I'm fortunate I was able to buy the instrument on somewhat of a whim. It's truly a wonderful instrument and I'm lucky to have it. I don't know that I really comprehend what a great instrument it is yet.

Some of the lore I've read is that John Monteleone actually worked with the Tahara group in some capacity as they were developing the instrument. Worst case scenario, cool story!
    2023 Northfield Big Mon
    2022 Hinde Heritage MF-71
    2020 Tyler White #23
    2007 Lafferty Deluxe NF5 built by Audey Ratliff
    2005 Heiden Artist F
    2003 Gibson Adam Steffey #41
    2001 Apitius Grand Classic

Quote Originally Posted by Tjspahr1 View Post
    Webber, thanks.

I actually commented to Ben that I have no idea how the instrument lasted as long at the shop as it did. I literally had to put it back in the case to write this reply. I'm fortunate I was able to buy the instrument on somewhat of a whim. It's truly a wonderful instrument and I'm lucky to have it. I don't know that I really comprehend what a great instrument it is yet.

Some of the lore I've read is that John Monteleone actually worked with the Tahara group in some capacity as they were developing the instrument. Worst case scenario, cool story!
    I've also heard that John Monteleone worked directly with the team that designed the KM-DAWG, although there's no way to know for sure short of getting in touch with the man himself. I would've bought the KM-DAWG if I hadn't needed to save money for my move out to Colorado! It's really, really special. There were only ever 48 built! I'm glad it wound up in the hands of someone who appreciates it as much as you do. Post some photos and videos once you're able!
    1913 Gibson F2 (Blacktop)
    2022 Big Muddy Mandola (M-16, Ziricote back and sides, Adirondack top)
    2022 Kentucky KM-120 (Elevated fretboard conversion)
    1940s Kay Banjolin
    1930s Martin Style 0 Ukulele
    1920s Vega Senator Plectrum Banjo (GDAE octave mando tuning)

Congratulations!