Thread: Side bending

Default Side bending

Hi.
    After getting a quick and welcome response to my question yesterday I have ordered the G McD Bouzouki Book.
    In the meantime, I am wondering how many of you bend your sides using a pipe and who uses a blanket and steel slats, which I have from guitar building.
    Do you use an external or internal mold for a CBOM instrument, or is it again a matter of choice?
    Thanks
    There are a few days at least fill the book arrives and I’m off work ill so trying to get my head around what I have in store

Default Re: Side bending

I bend on a hot pipe and I use outside molds.

(I don't generally make standard models. The 6 most resent instruments I've built are of 5 different shapes.)

I used an outside mold, and use a pipe to bend the sides. When you get his book take care to notice he has both 4 and 5 course plans.
    Bob Schmidt

Blog Entries

I used an inside mold for the four mandolins I've built. My pipe is 2 1/2 in diameter with a heating cartridge, light dimmer and stuffed with aluminum foil. Search the archives for excellent advice on bending.

For years, I used a hot pipe heated by a propane torch. While this worked well enough, my pipe would have an uneven heating surface with hot spots where the flame was closest and cooler away from the flame. This unevenness can actually be a plus depending on the temperature you're trying to achieve on the given piece of wood. I prefer to have an evenly heated surface and bit the bullet and bought an Ibex electric bending iron from Stew Mac with the smaller diameter chunk of aluminum on top. After several years of use, I have been pleased with this iron. The electric model does take awhile to heat to a usable temperature. A propane pipe will heat very quickly. The Ibex electric iron has served me well for both guitars and mandolins.

I use outside moulds. I also prefer "mould" as opposed to "mold". In the south, we try to avoid mold and mildew. I use clamps around the mould to set the hot bent sides and glue the blocks. It also has screw inserts around the perimeter that allow me to use 1/4-20 furniture bolts to fasten sliding cleats. These cleats allow me to quickly fasten the top and back with hot hide glue.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1497.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	637.2 KB 
ID:	203062
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1598.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	442.6 KB 
ID:	203063
    Last edited by bpatrick; Sep-04-2022 at 10:37pm. Reason: Additional info
    Bryan Patrick

Thanks all for your responses

- - - Updated - - -

Bob, thanks for the heads up. I imagine I’ll end up taking so much care as to make them both!

Bryan.
    Yes, I also tended to use mould rather than mold until I noticed how many more Google hits I got using ‘mold’ when researching over the years, particularly from the US side of the pond.
    My understanding is that ‘mold’ is interchangeable and can correctly be used for either definition, yet ‘mould’ is only for a shape/form and not unwelcome fungal activity.

I love that use of furniture bolts and cleats though, very inventive, and not something I’ve seen before.
    Thanks