Thread: "A" strings don't stay tuned

Default "A" strings don't stay tuned

I have a 2019 Big Mon. One of the things I most enjoyed about it for a long time after its purchase was how stable the tuning stayed during a gig. It seemed with a reasonably new set of strings, the instrument would stay pretty close to pitch, regardless of how hard I played.

Fast forward three years and it seems the "A" string set just doesn't stay on pitch. Old strings, new strings - doesn't matter. After every song, I have to bring one or both back to pitch - sometimes during a song.

The instrument was just set up again, but I hadn't thought to tell the luthier who handled the work about that issue. There are talented people here. Any suggestions as to what could be the cause so I can start working through them? It really is frustrating to have moved from a great situation where the pitch stayed within a narrow range, to one where now the pitch can go significantly flat during the course of a song.

Appreciate any and all suggestions...
    Russ
    Make America Grateful Again!

2013 Collings MF, 2017 Northfield NF2S, 2019 Northfield Big Mon F
    1968 Martin D12-20, 2008 Martin HD28, 2022 Martin CEO 7
    1978 Ibanez Artist "Flying Eagle" Masterclone Banjo

Default Re: "A" strings don't stay tuned

If the other strings are stable, I would suspect the nut, or the saddle slots for the A strings have worn and are now causing the strings to bind.

3. The following members say thank you to sliebers for this post:

If the strings are going flat it isn't the nut. It could be the winding slipping on the string, sometimes it is not as secure as it should be. Are the loops getting smaller than the E strings? It could be the tuners, check all screws to see that they are tight on the tuners. Could also be a bad set of A strings. How are the slots in the bridge saddle, are they worn and binding the string, that could make it go flat while playing. A strings are notorious for being the worst string to stay in tune.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

5. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Have you changed the kind or gauge of strings you are using?

I have a very stock '19 F5S and it also has amazing tuning stability. When I got it, used, it had been shipped from Maine in December to Texas, and it was pretty much in tune when I took it out of the case! It does move with our humidity swings, but generally everything stays together, so it's fairly in-tune to itself, even if not A440.

If it's significant, I would wonder about the break points on the bridge and nut, as well as the slots in the latter. Doesn't hurt to check there. And, winding and locking are subjects which have some strongly held opinions, but do you have a few windings on that unwound A string so the break angle at the nut is good, and have you tried a locking ("knot") on the post, if you don't already do that?

Do you have any kind of harmonic suppressor do-dads above the nut or below the bridge? Tried removing those if so?

Obviously, perhaps, just some straw-clutching here, without having it in hand. Let us know if you figure it out.
    2018 Kentucky KM-950, 2017 Ellis A5 Deluxe

7. The following members say thank you to keith.rogers for this post:

Teacher, repair person

Tuning problems can be caused by the way strings are wound around the tuner post.
    The strings should wind down the tuner post in a nice clean coil, without overlapping a previous wind.
    I recommend 6 winds for the A strings.
    There are a couple of ways to "lock" the windings, but someone else will have to provide a picture.

9. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post: