Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finger style mandolin

Default Re: Finger style mandolin

As a long-time guitar finger picker, taking up the mandolin finally got me to start using flatpicks on the guitar. I have messed around with fingerpicking mandolin, but still have to work on how I use my thumb. My normal fingerpicking style is to use thumb and three fingers without embellishments, so, in theory, I should eventually be able to consign one digit per string. Generally when I practice mandolin, I’m still trying to master the art of holding a pick properly, but this discussion makes me want to devote a little effort in fingerpicking, especially with the OM and mandocello. I think the technique might make for some nice accompaniment to a “normally” played mandolin.

If you look at Eva Holbrook version of Cruel Sister she appears to start playing finger style then switch to pick at approx 1.25 where the original version had the sitar.
    I started noodling around with the intro to Lady D'Arbanville using this technique. It sort of works but hard to get any volume.

Another style I never got my head round is Richard Thomson on guitar. He appears to play with both pick and fingers at the same time.
    Not tried this yet.

Blog Entries

Frank Wakefield has sometimes used a technique where he incorporates the ring finger with a finger pick on it. He demonstrated it at a workshop I attended and I have on and off practiced and played with it.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

And lest we forget, Kenny Hall:

Actually, there is no way I can ever forget Kenny Hall. Just impossible.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I loved Kenny Hall and even played with him a bit once time many years ago. Although he definitely played with his fingernail I would not really call it fingerstyle since he only used his one fingernail (I think the index) as a pick. Please correct me if I am wrong about that.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I met a guy at Green Mountain BG&R fest this year who used both pick and fingers and it had a super sweet sound, great affect on the music. He said he grew his fingernails out a bit to do it. I've been wanting to experiment with this for a while.
    Samuel Acus

2021 Duff Two-Point
    2004 Weber Gallatin F5
    2021 Gold Tone 5-String Electric
    1936 (?) Kalamazoo A5
    1940s Regal Guitar

I've experimented with hybrid picking using a thumb pick and fingers with mixed results thus far. I can't grow out my fingernails though or I'll chew 'em
    2020 Northfield Big Mon
    2016 Skip Kelley A5
    2011 Weber Gallatin A20
    2021 Northfield Flattop Octave Mandolin
    2019 Pono Flattop Octave
    Richard Beard Celtic Flattop
    And a few electrics