Thread: G Strings on Nearly New Eastman 805V-2022 Model

Smile G Strings on Nearly New Eastman 805V-2022 Model

I purchased the Eastman about a week ago online to have a backup to my Brentrup 21V.
    For the money it seems to be good value. Adirondack spruce, top and varnish finish, good components and fit and finish. For the cost it looks and plays well except I find the G strings to be week and tinny sounding. Of course not fair to expect it to sound like the 19 year old Brentrup but I think the G strings should sound better than they do. Could this be an issue with the bridge or nut or another suggestions? It came with the action set high and I lower the bridge a lot (too low) and raise the bridge to what I think is a compromise between playing and sound/tone except the G strings still don't sound right to me. If there is nothing "wrong" with the Eastman I assume it will improve with time but at nearly 77 that's a commodity I running out of Or are my G stings complaints just an "Eastman thing" and either live with it or sell it? I am spoiled by the Brentrup but I don't think my Eastman expectations are unreasonable. Thanks
    Mike
    Mike McManus

Default Re: G Strings on Nearly New Eastman 805V-2022 Model

If you moved the height of the strings, a lot, then I would set the intonation. If your G strings are not intonating properly they can sound weak.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Blog Entries

As a violin luthier, my guess without seeing the instrument, is that there is little you can do to improve the situation. You might try a different gauge string however.
    Also yes, you are spoiled by your good mandolin.
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

There is a recent thread describing a similar issue with an entry level Eastman:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...27#post1877527
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    If you moved the height of the strings, a lot, then I would set the intonation. If your G strings are not intonating properly they can sound weak.
    I have checked the intonation after resetting the action and it is fine. Thanks
    Mike McManus

Thanks pheffernan, this is useful
    Mike McManus

7. The following members say thank you to Bowzette for this post:

In response to DougC's post-which was my real concern. You get what you pay for!
    Mike McManus

9. The following members say thank you to Bowzette for this post:

DougC 

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Strings are cheap. Try a heavier gauge G, maybe several. Or lighter. Because, ya know, strings are cheap. In the long run (even if you don't fix the problem), the up-close-and-personal experience & education are worth WAY more than a handuful of strings, and cost FAR LESS than trading for a different instrument.
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by EdHanrahan View Post
    Strings are cheap. Try a heavier gauge G, maybe several. Or lighter. Because, ya know, strings are cheap. In the long run (even if you don't fix the problem), the up-close-and-personal experience & education are worth WAY more than a handuful of strings, and cost FAR LESS than trading for a different instrument.
    Makes a lot of sense Ed. Thanks
    Mike
    Mike McManus

You’ve said you lowered the action. When you received it and the action was high how did they sound? I ask because there is a height at which a string will not yet buzz but it loses fullness and can sound weak and thin. If you’ve not tried raising it again you might do so. If that’s not the issue then a thorough set up checking the nut and bridge as the other responders recommended could fix you right up. It could be the nut is cut a tad lower than needed for that string. This would make the others sound fine but not the G.

I have all my mandolins set very low with a very low action, they sound strong and solid, not tinny. I don't think setting a low action with most any adjustable bridge is going to hurt your sound. Fitting the bridge foot to the top better may also help.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Teacher, repair person

Something that hasn't been mentioned-- try a couple of different kinds of picks on the Eastman.
    Not every instrument reacts the same, and sometimes a different piece of plastic can make a big difference.

And yes, try some different G strings-- try 80/20, nickel, phosphor in gauges from 38 to 40 or 41.
    The setup that fits one mandolin may not fit a different one.

There’s always running the mandolin on a gas with a lower speed of sound, like CO2, or SF6 if it’s handy.

My 1-1/2 year old MD615 (spruce but not addi) has no issues with the G. It was set-up by The Mandolin Store on purchase, and I am using a D'Addario XT PB 11.5 (G being a 40) string set. I am actually surprised and impressed by the volume and sustain on this mandolin, G being the loudest and longest.

Blog Entries

Did you get it new or used? Has it had a set up and had the slots inspected at nut and bridge? Are the strings dead (granted, in my experience it isn't the G strings that die first). Of course, I'm neither an experienced set up tech, luthier, or even accomplished player but, on my Eastman, the G strings sounded fine (certainly balanced with the other courses).

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Update (drum roll please)

After I changed the microphones in my hearing aids last night, the G strings sounded much better I will raise the bridge a bit. I raised it yesterday but I think it needs just a bit more height. Don't know why the clogged mics on the aids would only distort the G string frequency and not the other strings but it did! Next time someone complains about the tone find out how old they are and if the wear hearing aids. If so, have them check whether the aids need attention I am spoiled with the Brentrup but for the money and as a second mandolin I am pleased with the Eastman. Thanks for all the comments and advise.
    Mike
    Mike McManus

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bowzette For This Useful Post:

M19webber