Thread: Planer upgrade: LuxCut III Replacement Helical Spiral Cutter Head

Default Planer upgrade: LuxCut III Replacement Helical Spiral Cutter Head

The title pretty much says it all. Spent the weekend changing over. Worth the time and the money! Love it.

Default Re: Planer upgrade: LuxCut III Replacement Helical Spiral Cutter

Here's my old Crescent 12" jointer. I can get a spiral cutter head for it, and I'd like to have one but I don't. Why? Because if would cost well over twice what I paid for the jointer! Although setting up a spiral cutter head is easier and using it feels smoother and seems to require less power because of the more continuous cutting action, surface quality is about the same with my 4 knife cutter head, so I'll just have to stick with what I have.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jointer1.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	203096

I put a Shelix helical head in my 6" Jet years ago and have not looked back. That model Jet was way to fiddly to set the knives after sharpening. The Helical cuts so smooth.

One of the compromises of tabletop planers is fixed feed rate. They are not designed for short lumber or fine results, so are often improved by user-made tables. A spiral head is an improvement, but variable feed involves some alterations, and my generic 12” version is not intended for modification or even repair. These are throwaway tools. A jointer, on the other hand has feed rate and pressure by hand, and adjustable tables, so usable for more purposes. My antique Delta only has two knives, and setup, sharpening is really easy.
    The 1880s 15” non-portable planer/thicknesser I have was designed to run a lot of boards, really quickly, so After replacing the main drive, which was gas, and probably once steam, with an electric motor, removed the leather belt feed for the roller and attached a large dc gearmotor and control, just because. Never really had a good use for it, so it’s the tool version of a wall-hanger. Some of us do like cast iron.