4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Buy It!

4 100.00%
  • Don't, Too Risky!

0 0%

Thread: Solid Wood Acoustic Environment/Storage

Default Solid Wood Acoustic Environment/Storage

Hello! First post...

I am considering the purchase of an all solid wood acoustic mandolin and believe I may have run into a considerable problem. My question regards the environment in which this instrument may be stored without damage.

The temperature in my home varies quite a bit (I live in TN). I have a propane gas wall unit for heat and a window air conditioning unit for summer. Sometimes these are left off when no one is at home and the temperature in winter could reach close to freezing and in the 90s (F) during summer.

Should I scrap the idea of a solid wood acoustic mandolin for these reasons? I play/own other instruments (solid wood electric guitars and acoustic laminates, which appear to do fine).

This would be my first mandolin and I don't want to purchase one that I may knowingly wind up damaging. I'm assuming I can control humidity with an in-case humidifier/dehumidifier, but the temperature thing is bothering me.

Would this purchase be a mistake?

Thank you, in advance, for any/all responses!

Question Re: Solid Wood Acoustic Environment/Storage

There have been many discussions on relative humidity and temperature issues, in the past .

Note: the search function box in upper right corner, and the Archive link in bottom of page, this website offers..

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Default Re: Solid Wood Acoustic Environment/Storage

You want to avoid dramatic shifts in temperature, so take steps that mitigate them (keep the instrument cased, etc.).
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Unless the temperature goes from freezing to 90 the same day, I wouldn't sweat it. You're not the first mandolin player to live in Tennessee.
    Last edited by jaycat; Sep-06-2022 at 4:18pm.
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jaycat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
    Unless the temperature goes from freezing to 90 the same day, I wouldn't sweat it. You're not the first mandolin player to live in Tennessee.
    Good one, on edit!

The first part you answered is kinda what I was getting at. Most have central heat/air and aren't under my current, semi-rustic, living settings. I will attempt to keep an even temperature, but that won't always be the case.

All (except one) music stores I called reguritated the constant 60-80 F reply. I undertand them doing that in order to give the safest information, but thought I'd try to get more real-life answers from actual owners who are/were dealing with the same circumstances.

I must make a decision on whether or not to buy by tomorrow. I'm leaning towards going for it, at the moment, unless someone makes a good argument against it.

Thanks again for the replies, so far!

I would choose solid or laminated regardless of climate.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    I would choose solid or laminated regardless of climate.
    There's a third choice?!? I'm assuming that was a typo (or/over).

The question is whether or not I risk destroying (cracks/warping) a solid wood acoustic mandolin under the conditions I described.

yep, it should read over....

(20 year old desktop with a sticky keyboard...)

So, I must make a decision on this today...

Is the consensus that, as long as it's in its case when not playing, that there should be no issues? I'm really going back and forth on whether to buy it or not, for this reason alone. Add to that, I am a bit of a worrier...

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Agree with advice received thus far. But want to suggest the purchase of a modest priced but quality instrument that won’t be a huge financial loss if it should get ruined. I. e. a used Eastman 305, Howard Morris, Mid-Missouri, or any number other decent instruments in that price range. Then sleep without worry.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
    Right. It's sudden temperature changes that are bad for instruments.

When the humidity is real low, like 40% or less, I spritz water into the soundhole with a mister once in a while. And I don't store instruments in direct sun.

I can't think of any good reason other than a tight budget for not getting a solid-wood mando. Go for it!
    Gibson A-Junior snakehead (Keep on pluckin'!)

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mandosian View Post
    There's a third choice?!? I'm assuming that was a typo (or/over).

The question is whether or not I risk destroying (cracks/warping) a solid wood acoustic mandolin under the conditions I described.
    Sure, the risk exists. But think of all the other things we do even though a risk exists. Eating butter. Drinking bourbon. Leaving the house without sunscreen. Walking near bees and mosquitos. Lifting things. Swimming. Riding a bike. Driving.

Asking whether there's a risk is not a fair question. Instead, ask:

- Is the risk serious? (No.)

- Is the risk worth it? (You be the judge.)
    Gibson A-Junior snakehead (Keep on pluckin'!)

Since this is your first mandolin perhaps one made with laminated woods is a prudent choice. If your house can get near zero in the winter when you're not home, why worry about temperature damage when you are away. Many laminated mandolins can offer good playability and value.

I have played outdoors in a snow storm in temps in the 30's and played on a river cruise with temps in the 90's and humid. As long as you don't open your case that is below freezing in a 90 degree room you should be fine. It's the sudden changes that can do the most harm. In the old days they tied the acoustic bass to the top of the car. I have played outside when it rained. Get the best instrument you can afford and play it and enjoy it.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

16. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

What always strikes me as amusing when reading these threads (there are legions, use search as someone suggested, you’ll see), is that they usually fail to consider the fact that there is a human history so much longer than just the past two centuries … a human history that included musical instrument ownership under conditions where modern air conditioning did not exist and knowledge of current environmental conditions such as RH and barometric pressure was not widespread. Yet, people owned musical instruments and their instruments often survived them to become heirlooms.

With no disrespect to those who have questions and those who worry about environmental damage … and with no disrespect toward the fact that such damage is a real risk … I just have great difficulty identifying with the virtual handwringing, stress and worry about such things that I see more and more these days.

I truly, from the bottom of my heart, hope that your instruments remain safe, well-preserved, in constant use, and bring you much satisfaction, and pray that you find the answers about how to best care for them, and that you not lose any sleep worrying about what might happen beyond your control in the future.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Though I agree a lot of worry about humidity is overblown, I have had the top seam open up on an acoustic guitar that was stored at my office. The air conditioner [I]might[I] dry out your air but I doubt enough to be a problem. You can get a case humidifier pretty cheap and/or a hygrometer to toss in if you're still worried. As long as you don't leave it in your car in the summer, I think you'll be fine & dandy.
    2020 Northfield Big Mon
    2016 Skip Kelley A5
    2011 Weber Gallatin A20
    2021 Northfield Flattop Octave Mandolin
    2019 Pono Flattop Octave
    Richard Beard Celtic Flattop
    And a few electrics