Thread: 6 course Mandolino under construction

Default 6 course Mandolino under construction

I am working on a 6 course mandolino in curly walnut and Sitka spruce.
    Tuning will be in 4th's rather than 5th's.
    There is a specific instrument called a "mandolino".
    Here is a brief description:

The mandolino
    ese days the word ‘mandolino’ is used
    in Italy to describe any kind of mandolin,
    most often a Neapolitan or Roman variant,
    but 300 years ago the ‘mandolino’ was a
    specific style of small lute which had its own
    repertoire and remained in use for the next
    two centuries, although ‘modernized’ in the
    second half of the 19 century. ese were
    the instrument for which Vivaldi wrote his
    mandolin concertos.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCI0059.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	202.3 KB 
ID:	203107

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tukanu For This Useful Post:

Default Re: 6 course Mandolino under construction

Milanese/Lombardic? Tuned g b e' a' d" g"?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bartl View Post
    Milanese/Lombardic? Tuned g b e' a' d" g"?
    Hi Joe,
    This style goes by many names, however, "Mandolino" is the original name...preceding Milano and Lombardo.
    I ordered a custom set of strings from Boston Catlines. As you know, getting a Brescian up to high E runs the risk of breaking the string. A high G is out of the question. I have read that the high G is sometimes replaced an octave lower.
    Anyway, I decided on dgcead. It is an acceptable tuning for a 6 string lute. The low D will be re-entrant.
    I'll have to wait and see if it is a good choice.
    BTW, Boston Catlines (Chris) offers a set of carbon strings for a Brescian.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tukanu For This Useful Post:

Very cool. Years ago I had a set of real gut made by Daniel Larson for my late 1890 Casini, basically a single course 6 string mandolino meant to be strung as noted above. The top string dub it last but I had Aquila make a nylgut set to be strung as an octave guitar. I am embarrassed to say I have yet to try those after way too many years and other intervening and distracting projects.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Very cool. Years ago I had a set of real gut made by Daniel Larson for my late 1890 Casini, basically a single course 6 string mandolino meant to be strung as noted above. The top string dub it last but I had Aquila make a nylgut set to be strung as an octave guitar. I am embarrassed to say I have yet to try those after way too many years and other intervening and distracting projects.
    Jim,
    What do you think about a "D" tuning?
    I have started the finish and hope to have strings on it by the end of the week:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCI0077.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	295.5 KB 
ID:	203234

I am no expert for tunings on these things. Whatever is accepted requires relearning where the notes are. Does std lute tuning use re-entrant? What tuning(s) do current players of baroque mandolins use these days?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I am no expert for tunings on these things. Whatever is accepted requires relearning where the notes are. Does std lute tuning use re-entrant? What tuning(s) do current players of baroque mandolins use these days?
    I don't much experience here...only what I have read.
    The "G tuning would be considered standard. The long running complaint is string breakage on the high G. So the high G was sometimes dropped an octave.
    An Italian luthier, working on a restoration, dropped the tuning to "F". This also seems quite high.
    https://www.lucassobieranski.com/lombardic-mandolin

My own experience with the Brescian 4 string is breaking many strings with a high "E". So, I opted for "D" which is an acceptable lute tuning:

D' g c' e' a' d"