Thread: Finish Flaking off on Neck

Default Finish Flaking off on Neck

The finish on my mandolin neck is flaking off. It's not a terribly awful feeling but it's my favorite mandolin and it's making this one slightly more uncomfortable to play as I can really feel how rough it's getting. Any quick at hoem remedies? Really fine sand paper an option? Should I take it to a luthier to refinish it?

Kind of hard to see in the pic but look near where your hand would be in the open position

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5854.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	667.8 KB 
ID:	203110
    Arsenal:
    Turkey Creek #63 | Gibson F-5 MSC | Martin D-18 GE | Eastman E20D-tc

Default Re: Finish Flaking off on Neck

I would take all the finish off and make it into a speed neck. It would be very comfortable and you won't to worry about the finish anymore. It will also not be stick if you play in humid conditions.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    I would take all the finish off and make it into a speed neck. It would be very comfortable and you won't to worry about the finish anymore. It will also not be stick if you play in humid conditions.
    This is exactly what I did when the finish started flaking off the neck of my Morris hybrid F4. I used the edge of a Wegen M200 pick to scrape all the clear finish off the neck. Then a few strokes with 0000 steel wool. Then I light coat of tung oil, then wipe that off and hand buff with a cotton t-shirt rag.

All my keeper instruments are speed-necked now.

I did the same with mine. It isn't hard to do a speed neck yourself, but you can also have a repair person do it. There are other threads her on how to. If you do, try and do a neat job. Tape off the ends to make them neat. I used scrapers, some very fine sandpaper, tinted the wood with stain so it didn't look so white, then used just a few coats of tru oil. But as I say, others with more expertise have posted here and elsewhere.
    Cary Fagan

Random note. After doing a little repair, I had the neck covered in blue low-stick painter’s tape, and found I really liked the feel, so have left it in place. Definitely reversible, but very blue.

I took it to a local repair shop/lutherie school to have the neck stripped and 'speednecked."

I will post pics when it's all finished up. Thanks for the recommendations.
    Arsenal:
    Turkey Creek #63 | Gibson F-5 MSC | Martin D-18 GE | Eastman E20D-tc