Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Humidity control, ay ay ay

Resident Hack

Default Re: Humidity control, ay ay ay

Humidity has been the enemy at my last two gigs. Tuning issues have abounded. Hopefully next weekend's outdoor gig will be relatively normal conditions. Mando is just fine (now) though.

As far as winter, I worked with a guy who had a really clever solution. He had a 55 gallon aquarium and all his guitars sat next to it.
    What I play
    2021 Skip Kelley Two-Point
    Eastwood 'Ricky'
    Morgan Monroe RT-1E
    Epiphone Genesis guitars
    Various Basses

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Stein View Post
    Humidity has been the enemy at my last two gigs. Tuning issues have abounded. Hopefully next weekend's outdoor gig will be relatively normal conditions. Mando is just fine (now) though.

As far as winter, I worked with a guy who had a really clever solution. He had a 55 gallon aquarium and all his guitars sat next to it.
    I see you live in Chicago. I live close so the weather is the same. I bought a Frigidaire DeHumidifier for my basement . It’s easily the best one I’ve owned. If that’s an issue for you, I recommend it. Good luck.
    “Mandolin brands are a guide, not Gospel “
    - Data Nick

I have found "Grandpa's 1942 Gibson guitar in the attic" with seven cracks in the top and back and fret ends protruding from the edge of the cupped fretboard. Excessive dryness can cause damage and during the thirty or so years I operated as a guitar repair tech I saw it nearly every day. Humidify as needed...
    too many strings

Quote Originally Posted by musicofanatic View Post
    ... Excessive dryness can cause damage and during the thirty or so years I operated as a guitar repair tech I saw it nearly every day. Humidify as needed...
    So, as a repairman wouldn't you recommend NOT humidifying?!!

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    So, as a repairman wouldn't you recommend NOT humidifying?!!
    Lol, gotta love the cynicism, Jeff
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

6. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

No one has mentioned that the house and how and when it was built is likely a bigger part of the issue versus where you live and what type of humid/dehumidifier you use. Houses historically are not air tight, and if they are air tight they are likely not vapor open. Thus, the building is causing the temp and humidity swings to be dramatic. If the building is not a tight building envelope, there is lots of loss of heat, cool, humidity, wind/draft, and it’s difficult to adjust the indoor environment when it is only mildly separated from the outdoor environment.

Consider if your building would fare well in a more extreme location, like high elevation in the winter, or hot desert sun…
    You house might be built like a (Hoffee, Calton), or perhaps it’s the tennis racquet bag…
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

Like the OP, I live in Maryland. My house is a Victorian Queen Anne built 1900. Air tight? I might as well be living in a tent. It is a large house and so I have a music room with pocket doors. The room is approximately 15' x 15' with ceiling at 9 ½'. I keep the doors closed. In the room are a piano, an organ, 4K LPs with their cardboard sleeves, my mandos, guitars, etc. After years of neglect followed by years of experimenting, I've settled on the following machines. During the summer I use an Emerson Quiet Kool dehumidifier set to 50% humidity (with pump and narrow hose exiting via window) running 24/7:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3018.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	427.2 KB 
ID:	203240

During the winter I use a Sears humidifier:

Name:  Sears.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  9.2 KB

Like the dehumidifier, this is self-regulating and so after experimenting with various combos of fan speed and humidity levels, it now maintains the humidity at about 50%.

This has worked well over the last few years and provided peace of mind regarding the mostly vintage collection of instruments I play. I do not fret over keeping the instruments in or out of their cases.

9. The following members say thank you to Joe Bartl for this post:

Blog Entries

Nice to hear from someone in the area. I think the fact that my apartment is really not airtight may indeed be my biggest issue. I can't really modify things too much because I rent, though maybe I can come up with some kind of non-invasive seal for door and window cracks. I might try compensating with a humidifier and dehumidifier meant for much larger rooms, and if that doesn't work I may just give up on this quest.
    Diego

Eastman MD315
    Kentucky KM505
    JBovier ELS
    ---
    Ivan Dunov VL402 Violin

I stayed busy enough without filing fret ends and repairing cracks...I had important stuff to do like changing customers strings...
    too many strings