Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weber Yellowstone Experts

Default Weber Yellowstone Experts

Need some help from you folks.

Just pulled the trigger on my first F4. Weber Yellowstone, apparently built in 2005.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Weber F4 front.png 
Views:	127 
Size:	468.0 KB 
ID:	203112

Name:	Weber Yellowstone F4 Label.png 
Views:	117 
Size:	140.8 KB 
ID:	203111

If I did this correctly, a photo of the instrument and it's label are imbedded to this post.

I can't seem to find out any information at all about this mandolin other than what I've just stated. The seller didn't have any information.

I emailed TOH and Montana Lutherie but haven't heard anything back from either of them (I don't know who has what records).

Can any of you Weber experts tell me anything about this build? I'd be appreciative.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LKN2MYIS For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Weber Yellowstone Experts

Congratulations! I had my eye on that one. How does it sound?
    " Give me some words I can dance to and a melody that rhymes" - Steve Goodman

Registered User E.R. Villalobos's Avatar

That’s a beautiful instrument- congratulations!
    I have a Weber Big Sky and Bruce Weber / Montana Lutherie was able to confirm the date and details about the materials, fittings and finish. He also described the differences between the Yellowstone and the Big Sky for that year, and even recalled where the wood for the top on mine originally came from. I have a sense that they keep good records on their instruments. Give them time - Bruce will more than happy to discuss your new Weber. Enjoy!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to E.R. Villalobos For This Useful Post:

E. R. - contacted Bruce and TOH. No response yet, I'm sure they are pretty busy.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tjmangum View Post
    Congratulations! I had my eye on that one. How does it sound?
    I went after it because I sold 2 instruments and didn't have an oval hole.

I set my expectations low so I wouldn't be disappointed. It is a GREAT sounding instrument. Not 'tubby', but rather nicely full and rounded. I'm having a lot of fun with it.

7. The following members say thank you to LKN2MYIS for this post:

Blog Entries

Nice one! That era of Webers are - in my opinion - the best of the best of what they built

There’s a formula to the labels. I just can’t quite remember what it is! I do know it includes the day, month, year, and number made that month, with that in mind, I’d say this one was more likely made in May of 2003. The smaller oval hole is an indicator too. Weber reduced the sizes of instrument holes in the early 2000s.

Bruce will help you.

9. The following members say thank you to Kevin Briggs for this post:

Curious as to woods, neck joint, anything else I might be able to find out.

Hmm. 2003? I was told it was 2005 based on the first number in the label. Doesn't matter, I suppose.

Blog Entries

March, 2005. last 2 digits = month. first digit = year-2000 for seven digit s/n's.

I do like it. I trust it has that Weber-y sound with added oval-holiness.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

12. The following members say thank you to HonketyHank for this post:

Kevin is right about the labels having a code, but it goes in a different order. As I understand it, the first one or two digits give the build year, and the last one or two digits give the month. I don't think that Bruce put the day in the code. The rest of the serial number gives the build number, but I think it's the overall number, rather than just for the month, but I'm really not sure.

If I'm partially or completely correct, then your #5230103 Yellowstone was built in March of 2005 (as the seller stated), and was the 2301st Weber mandolin. That number seems high to me, though, since I think Bruce started the company in 1998 or 1999, so I'll leave it to others here to crack that part of the code.
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

14. The following members say thank you to Marcus CA for this post:

To add to what Hank just posted, on the Webers built after 2009, the serial numbers have eight digits, and the first two digits give the year.

16. The following members say thank you to Marcus CA for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by HonketyHank View Post
    March, 2005. last 2 digits = month. first digit = year-2000 for seven digit s/n's.

I do like it. I trust it has that Weber-y sound with added oval-holiness.
    I was afraid it would have been overly 'tubby'.

I'm pleased to state I was wrong in that assumption!

18. The following members say thank you to LKN2MYIS for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus CA View Post

If I'm partially or completely correct, then your #5230103 Yellowstone was built in March of 2005 (as the seller stated), and was the 2301st Weber mandolin. That number seems high to me, though, since I think Bruce started the company in 1998 or 1999, so I'll leave it to others here to crack that part of the code.
    It would be the 2301st F-style mandolin. Those numbers are based on body style, not just sum total of all instruments.
    The others are correct, March 2005. Oval Hole. Would have an ebony board/PH veneer. Looks like the Faded Leather burst (or Antique Walnut, but it's hard to tell from just the front), which would have been a custom order at the time. Should have flame maple back, sides, neck as that was standard Yellowstone appointments.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brett Byers For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Byers View Post
    It would be the 2301st F-style mandolin. Those numbers are based on body style, not just sum total of all instruments.
    The others are correct, March 2005. Oval Hole. Would have an ebony board/PH veneer. Looks like the Faded Leather burst (or Antique Walnut, but it's hard to tell from just the front), which would have been a custom order at the time. Should have flame maple back, sides, neck as that was standard Yellowstone appointments.
    They call the color 'Desert Dawn', if that matters.

So, maybe you experts can help me out:

I have a Weber Yellowstone HT A Mandocello, serial number 1326408. I purchased this in Dec. 2013 and I remember thinking that I was buying a new instrument for the first time. But if what you say about the 1st number of a 7-digit string representing year, this would be 2001, not 2013.

Name:	Weber Yellowstone F4 neck.png 
Views:	47 
Size:	399.6 KB 
ID:	203157Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Weber Yellowstone F4 tuners.png 
Views:	46 
Size:	382.7 KB 
ID:	203158Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Weber Yellowstone F4 headstock.png 
Views:	48 
Size:	476.4 KB 
ID:	203159
    Here are some more photos, if it helps. The shop told me the color was "Desert Dawn". Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Weber Yellowstone F4 back.png 
Views:	62 
Size:	545.4 KB 
ID:	203156

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bartl View Post
    So, maybe you experts can help me out:

I have a Weber Yellowstone HT A Mandocello, serial number 1326408. I purchased this in Dec. 2013 and I remember thinking that I was buying a new instrument for the first time. But if what you say about the 1st number of a 7-digit string representing year, this would be 2001, not 2013.
    August 2013. The 264th A style mandocello made by Weber.

25. The following members say thank you to Brett Byers for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by LKN2MYIS View Post

Name:	Weber Yellowstone F4 neck.png 
Views:	47 
Size:	399.6 KB 
ID:	203157Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Weber Yellowstone F4 tuners.png 
Views:	46 
Size:	382.7 KB 
ID:	203158Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Weber Yellowstone F4 headstock.png 
Views:	48 
Size:	476.4 KB 
ID:	203159
    Here are some more photos, if it helps. The shop told me the color was "Desert Dawn". Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Weber Yellowstone F4 back.png 
Views:	62 
Size:	545.4 KB 
ID:	203156
    Bruce might have specific specs for that serial number that list the color. I’m leaning towards faded leather burst, but I could be wrong. It’s been 17yrs since I finished that mando ��. Desert Dawn tended to be a brighter yellow/orange in the center fading to a deeper orange/red along the edges.

27. The following members say thank you to Brett Byers for this post:

Thanks very much Brett Byers! So the seven digit mandocello number works like the eight digit mandolin number: first two digits = year. I guess this makes sense since the number of cellos compared to the number of mandos would naturally be much smaller and so not require more than 3 spaces in the center of the string. In any case, a wonderful instrument! Thanks, again.

29. The following members say thank you to Joe Bartl for this post:

Bruce might have specific specs for that serial number that list the color. I’m leaning towards faded leather burst, but I could be wrong. It’s been 17yrs since I finished that mando ��. Desert Dawn tended to be a brighter yellow/orange in the center fading to a deeper orange/red along the edges.
    Thanks!

It was listed as a 2005 and the color as Desert Dawn. I have no idea how the store came up with that, probably info from the original owner.

It is a beautiful looking and sounding instrument, I can tell you that.

Just trying to find out a bit more about it.

Curious - I can see how you got the year, but how did you get August as the build date?
    Last edited by LKN2MYIS; Sep-08-2022 at 3:18pm. Reason: (trouble spelling!)

Quote Originally Posted by LKN2MYIS View Post
    Thanks!

It was listed as a 2005 and the color as Desert Dawn. I have no idea how the store came up with that, probably info from the original owner.

It is a beautiful looking and sounding instrument, I can tell you that.

Just trying to find out a bit more about it.

Curious - I can see how you got the year, but how did you get August as the build date?
    August was the build month for the other fella's mandocello. Yours was March. The last two digits of the serial number represent the month. So -03 would be March. In his case it was -08, so August.

August was the build month for the other fella's mandocello. Yours was March. The last two digits of the serial number represent the month. So -03 would be March. In his case it was -08, so August.
    My mistake - I type quicker that I read! THANKS!

33. The following members say thank you to LKN2MYIS for this post:

last time i heard bruce weber was working out of his garage ...my friend sent him a mando to be worked on and said bruce was a great guy and he did some amazing work on the mando .... if you can get a hold of him he will probably oblige you any way he can.

Quote Originally Posted by jherm View Post
    last time i heard bruce weber was working out of his garage ...my friend sent him a mando to be worked on and said bruce was a great guy and he did some amazing work on the mando .... if you can get a hold of him he will probably oblige you any way he can.
    I met Bruce at his shop in Big Fork last year, and he was in the process of building a new workshop in an adjacent outbuilding. I was having him do some work on my Yellowstone F OM, and yes, he's a great guy to talk with. Definitely the guy to work with if you have a Weber that needs some TLC. He did a beautiful job with a re-fret and setup on my OM.

Weber's oval hole mandolins are killer good. Enjoy! We have two at our house, different models but both sound great.

37. The following members say thank you to Bob Buckingham for this post:

Those numbers are based on body style, not just sum total of all instruments.
    My tremendous 2004 Gallatin F mandocello's serial number is 402811. Just six digits.

So, am I correct in interpreting that to mean that the instrument was built in November 2004 (as I've always thought), and that it's only the 28th F-style mandocello altogether that Bruce built? I had always thought it was the 28th Gallatin F mandocello to be built.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus CA View Post
    My tremendous 2004 Gallatin F mandocello's serial number is 402811. Just six digits.

So, am I correct in interpreting that to mean that the instrument was built in November 2004 (as I've always thought), and that it's only the 28th F-style mandocello altogether that Bruce built? I had always thought it was the 28th Gallatin F mandocello to be built.
    Your interpretation is correct. 11/2004, 28th F-style 'cello.

40. The following members say thank you to Brett Byers for this post: