Thread: Collings MT with tone-gard case?

Default Collings MT with tone-gard case?

Good evening everyone.
    I have a Collings MT with a Tone-Gard. The Collings TKL case isn't deep enough and puts more pressure than I'm comfortable with on the bridge. I have Calton case that works great, but I'd like something a bit easier to carry around when I'm close to home.
    I ordered a Crossrock fiberglass case and it was a terribly sloppy fit.
    Anyone use a Superior fiberglass A model with this setup? I'd really prefer something that isn't black (for aesthetic and practical reasons). I have a Bobelock arrow for another mandolin, and while it fits, I'm not a fan of its extended length. And while the Travelite works, I want a case with latches...not full length zippers.
    I feel a bit princess and the pea...but that's the issue.
    thanks

TLDR: Does a Collings MT with a Tone Gard fit into the Superior fiberglass A case?
    Last edited by nultylynch; Sep-07-2022 at 7:24pm.
    Collings MF (2004)
    Collings MT Gloss-Top Wide Neck (2015)
    Breedlove American OO (2013)
    Martin 000-18 (2016)
    Guild D-35 (1976)
    Paramount Style A (1927)
    Vega Little Wonder (1916)
    Ibanez AVT1NT (2019)

Default Re: Collings MT with tone-gard case?

It might work.

I have a Northfield A and a Pava A and both fit pretty easily with a tone-gard on in the Superior case. On the Collings site, the MT body is 1 13/16" deep. The Pava is 1 3/4" deep and the Northfield is unknown but must be very very close. I'm not sure if that 1/16" difference between the Pava and MT would matter, but I bet bridge height may make more of a difference.

So a non-conclusive, but nonetheless hopeful, answer!
    It's not that life is short, but that we waste so much of it.

--Seneca (paraphrased)

Maybe a used [Northfield] Airloom Recurve that someone has upgraded from? They're cut out for an F but they are the one they ship with their A model, too. It's a good case, but the latches and closure is not as precise as I'd like for their current $275 price tag, though, admittedly, there's not much competition. Both of my mandolins fit with their tone-gard in that case. (And, don't feel nearly as squashed as the Travelite feels - I don't put them in that with the tone-gard!
    2018 Kentucky KM-950, 2017 Ellis A5 Deluxe

Quote Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
    Maybe a used [Northfield] Airloom Recurve that someone has upgraded from? They're cut out for an F but they are the one they ship with their A model, too. It's a good case, but the latches and closure is not as precise as I'd like for their current $275 price tag, though, admittedly, there's not much competition. Both of my mandolins fit with their tone-gard in that case. (And, don't feel nearly as squashed as the Travelite feels - I don't put them in that with the tone-gard!
    There's a Recurve in the classifieds now; here's the link: https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/192320#192320

They would also be more expensive, but the Airloom Tura will fit a tone-gard, but the only color other than black is seafoam green. You might also find a used Hoffee, and it as well would probably fit a tone-gard.
    2023 Northfield Big Mon
    2022 Hinde Heritage MF-71
    2020 Tyler White #23
    2007 Lafferty Deluxe NF5 built by Audey Ratliff
    2005 Heiden Artist F
    2003 Gibson Adam Steffey #41
    2001 Apitius Grand Classic

Quote Originally Posted by Tjspahr1 View Post
    There's a Recurve in the classifieds now; here's the link: https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/192320#192320

They would also be more expensive, but the Airloom Tura will fit a tone-gard, but the only color other than black is seafoam green. You might also find a used Hoffee, and it as well would probably fit a tone-gard.
    A Hoffee would definitely fit with a tone-gard. Have my Brentrup in a Hoffee. not only does it have a tone-gard, but due to the neck angle, the bridge is more than 1/4" taller. The mandolin fits without touching the inside of the lid. (That's the reason I got the Hoffee. Knew it would fit, but wasn't positive a Calton would.)

FWIW, this mandolin also fits in a Northfield Airloom without touching the inside of the lid.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Dredging up this older post because I'd forgotten about it, but wanted to add that Superior A-style case does hold a mandolin with a Tone-Gard, just fine. It fits both my Kentucky (which it should, I suppose, coming from Saga), and it's what the ("used") Ellis I have came in.

Tangentially, I've always wondered how good of a case it is, considering anything else is a $2/3/5x price multiple, but thanks to a geezer brain fault a couple days ago, I'll say it's not bad. I was a little scattered, and in a hurry to get on my way to a small bluegrass jam after not being able to [again] locate the car keys... Backing out of the garage I heard a small thump, and thought, "odd, I usually lay the cases flat in the back of the CR-V," but kept going. The next sound was not a thump, but more of a crunch... Only then did I remember that I'd not actually put the instruments in the back because I didn't have the keys in my pocket when I set them down!

So, I found both the guitar and mandolin cases under the CR-V. The guitar case had been placed so the back tires cleared it on both sides; but the Superior case was not so lucky and the one rear tire (AWD!) rolled over the bottom end of the case. I was a bit pale when I carried them both back in the house - probably close to the shade of the mandolin case... But, miraculously, the guitar, which I pulled out first, was completely untouched, and even the mandolin (the Kentucky, which for another reason was in the case I'd normally have the Ellis in) came out in one piece, still in tune. The only "damage" was the carpenter jack had been pushed off, and the marks left are not going to buff out, but not a crack anywhere.

And, besides that, I like that the case has D-rings for a shoulder strap! I'm thinking I might get another/new one!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2832.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	455.8 KB 
ID:	212265

I have a Superior fiberglass A style case, and with multiple different A style mandolins, it fits with the tone-gard. It is black, so I'm not sure what other color options currently exist. My main gripe about this case is that for some reason it only has rubber grommets in one row on the side, so the case isn't balanced when you try to stand it up. I should also say that my opinion of the Crossrock A isn't what you mention. The typical A style Crossrocks do fit the tone-gard and come with inserts if the particular mandolin doesn't fit snug. For example, I have a Heiden Heritage A-50 that is smaller than the dimensions for the Crossrock. However, using their insert it works great.

Quote Originally Posted by Altmandw View Post
    ... I should also say that my opinion of the Crossrock A isn't what you mention. The typical A style Crossrocks do fit the tone-gard and come with inserts if the particular mandolin doesn't fit snug. For example, I have a Heiden Heritage A-50 that is smaller than the dimensions for the Crossrock. However, using their insert it works great.
    Hmm. I don't mention a Crossrock here, so I'm a bit confused, maybe the "you" is the OP (who probably has a case by now). But [tangentially], where I did mention it, if it was on this forum, it was when I was trying an F-style in it; and, besides the padding, it was the headstock area that I commented on, which, of course, is shouldn't be an issue with an A.

I can only find the Superior case in white, and only offered on the Saga site, and via a reseller at Walmart/Kmart/Sears (same seller at all locations). Still, it's on the list. The location of the bumpers on mine is just below the hinges, which provide the other contact point when setting the case down on its side. Seems Ok in the time I've had it, though it doesn't stay standing when backed over by a car ..

Quote Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
    Hmm. I don't mention a Crossrock here, so I'm a bit confused, maybe the "you" is the OP (who probably has a case by now). But [tangentially], where I did mention it, if it was on this forum, it was when I was trying an F-style in it; and, besides the padding, it was the headstock area that I commented on, which, of course, is shouldn't be an issue with an A.

I can only find the Superior case in white, and only offered on the Saga site, and via a reseller at Walmart/Kmart/Sears (same seller at all locations). Still, it's on the list. The location of the bumpers on mine is just below the hinges, which provide the other contact point when setting the case down on its side. Seems Ok in the time I've had it, though it doesn't stay standing when backed over by a car ..
    Sorry for my mistake with the “you.” I missed that error when proof reading and meant the OP.