Thread: Morgan Monroe Setup

Default Morgan Monroe Setup

I picked up this Morgan Monroe mandolin back in early 2015, my brother-in-law was a rep for a company who sold MM instruments so I picked it up at a very reasonable price. Setup from the Chinese factory was poor as you would expect, action was very high, nut slots not cut properly, cheap bridge, etc. I finally started to get into playing the mandolin after many years of playing guitar in a country/country rock band. I replaced the bridge with a Cumberland Acoustics full contact bridge, adjusted the truss rod (a little at a time over a few days), filed the nut grooves for the G strings, oiled the fretboard, cleaned it up nice, it plays great and sounds pretty decent in my opinion! (I have had a Martin HD-28 for years so I understand the need for a good acoustic sound) I usually don't purchase cheap instruments because you get what you pay for, but this MM is okay to learn on without getting frustrated with an unplayable instrument. I added some pics...the bridge fit perfectly after an hour of sanding sideways (you cannot slide a .002 feeler gauge under it anywhere), it stays in tune and is intonated pretty good. Maybe one day I'll look at a quality mando, who knows! Take care everyone!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0908221435_resized.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	287.3 KB 
ID:	203163   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0908221218_resized.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	241.6 KB 
ID:	203161   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0908221400_resized.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	168.8 KB 
ID:	203162  

2. The following members say thank you to rcsmith83 for this post:

Default Re: Morgan Monroe Setup

Enjoy!
    2021 The Loar LM700 VS