Thread: Washburn M-1/SB

Default Washburn M-1/SB

Hi

I am the lucky recipient of a Washburn Mandolin, M-1/SB serial 593550.

I know nothing about Washburn, but since it was given to me, I want to get it fixed up as a spare for my Eastman.

I play left handed and the Washburn is right handed so I'm thinking of doing a conversion with a new bridge and nut and see how it plays.

Can anyone tell me about this mandolin? The fellow who gave it to me is 90 years old and gave away all his instruments. I also have a student violin from him (wont convert that one, lol). I believe this has sat in his closet for a long long time.

Thanks in advance for any info. It looks to be in nice shape. It's so old there was no case, just an old cardboard box.

Alf

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Default Re: Washburn M-1/SB

It’s a great mandolin especially at its price point. Washburn themselves is a brand name out of the Lyons and Healy brand - cheaper instruments through catalogues if memory serves.

Over the last few decades Washburn has shown to make quality instruments. I bought mine in Nashville. It needed a setup and feet dressing. But I think it had been in the wall for a long time. It’s got a nice clear sound and is pretty easy to play. You should enjoy it once it’s set up. As for left handed, I imagine, again, done properly, you’ll have a great instrument that will take you a long way on your playing journey.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

thanks for the info, appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by David Lewis View Post
    It’s a great mandolin especially at its price point. Washburn themselves is a brand name out of the Lyons and Healy brand - cheaper instruments through catalogues if memory serves.

Over the last few decades Washburn has shown to make quality instruments. I bought mine in Nashville. It needed a setup and feet dressing. But I think it had been in the wall for a long time. It’s got a nice clear sound and is pretty easy to play. You should enjoy it once it’s set up. As for left handed, I imagine, again, done properly, you’ll have a great instrument that will take you a long way on your playing journey.

4. The following members say thank you to astutzmann for this post:

Teacher, repair person

A couple of things:

To convert the instrument for left handed playing, it is not necessary to replace the whole bridge. You can just replace the saddle and leave the base alone. The nut will have to be altered or replaced.

The Lyon & Healy company sold off the Washburn name in 1928. Washburn instruments continued to be made by others until the early 1940's, and then the name fell out of use for several decades. The current Washburn company was established in the 1970's, and although their advertising implies a historical connection to the original company, no real connection to the original company exists except for the name. The modern era Washburn mandolins have always been manufactured overseas.

6. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post:

thanks for the info. Yes, I agree, I have ordered a left hand saddle, should work just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by rcc56 View Post
    A couple of things:

To convert the instrument for left handed playing, it is not necessary to replace the whole bridge. You can just replace the saddle and leave the base alone. The nut will have to be altered or replaced.

The Lyon & Healy company sold off the Washburn name in 1928. Washburn instruments continued to be made by others until the early 1940's, and then the name fell out of use for several decades. The current Washburn company was established in the 1970's, and although their advertising implies a historical connection to the original company, no real connection to the original company exists except for the name. The modern era Washburn mandolins have always been manufactured overseas.

If the string height above the 1st fret is too high, which I think it will be, there is no need to disturb the nut. You should be able to simply file for the proper string gauge as you bring it down to acceptable levels at the 1st fret.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

+1 on Washburn making quality instruments in that period, as others have said, setting up as a lefty presents no real issues.

thanks everyone