Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Herschel Sizemore passes

Default Re: Herschel Sizemore passes

Herschel and his wife , Joyce, have been dear friends for many years. Of course, he was one of the finest mandolin players and his style set the stage for many of the good ones to follow. He was the king of clean, and every note had a purpose. He never seemed to overplay a tune. He also was one of the finest men I have ever known. His character was impeccable and he was always a joy to be around. About 17-18 years ago he brought one of his Loars to me. It wasn’t working right and he wanted to know what the problem was. It didn’t take long to find the problem and get it fixed, and that mandolin is the best Loar I have ever played in my opinion. I called to tell him it was ready. He said he could not get there to pick it up for awhile, and wanted me to take it home and play it for him and get it broke in (not up��) so it would be ready to use. I tried to explain I was pretty uncomfortable with that idea. After his continued insistence, I agreed to do that. I had it for about 3 months before he got back to pick it up. I don’t think any mandolin had such close care as that one did in my possession. I have numerous memories, and that is one I won’t forget. I knew he was very sick but when I got the call that he passed, it really hurt. I love living, but the hard part about being old is losing those we really care about are leaving way too fast. His status as a legend should last a very long time.o
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Big Joe For This Useful Post:

Thanks for that story. Did he own multiple Loar's?
    ... in addition to this one:
    http://www.mandolinarchive.com/gibson/serial/73011

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Thanks for that story. Did he own multiple Loar's?
    At one time he owned 5.

Blog Entries

Herschel was my mandolin hero. I will never forget how he taught me how to play the mandolin in the band bus at the festival sight . That's the great memories for me. R.I.P

6. The following members say thank you to masa618 for this post:

AlanN 

I was at the Alan Bibey camp and Alan paid a great tribute to Herschel and also played a rippin' version of Rebecca.

Does anybody know where I can stream Mandolin in B?

8. The following members say thank you to Trader Todd for this post:

AlanN 

Funny story:

At IBMA one year, I go up to him all proud and start to pick Fiddler's Creek (in A chord!). He stops me right there and says "Uh, Alan, that's in Bb". I was mortified. I had Bounce Away on a cassette tape copy and learned it from there. Seems the tape had deteriorated over time and slowed down, changing the pitch. We laughed mightily!

10. The following members say thank you to AlanN for this post:

Would love to get a digital version of Bounce Away . I appreciate the person who uploaded the album to YT, but it is noticably compressed and doesn't sound very good. I shouldn't complain though. Its the only way to listen to it digitally as far as I know.
    Last edited by Jay; Oct-02-2022 at 2:31pm.

You can download Bounce Away from iTunes.
    Kirk

2007 Kimble F5
    1985 Kentucky KM 650

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Higgins View Post
    You can download Bounce Away from iTunes.
    Thanks for the heads up. I think this is new. Its also on Amazon, and the release date in both places is 2022.
    I see it on Spotify as well now.

Blog Entries

Herschel will be missed; I enjoyed our talks in the past! He was a true Gentlemen in every aspect. I remember at the last Loarfest myself and Uncle Gene Johnson were watching Herchel play a Loar and I looked at Gene and said something like "yep he's the tone man"! Gene replied and said yes he is and I've known him since the 1960's and he always was!

On another sad note "I was going to start a new thread but forgot how as I'm a tech idiot! And I'll be the first to admit it"! Great Uncle Dick Smith passed away recently as well, so did Auntie June-Uncle Gene's wife. Please keep all in your prayers! God Bless

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to William Smith For This Useful Post: