Thread: Cannot Name This Chord

Blog Entries

Default Cannot Name This Chord

I have been using a chord in a little tune with the notes G D B A. What is the name of this chord ? I’ve researched and find conflicting results. Thanks.
    G string open
    D string open
    A string second fret (B)
    E string fifth fret (A)
    Last edited by Tmurphy; Sep-11-2022 at 10:21am. Reason: Add tag

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Cannot Name This Chord

I think that's Darcy.

More properly, looks like a Gadd9. G-D-B is an inversion of G, and the A is the ninth tone. I believe a true G9 chord would also include the 7th tone; this does not (Theory students will weigh in on that.) Also, 0023 is the basic G chord; Darcy here includes raising the higher G to an A.

There may indeed be other names for it, but that G-D provides a strong G chord presence, plus the B note completes the major triad.

Another fingering which includes these notes is 4555. I've long liked the sound of that.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

3. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Blog Entries

Thank you journeybear. I have very little theory knowledge, your note helps my understanding.
    I composed a tune that uses the chord construction I described because I found it sounds just right at that point in the tune.
    If I am understanding you correctly the Gadd9 describes this stricture?
    Best, Tim

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

6. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Gadd9 is definitely correct, and as journeybear mentioned, with the dom7 plus the 9 it would be called a G9.

Not to get too pedantic, but I’ll point out that your chord could be considered simply a G9 with the b7 omitted on a four string instrument, but again, typically the root, third, or fifths would be omitted for a G9.

So … more info than you really need, but bottom line is that Gadd9 is what you’re playing unless the context of the chord progression suggests something totally different.

The thing that matters most in music is not, “what’s the name for that chord?”, but rather, “does it sound good?”
    Last edited by Mark Gunter; Sep-11-2022 at 6:07pm.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gunter View Post
    The thing that matters most in music is not, “what’s the name for that chord?”, but rather, “does it sound good?”
    Or maybe "What do you use it for?"

I used to teach AP music theory, but it was based in the classical European tradition. Chords were analyzed in terms of intervals, not on which note was on the bottom or top.
    Anyway, when I started learning Jazz and swing chords on the mandolin with Tom Connell, I was confused with things like "flat 9th without the root as substitute for V7." But they make perfect musical sense and sound good. Yes, it's a Gmaj with an added 9, technically not a 9th chord because as Mark Gunter pointed out the flat 7 is omitted. If the A resolves to a G (as in Beatle's "Yesterday") it might be an appogiatura, but rhythm is also a factor in that.
    I use that chord in some songs, it's cool; don't tell my AP Theory students.
    jim
    Jim

Dr James S Imhoff
    Boston University
    Oregon Mandolin Orchestra

1912 Gibson K4 Mandocello; Thomann Mandocello; Stiver F5; American? Bowlback; Martin 00016; Dusepo Cittern/liuto cantabile

Stop the chop!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tmurphy View Post
    I have been using a chord in a little tune with the notes G D B A. What is the name of this chord ? I’ve researched and find conflicting results. Thanks.
    G string open
    D string open
    A string second fret (B)
    E string fifth fret (A)
    As always, a question of conext and function. What's the tonality of your piece, what kind of chord structure, how does this chord enter the form, is the a melody note? It could be a passing a over a g chord in G, it could also be the upper part of an em7, etc. etc. etc. Can you name the chords before and after this chord?

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ralph johansson For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Mark, your input is very helpful, and the kind of insight that helps me understand just a bit more theory. Thank you.
    Tim

Blog Entries

In my ear the Gadd9 ties this portion of the tune together. D G Gadd9 G open strings D. Thank you Ralph.
    Tim

Blog Entries

Very cool and helpful Jim. Your comments and those of the other MC folks are appreciated and put to use. Thank you.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by ralph johansson View Post
    As always, a question of conext and function. What's the tonality of your piece, what kind of chord structure, how does this chord enter the form, is the a melody note? It could be a passing a over a g chord in G, it could also be the upper part of an em7, etc. etc. etc. Can you name the chords before and after this chord?
    This is correct. To properly name any chord requires context in the piece. Without context and some time for some head scratching that chord could be named one or more names based on any of the 4 notes in the chord. Gadd9, Dadd9/G, A7sus4, Em7sus4.... Then considering that the root of a chord can be left out there are even more possibilities. I'm not in the mood to scratch my head that hard this morning.

"In my ear the Gadd9 ties this portion of the tune together. D G Gadd9 G open strings D. Thank you Ralph.
    Tim"
    Sure thing - Gadd9 in that context makes sense to me.

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Clausen View Post
    Or maybe "What do you use it for?"
    Well yes, as I mentioned in my earlier post, in context matters and could suggest something totally different than G … what you use it for matters … but how it sounds in context matters more, IMO.

ALL theory aside, what matters most in music is what sounds good in context.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

17. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post: