Thread: P. Bianculli?

Default P. Bianculli?

A friend who is cataloging his 78's asked if I knew anything about P. Bianculli, a mandolinist on one of his discs. I found this on discogs:

Pasquale Bianculli
    Profile:
    Italian-born American mandolin and violin player and occasional conductor (born November 16, 1878 in Marsico Vetere, Provincia di Potenza, Basilicata, Italy – died June 11, 1940 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, U.S.A.)

Bianculli accompanied baritone Carlos Francisco on a 1904 Victor recording. From 1909 to 1927, he worked as a studio musician for the Victor Talking Machine Co., playing in the Victor orchestra and accompanying singers like Enrico Caruso, Emilio De Gogorza, Frances Alda and many others on the mandolin and Olive Kline, Harry Lauder, and Laura Littlefield on the violin.

And this in Carter's The Mandolin in America (p. 29):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 4.19.05 PM.png 
Views:	37 
Size:	179.7 KB 
ID:	203244

Bianculli is mentioned in a note by Sparks, The Classical Mandolin, as an accompanist on Caruso recordings.

Anyone with more info, up close and personal?

Thanks.

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Default Re: P. Bianculli?

Joe, this is the era Sheri Mignano has documented in her "Mandolin Heroes in America" but unfortunately Bianculli's name doesn't show up there.

I wonder if she might have some information, though.

Hopefully, she finds the thread.

If not you might send her a PM.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

3. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

Thanks, Mick. Yes, I checked Mando Heroes as well as Mandos like Salami. I also checked Bone's The Guitar and Mandolin to no avail.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joe Bartl For This Useful Post:

I am sure that I did a search on Library of Congress and got quite a few results for Bianculli: https://www.loc.gov/search/?in=&q=Bi...i&new=true&st=

Discography and links to the recordings on this site: https://adp.library.ucsb.edu/index.p...00/Bianculli_P

There is a guitarist of the same name still around but obviously. I wonder if he is named for his grandfather? https://bergmann-edition.com/collect...culli-pasquale

I am sure that your friend found these link already. I am not sure what else he wants to know.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post: