Thread: My first Bowlback

Blog Entries

Default My first Bowlback

https://youtube.com/shorts/mriXAPESvxs

Amada bowl back mandolin from the Czech Republic. #0556. 50’s era.

I know that this is not a high end unit and the 50's era is not too old but it is about the only one that I could find that was not in deplorable condition.

We all have to start somewhere and I am pleased to have a mandolin in this form factor.

Certainly takes some getting used to.
    Northfield Calhoun Mandolin
    Eastman MD505 Mandolin
    Seagull S8 Mandolin
    Godin A8 Mandolin

Fishman Loudbox Mini
    Blue Chip Picks

Wayne

2. The following members say thank you to Wayne Bagley for this post:

Default Re: My first Bowlback

My first bowlback was Czech as well; bought in 1965, new, from a pawnshop for $39. It had brass frets which I wore out in about a year, and I was told it would be a lot cheaper to buy a new one than to refret it. I really enjoyed that mandolin. (I think it might have had a zero fret, but I don't actually remember).

4. The following members say thank you to Bob A for this post:

Blog Entries

Mine has an extra fret at the nut. I have never seen that before and frankly I was baffled about it. I assume that is what you are talking about when you said zero fret??? I certainly have never heard about this until now.
    I don’t understand why that was designed like that. I would appreciate input on the subject.
    Northfield Calhoun Mandolin
    Eastman MD505 Mandolin
    Seagull S8 Mandolin
    Godin A8 Mandolin

Fishman Loudbox Mini
    Blue Chip Picks

Wayne

The zero fret is found more often in Europe. It avoids the very delicate job of shaping the nut slots to a few thousandths of an inch, and friction issues that are related that make sticky tuning. That is, the vibrating part of the strings ends right at the fret. The fret, easy to adjust when setting up initially, and durable, makes sense, but tradition seems to favor not using it. There also are various beliefs about nut acoustic properties, materials etc. Not as rich as lore about strings, picks, and varnish, but enough to discuss at length.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Richard500 For This Useful Post:

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

I have a few Italian bowlbacks with a combination brass nut / string spacer and zero fret.

The assumed wisdom is that with a zero fret that open strings would sound more the same as fretted ones.

On my DeMeglio, Ceccherini and Vinaccia bowls, I would agree that they do.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

9. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by brunello97 View Post
    I have a few Italian bowlbacks with a combination brass nut / string spacer and zero fret.

The assumed wisdom is that with a zero fret that open strings would sound more the same as fretted ones.

On my DeMeglio, Ceccherini and Vinaccia bowls, I would agree that they do.

Mick
    That combined item is interesting. I was checking my veracity before commenting, and found a video explaining a ‘new’ similar product for guitars, which simplifies converting from nut to zero fret. The claim was that the zero was catching on in (quality) guitar construction after years of being identified with low cost instruments. A combined piece of hardware would just be a drop-in instead of carpentry.