Thread: Mandolin case comparison (for A-models)

Default Mandolin case comparison (for A-models)

So, over the years, I’ve had multiple cases and asked a lot of questions. However, those discussions often fall into things like: get a Travelite, Mike Marshall uses one for his Loar; if you care about your instrument, only a Calton/Hoffee/Pegasus will do; I’ve never needed anything other than a generic, just be careful; I’ve travelled the world with just a gig bag; etc. All decent points, but they aren’t so helpful when you just want to buy the best case for you.
    So, in my basement right now I happen to have some of the most common alternatives to an OHSC. I have a Calton, a Bobelock Arrow, a Travelite, and a Superior fiberglass A-model. I purchased a Crossrock Fiberglass, but the fit was awkward and sloppy for the mandolin I was purchasing it for.
    I’ve been looking for a case for my Collings MT with a Tone-Gard. The Collings-branded TKL, while a lovely case, is too shallow for the MT with its Tone-Gard. My Calton fits the Collings perfectly, but it does weigh a lot and is awkward to lug around.
    So…here’s a comparison of these five cases. I tested each case with a Collings MT, a Breedlove American OO, and a Kentucky KM-276.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D299C870-14BB-461C-8B36-FF090BBB5E44.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	582.0 KB 
ID:	203247

Name:	7953822E-15CC-49E2-AFD3-471D83C6D93D.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	719.9 KB 
ID:	203248

TKL (Collings branded). All fit very snugly. To me, they feel too snug. With a Tone-Gard, it’s a no go. It has super tiny pocket. Picks and a tuner, that’s it. Strings can fit under headstock. Metal feet on back and side opposite handle. Hinges are expected to double as feet. Handle is nice leather. Probably the best of the bunch. Three latches that feel cheap (stamped metal). No d-rings for straps. It’s maybe a bit lighter than the Bobelock. It’s a bit longer than the Superior, with otherwise similar dimensions.

Name:	9E80E2AA-A4EB-4196-9D96-4519D174EA8E.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	743.3 KB 
ID:	203249

Bobelock - with the Collings, some side to side andfront to back slop. Plenty of room for headstock. Has a velcro tab to hold neck in place and it’s a suspension style case. It does feel like a violin case, as it should given the company is known for its violin cases. With the Breedlove, less side to side movement, but more front to back. With Kentucky it’s a near perfect fit. Case pocket is small and at the end of the case. Just two latches, they are flip latches and the nicest of the bunch. Rubber valance all the way around. Stays open well on its own. Rubber feet on bottom and back and side opposite handle. 4 d-rings for a shoulder strap or backpack straps. Comes with a cover. Cover has a large pocket and has a subway strap at the top. I really like subway straps. Enormous seatbelt material shoulder strap included which heavy and awkward. Backpack straps available from Bobelock. They are ok, but there are better options available aftermarket. Case has a cheap hard plastic handle. Nice for a plastic handle, but a real downer compared to the others. It comes in a few colors, which is nice so your case doesn’t accidentally wander. There is some slight flex to the top when I push on it. $295 with the cover in red, blue, ivory, or black.

Name:	F130E4A3-C4A8-42FE-B2AF-0C09F1637A6A.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	633.3 KB 
ID:	203250

Name:	9211629D-C0CC-473F-8545-39C1868E0DCF.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	629.1 KB 
ID:	203251

Travelite: first off, does not want to stay open on its own. Collings is perfect fit. Breedlove fit has half inch of movement back to front. Kentucky is snug and perfect. Pocket will hold a pack of strings. Really only fully functional pocket in the bunch. Zips all the way around. The center latch has two gnarly teeth on it, which make me nervous. Metal feet on bottom, back, and side opposite handle. 3 rings on bottom for backpack style straps (included, but cheap). Two piece, gig bag style handle. $95 makes it the budget choice.

Name:	95EF5BDF-9902-4015-A55E-D1C7ECE2A586.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	894.6 KB 
ID:	203252

Name:	E5BF045F-0230-4989-81B2-7324E18FB067.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	203253

Calton: Collings fit is perfect. Breedlove has about 1/3 inch back and forth. Kentucky is super snug. Pocket is decent. If you took your strings out of the cardboard package, you could fit a set in there. Three latches with bumpers protecting each latch. Rubber bumpers all around. 4 d rings for shoulder strap or backpack straps. Rubber valance all the way around. Can buy a cover aftermarket. The cover is great, but will cost same or more than the other cases. Nice leather handle. Zero flex in the fiberglass. Any color you want. Of course, they are crazy-expensive. $1250 +350 for a cover.

Name:	4F3C96DC-0C38-4741-BA9A-C2DD3A1CF808.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	798.6 KB 
ID:	203254

Name:	163D2320-83EE-4119-832A-1A78EE825335.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	744.8 KB 
ID:	203257

Superior: Collings a near perfect fit. Breedlove has maybe 1/4 inch back to front and 1/3 inch side to side…headstock is touching the end, but Breedloves have a longer than average headstock. Kentucky, is once again, a near perfect fit. Pocket is quite small, will hold a tuner and picks. There really isn’t even room under the headstock for a pack of strings. You’d have to take them out of their cardboard for them to fit at all. Four standard draw latches. Rubber feet on bottom and side opposite handle. 2 D-rings for shoulder strap (but no backpack option). Rubber valance all the way around. Decent shoulder strap included. Soft comfortable nylon handle. The top has a bit of flex when I push hard on it. It’s $212 and only in white (which I really like).

Name:	C16B349E-F011-4FA2-A0A4-B337B443FD1C.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	622.3 KB 
ID:	203255

Name:	388DCB89-A7EC-4BFC-BCAA-E84222506F69.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	948.6 KB 
ID:	203256

Size and weight: the Travelite is lighter than the superior, but not by much. These two are the lightest of the bunch. The Travelite is the largest case here. The Bobelock is about an inch longer than the Travelite, but smaller in all other dimensions.
    Excluding the length of the Bobelock, the Travelite is longer, wider, and thicker than the others.
    It’s no surprise the Calton is the heaviest, with the Bobelock falling somewhere between it and the Superior. The Calton and the Bobelock are similarly sized, with the Superior and the TKL the smallest.

So, for me and my main mandolin (my Collings), my Calton will be where my Collings will go when I travel, and the Superior will be my about town case. I wish it had rings for backpack straps and more room in its pocket. It’s compactness and lightness have sold me.
    The Bobelock is great, and my daughter (who mostly plays my/her Breedlove) likes the case. The Travelite is just too bulky, too onerous (with the zippers), and too worrying with the latch to be much but storage for the Kentucky. The Crossrock, if it had fit my Collings might have been preferable to the Superior because it has a subway strap. But, it looks like an F case and fit like one.

I don’t think you can go wrong with either the Bobelock or the Superior. The Bobelock is, I think, a better overall case, but not the case I was looking for at this time (and it already has an instrument that resides in it. If I had to pick just one, it would be the Calton…but thankfully I don’t.
    Collings MF (2004)
    Collings MT Gloss-Top Wide Neck (2015)
    Breedlove American OO (2013)
    Martin 000-18 (2016)
    Guild D-35 (1976)
    Paramount Style A (1927)
    Vega Little Wonder (1916)
    Ibanez AVT1NT (2019)

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to nultylynch For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Mandolin case comparison (for A-models)

Nice write up, thank you.

4. The following members say thank you to 707erich for this post:

Nice write up. I also like the Superior for around town and the Calton when I feel like I need some extra protection.

I assume "subway handle" means a handle at the headstock end? I've not owned a case with that type handle, and not sure how much I would use it.

My MT2 lives in a Superior, and I really like it--mine has a leather or at least leather-like handle. I like being able to leave the small D'Addario headstock tuner on with out it hitting bottom of case. I usually get strings that come 3 to a packcage and don't mine keeping a spare set w/o the cardboard box in the case. I also have a small dog cover if I am traveling, camping etc and want to carry extras.

My F model lives in a Presto arrow case. I really like it too--too bad they are no longer available.

Thanks for review
    Russ Jordan

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Levine View Post
    Nice write up. I also like the Superior for around town and the Calton when I feel like I need some extra protection.
    I like the Superior case too, not made to be a flight case but has plenty of protection for everything else and at four and a half pounds it’s light. I also have the Collings TKL case, it’s nice but it never has closed up right, I always have to push on the back of the case top and close the center latch first or the latches wont line up, the latches they used are poorly designed for this case, they’re very large and hang below the case when opened, more sized for a guitar and in my opinion totally out of proportion for a small mandolin case.

8. The following members say thank you to 707erich for this post:

DougC 

Excellent review. Thanks.

Adam

Great review! Thanks for your insight and being willing to compare.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Jordan View Post
    I assume "subway handle" means a handle at the headstock end? I've not owned a case with that type handle, and not sure how much I would use it.
    I do mean a handle at the headstock end. I like that I can hold on to the instrument without taking up much space beyond my body. I'm less likely to bonk the case into something.
    Collings MF (2004)
    Martin 000-18 (2016)
    Guild D-35 (1976)
    Paramount Style A (1927)
    Ibanez AVT1NT (2019)

Thanks for all the info! The quest for the ultimate mid priced case is real.

The Collings TKL puts at least some pressure on the bridge which is a deal breaker for me.

I've heard that Superior cases would not accommodate a tone Guard and Arm rest but you've proved that wrong. How does the Superior secure the mando? At the Tailpiece, sides, the neck, or bridge pressure?

I have two Crossrocks right now and, while I think they are a great value, the inside is a bit sloppy both in fit and finish. Picks can slide through the storage compartment. I like that it is held by the tailpiece and neck but the neck support is a bit sloppy and it cn move about there too. Outside is great though.

I guess I'm still looking for a case with the Crossrock fiberglass exterior and the Zeta hybrid case interior. Is that too much to ask?
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

Dave Berry

Quote Originally Posted by nultylynch View Post
    Travelite: first off, does not want to stay open on its own.
    Thanks for this write-up. I have a Calton and Travelite and have been using the latter pretty much all the time recently though it is annoying it doesn't stay open on it's own which makes it's hard to place your case out for tips or to sell merch unless you lean it against something. There must be a better workaround for this but I haven't found it.
    Dave
    Gilchrist A3 #03539, Kimble A5 #122, Gibson A4 #65987
    https://linktr.ee/davidalanberry

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Leyda View Post
    I've heard that Superior cases would not accommodate a tone Guard and Arm rest but you've proved that wrong. How does the Superior secure the mando? At the Tailpiece, sides, the neck, or bridge pressure?
    It has raised pads at the mandolin’s three o’clock and nine o’clock. These pads are on the bottom and on the lid. There is also a pad on the lid above the neck block.

Name:	6A5EF4C9-4B87-42DA-8601-7F69EA002E0C.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	815.8 KB 
ID:	203303

Name:	80D5E29C-FEDB-4A38-8FED-C8EBA6A9FC66.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	203304
    Collings MF (2004)
    Martin 000-18 (2016)
    Guild D-35 (1976)
    Paramount Style A (1927)
    Ibanez AVT1NT (2019)

15. The following members say thank you to nultylynch for this post:

I have TKL and Superior cases (and like them,) but will keep my eyes open for a deal on a Bobelock case (I like the idea of suspending my Mandolin.) Thanks for a pretty comprehensive review (and I like you let us know what you based your review on.)

Eastman FG specific A5 fit, has 3 D rings for backpack carry ..

Pegasus puts a D ring by the hinge , and their strap goes over chest & shoulder hooking into a D ring that holds one end of the handle.

that an F5 type, also facilitated back pack carrying...
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    Eastman FG specific A5 fit, has 3 D rings for backpack carry ..
    Is the Eastman case still available?
    Collings MF (2004)
    Martin 000-18 (2016)
    Guild D-35 (1976)
    Paramount Style A (1927)
    Ibanez AVT1NT (2019)