Thread: Gibson A4 Conversion

Default Gibson A4 Conversion

I'm considering a Gibson A4 from 1919, that has been converted from right hand to left hand...currently seeking details of the conversion and current condition. Assuming a professional conversion and sound structural condition, what would a reasonable value be?

Teacher, repair person

Default Re: Gibson A4 Conversion

We would need pictures of the mandolin to determine its condition and the quality of any work that has been done to accurately estimate its value.

The value of the mandolin would be dependent on its condition and originality. Ballpark prices on late teen's A-4's run from the low to high $2000's if the finish is original. If a left-handed conversion has been done, it probably won't have much of an effect on the asking price as long as the work was well done and the original right handed bridge and pickguard are included in the sale.

If I understand you correctly, the mandolin you are looking at has already been converted for left-handed play. Are you wanting to convert it back to right handed configuration?

Generally speaking, converting an A model from right handed to left handed, or vice versa, entails making a nut, fitting a new bridge, and a set of strings. A ballpark figure in my shop would be $200 - $250 + the cost of the bridge and strings.

You also have to determine what to do about a pickguard.

If you want to have a pre-fabricated left-handed pickguard installed, add another $50 in labor + the cost of the part.

- or -

If you want a handmade replica pickguard, add $200 - $250 including labor and materials. Celluloid is getting expensive.

If you are converting back to right-handed and the original bridge and pickguard are still with the instrument, all that would be required would be a new nut, strings, set up, and re-installation of the original bridge and pickguard. The cost in my shop would be somewhere around $150 - $175 + the cost of the strings.
    Last edited by rcc56; Sep-12-2022 at 5:02pm.