Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How much of a difference in sound does string gauge make?

Default Re: How much of a difference in sound does string gauge make?

I switch between medium and med./heavy…I personally like the 11.5 E string and the 41 G string…

Some folks play the mandolin; others only let the mandolin play them.

It comes down to which one are you.....
    www.condino.com

Crafted by hand in a workshop powered by the sun.

I concur with TD. I found the 11.5 E to put a little more body in that string on one of my mandos that is slightly weaker on the E.

Nickel Bronze strings are a bit mellower sound than PB, also last a bit longer. But the recommendation on picks is spot on. Try a heavier pick on a bright mando before changing strings.

I've already done a lot of exploring with picks and I'm far from done, and I have found that they can make a big difference, not just in the thickness, but material and shape too.

Blog Entries

I concur with the feedback given thus far and will add a vote for trying strings out. There are too many variables for a magic bullet answer.

For deepening while retaining volume, D’Addario Nickel Wound 75s have served me well. They have been my go to on the Hamlett. Recently, I ran out and so tried a set of J75s and liked them better than I did when the mandolin was new. It was really interesting. There had been a significant shift in something or other. The sound was way bigger and yes, open. So, I think the lesson is the journey never ends.

I’ll also add, when trying new string sets there seems to be something to trying two or three sets in a row. I have job idea why, but the mandolin seems to settle with them after a few sets. Maybe it’s from tweaking the setup, ir perhaps getting used to playing them, or maybe they’re shaking the instrument in new ways. Whatever the case, I’d recommend trying a few sets of whatever you’re experimenting with.

Interesting that little was said about types of music played! As a bluegrasser, it's been my experience that string sets, .038-.040 to .011-.0115, give more volume. The larger diameter also seems to give a degree of cut (maybe stridency) needed when playing in bands with banjos!
    Rush Burkhardt
    Towson, MD

Free opinions are worth exactly what you pay for them!