Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Strad-O-Lin almost identical to mine

Default Re: A Strad-O-Lin almost identical to mine

Glad to hear your new one sounds good. Hate to admit it, by the 1941 that I let go probaby sounds a bit better than my present solid wood model. Still would love to get one with a three piece neck. Or an Artist model.

That latest eBay listing also is local pickup only. Unless you can figure out who drop ships near the seller.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Platt View Post
    Glad to hear your new one sounds good. Hate to admit it, by the 1941 that I let go probaby sounds a bit better than my present solid wood model. Still would love to get one with a three piece neck. Or an Artist model.

That latest eBay listing also is local pickup only. Unless you can figure out who drop ships near the seller.
    Eric, I think a little research could identify a shipping outlet (UPS Store or similar) near Albany, Oregon and then a couple emails and phone calls could arrange it.

Mike, I am glad to hear yours meets your expectations, but even happier to hear that those tuners can be made "smooth as silk". Sounds like you got a real good one!
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sue Rieter For This Useful Post:

FIDDLES with STRADOLINS your_diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rieter View Post
    Eric, I think a little research could identify a shipping outlet (UPS Store or similar) near Albany, Oregon and then a couple emails and phone calls could arrange it.
    Now it says Shipping and handling US $102.34 and he will do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rieter View Post
    Mike, I am glad to hear yours meets your expectations, but even happier to hear that those tuners can be made "smooth as silk". Sounds like you got a real good one!
    She's a good one and was reasonable. If Jake doesn't have parts for those tuners I might.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to your_diamond For This Useful Post:

The one in Oregon https://www.ebay.com/itm/25575668602...mis&media=COPY Sold for $321.84 plus tax and it still needs set-up and/or possibly a new bridge.

Sue,
    Told you yours was a bargain!
    Mike

7. The following members say thank you to your_diamond for this post:

Sue, That price must include shipping. The winning bid was $219.50. I know, I bid $217! I had been looking forward driving down to Albany to pick it up. Luckily for the buyer, there is no sales tax in Oregon.

Yeah, he wanted like $102 in shipping, so if you're within driving distance that would've been sweet. Sorry you missed it by so little. It's so hard to decide what upper price should be when it comes to Ebay, and then there's always those software driven bids that sweep in faster than any human can bid.

No sales tax in NH either (or income tax, but that's another story), but tax is assessed on where the buyer lives, so if they live in a high sales tax environment, there will be an additional charge.

I'm so glad I have mine, as it seems like the prices are going up. I got mine on Craigslist and picked it up in person, so that made it a bit easier. And everything I paid went to the seller.
    Last edited by Sue Rieter; Oct-13-2022 at 5:14pm.
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

10. The following members say thank you to Sue Rieter for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by TonyLaboca View Post
    Sue, That price must include shipping. The winning bid was $219.50. I know, I bid $217! I had been looking forward driving down to Albany to pick it up. Luckily for the buyer, there is no sales tax in Oregon.
    Being outbid by $2.50 stings a little. Story of my life, though not always.

Looks like it needed some money spent on a set-up and you (like Sue) would be thinking about putting an adjustable bridge on it sooner or later (those bridges are awful). Plus, doesn't it need a case?

Interesting about taxes. I think I knew that somewhere back in the recesses of my mind. Being outbid is part of the game. You win some....

13. The following members say thank you to TonyLaboca for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by your_diamond View Post
    Being outbid by $2.50 stings a little. Story of my life, though not always.

Looks like it needed some money spent on a set-up and you (like Sue) would be thinking about putting an adjustable bridge on it sooner or later (those bridges are awful). Plus, doesn't it need a case?
    Besides the set-up, it also looked to me like the tuners, covers and tailpiece had some light rust on them. Made me worried about what the rest of the tuners look like. Hopefully not bad, but still probably need to be taken apart and lubed. Thought about it, but was on vacation and just got back.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin

15. The following members say thank you to Eric Platt for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by TonyLaboca View Post
    Interesting about taxes.
    In Sarasota, Florida we are paying 7% sales tax. My Stradolin cost me $183.50 + $74.92 Shipping + $18.09 Tax = $276.51 Total and I would have paid more. This one has a wonderful upgraded Brazilian Rosewood Bridge. The soft case is worn but nothing broken and fully functional (and cool Vintage Gold Interior). The 3 piece neck is similar to the one on The Artist Model SOL but I think this neck might be Poplar and Brazilian Rosewood, whereas the Artist is Flamed Maple (wish Mike E. could look at this or maybe Sue could ask Jake). Why a laminated back and solid sides? Were they running out of big pieces of Flamed Maple or staying below a price point? The mind wanders. Anyhow, it's as nice as any solid SOL (now I'm in trouble, lol).

FYI ebay adds the selling price to the shipping price and charges tax on all of it!!!
    I don't think Amazon charges tax on shipping!?!?!

It could be worse! In Manhattan sales tax is 8.88%

17. The following members say thank you to your_diamond for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by your_diamond View Post
    In Sarasota, Florida we are paying 7% sales tax. My Stradolin cost me $183.50 + $74.92 Shipping + $18.09 Tax = $276.51 Total and I would have paid more. This one has a wonderful upgraded Brazilian Rosewood Bridge. The soft case is worn but nothing broken and fully functional (and cool Vintage Gold Interior). The 3 piece neck is similar to the one on The Artist Model SOL but I think this neck might be Poplar and Brazilian Rosewood, whereas the Artist is Flamed Maple (wish Mike E. could look at this or maybe Sue could ask Jake). Why a laminated back and solid sides? Were they running out of big pieces of Flamed Maple or staying below a price point? The mind wanders. Anyhow, it's as nice as any solid SOL (now I'm in trouble, lol).

FYI ebay adds the selling price to the shipping price and charges tax on all of it!!!
    I don't think Amazon charges tax on shipping!?!?!

It could be worse! In Manhattan sales tax is 8.88%
    For laminate, I agree that it's price point. Wonder if it was also easier to form into the back arch? Seems that by the time the Second World War started, a lot of builders were using laminate backs on instruments. Especially arch top guitars. Probably to keep prices down.

It's interesting how SOL models can sometimes mix and match things. Like your 3 piece neck. My current one has the laminate (ebony or dark stained wood) strip under the fingerboard, but a one piece neck. And the fingerboard is very dark hardwood. Maybe rosewood. The advertising from the time says ebony, but it doesn't look like it.